This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The great Zune apocalypse

edited December 2008 in Technology
Apparently almost all of the Zune 30gb devices are frozen today at the reboot screen. I was listening to mine last night at about 3 AM and all of a sudden it rebooted and froze. Does anyone else on here have a Zune 30gb with the same problem? Any solutions? I am just letting my battery drain completely and hopefully that will help. What do you guys think could have caused this?

Comments

• What do you guys think could have caused this?
    Microsoft fucked up, every 3GB Zune has frozen and they're investigating the problem. Just sit and wait till they give the solution.
  • edited December 2008
    I don't know what caused this, but it happened to me too, but I just assumed that it is dying, since it has had syncing issues recently. And just to clarify, since one post refers to a 3gb and the other a 30gb, mine is the first gen, Halo version 30 gig.

Edit: For the record I was not listening to it when it happened, at about 11:00 am I tried to listen and it was locked up, then I hit reset, and it has been on the reset screen ever since.
    Post edited by DarthFasa on
  • What were you listening to at 3 AM when it rebooted?
  • I was listening to The Rolling Stones but I don't think that has anything to do with it. Many people are saying that it is from the newest firmware but I know my firmware is outdated as it always says "Update is needed" whenever I plug my Zune into my pc.
  • This happened to my ipod once. I clicked a button and it froze. All I could do was wait for the battery to die.
  • With the ipod simply hold down menu and the center button. It resets and you just carry on.
  • I thought you turned hold on then off again and then hold menu and center, what model you got?
  • edited December 2008
    I tried that, but it didn't work. This happened several years ago, when I was skiing. If I remember correctly it happened not to long after I bought it, it scared the shit out of me. It was the first ipod video.
    Post edited by meat and cheese on
  • Try resetting your iPod to solve common problems by pressing and holding the Menu and Select buttons until the Apple logo appears, about 6 to 10 seconds. You may need to repeat this step.

(Note: Please make sure that your iPod is fully charged and then toggle the Hold switch on and off before performing these steps.)
  • edited January 2009
    The Zune will self heal by 12 noon GMT on the 1st of Jan, its a leap year time keeping bug as mentioned here.
    Patch is on the way (in the next firmware update) for 2012, that's if anyone is still using it.
    Post edited by beefturkey on
  • Although I'm a big Zune fan, I can't help but laugh at this. Windows Media Player in my cellphone has no such problems, although it has problems of its own.
  • The Zune will self heal by 12 noon GMT on the 1st of Feb, its a leap year time keeping bug as mentionedhere.
    January, not February. And god, that is a really sad bug. One of the first things you should think off when keeping time is leap years. Also, why the heck did they hard program a fixed number of days into that thing?
  • This happened to one of my friends with a 30gb and I was on the phone with him when his froze. He was flipping out and I told him to just look online instead of calling the help line.

We both thought that it was just his zune getting old...
  • LOL Y2K BUG.

Just nine years too late.
  • I read somewhere that the bug was a fault in the processor being used in the Zune. Some other hardware also had the same bug which used the same processor, so it's probably not because of bad coding.
  • Maybe it's an issue with the IC's interpretation of time? Possibly a glimpse of things to come on January 19, 2038?