This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The 1% Rule

edited July 2006 in News
Consider this: while the 1% rule may apply universally, there are realms in which consumption requires more creative zeal than others.

I see a continuum of such. At one end, we have movies, anime, tv shows, manga, comics, and books. Consuming them is a relatively passive act. Further along the line, we see video games and kit models (Scott's gundams): just consuming them requires a higher level of interactivity, though not necessarily more creativity. (I don't see strictly following instructions for, say, a model as terribly creative, but it is just slightly more so than merely viewing a thing, as some interpretation and choice is required.) I'd posit D&D (or similar games) to be even further along the line: just "consuming" a role-playing game requires a high level of interaction and some creative zeal (in terms of character creation, for example).

Discuss.

Comments

• RymRym
    edited July 2006
    Tabletop role playing games seem to have two distinct levels.

In the first level are products that are sold in stores or created online. 1 dude writes the content, 10 give feedback, and the other 89 just buy it. In the second level, one dude runs it/creates it, 10 play it, and no one else cares ;^)

Anime used to be a hobby that required a great amount of zeal merely to be a fan of. It now takes practically zero zeal to do so. Thus, people who have the zeal are moving into interaction and creation with their excess time.

Zeal can be creative or non-creative. Zeal can drive a person to write a screenplay, or it can drive them to spend thousands of dollars importing rare old videogame systems in order to play them. It's an inherently neutral commodity.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Zeal can drive people to make bad movies. I just finished watching Bloodrayne. Holy God! What a stinker!
  • Zeal can make people not take showers i.g: someone didn't took a shower because they were adjusting their super doll. (I'm blaming the otaku funk on the zeal.)
  • I don't think that just consuming model kits or videogames suddenly puts a person in the 10% just because they have to interact with it. If the nature of the product is to be interacted with, then you are still just passively consuming when you interact with it. To move to that 10% you have to go farther then just playing the game or building the model. You have to talk about it with someone, maybe post about it in a forum, email the manufactor or developer, or maybe write a review on it.
  • I don't think that just consuming model kits or videogames suddenly puts a person in the 10% just because they have to interact with it. If the nature of the product is to be interacted with, then you are still just passively consuming when you interact with it. To move to that 10% you have to go farther then just playing the game or building the model. You have to talk about it with someone, maybe post about it in a forum, email the manufactor or developer, or maybe write a review on it.
    You got it :)
    It really depends on how you play the game. For instance starting a clan puts you in the 10%.
  • Yeah it does, but a videogame in and of itself is typically ment as a single player game, thus interacting with it is passive consumption in the 89%. Even a multiplayer game where you interact with other people still puts you in the 89% because that is the nature of the game, to play with other people. To take a strictly multiplayer game, one must join a clan, or a message board relating to the game in order to move to that 10%, because the 10% level interaction has to be greater then the interaction that takes place within the parameters of the game.