This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

2009 Anime Season Start!

Comments

• Where are the FMA torrents? Animesuki doesn't have any listed yet...
    Stop using that shit. Here, have seven different encodes. And promo's and FMA1 batches, etc.
  • FMA was interesting, but I think that if I hadn't already seen the original a lot of what is going on in this episode really wouldn't make sense. In that sense it sort of falls flat, and really isn't a good first episode to a series like this.
    That's the purpose of a first episode: hook you without revealing much plot. I enjoyed the darker tone and color palette, and the action was, in my opinion, much better done than the original. The only thing that really bugged me was the over-use of the short jokes (incidentally, the same complaint I have of the original).
    That's true, but I don't think if I hadn't already seen FMA I would be hooked by it. It seemed to be a lot of nudge nudge wink wink to the audience expecting them to already have an understanding of the show. The animation does seem to be really high quality, as good as the original looked this one looks better. Significantly so.
  • I am watching Dragonball Z Kai, don't judge me!
  • That's true, but I don't think if I hadn't already seen FMA I would be hooked by it. It seemed to be a lot of nudge nudge wink wink to the audience expecting them to already have an understanding of the show. The animation does seem to be really high quality, as good as the original looked this one looks better. Significantly so.
    Well, look at the first episode of the first FMA: nobody knew what was going on then, either. I suspect the second episode, much like the original, will start a backstory arc.
    Isn't that supposed to be the shortened version that is more like the manga?
    Isn't that supposed to be the shortened version that is more like the manga?
    Yeah, is Dragonball Z light. So hopefully there won't be filler arcs and episodes in which the protagonist will be charging up for 30 minutes.
  • So hopefully there won't be filler arcs
    Just as long as they have the episode when Goku and Piccolo learn how to drive, I will be perfectly fine without any other filler.
  • Isn't that supposed to be the shortened version that is more like the manga?
    It's just DBZ without the filler. And new OP/ED, graphics retouch, sound update, rerecorded voices. They cut it down from 270 to 100 or something like that.
  • It's just DBZ without the filler. And new OP/ED, graphics retouch, sound update, rerecorded voices. They cut it down from 270 to 100 or something like that.
    Dang. If it was cut down to under 50, I would have watched it.
  • So hopefully there won't be filler arcs
    Just as long as they have the episode when Goku and Piccolo learn how to drive, I will be perfectly fine without any other filler.
    That's the one I love and remember. It was hilarious! But it's most likely to be cut.
  • Anyone watched the new Mazinger yet? I've got it, but I haven't had the time to watch it.
  • Just watched Basquash. It's a sports anime with Mecha's playing basketball, but the scenery and animation is stunning! Especially the backgrounds, wow. It's worth just watching the first episode for that alone, regardless of the storyline or anything else.
  • Watched K-ON last night. I didn't like the fact that the main focus was on the clumsy, air-headed girl. The other girls were fine. The obviously pampered rich girl was cute when she dumped her french fries onto the other girls plate. Yes I'm probably going to hell for liking this crap.
  • Just watched Basquash. It's a sports anime with Mecha's playing basketball, but the scenery and animation is stunning! Especially the backgrounds, wow. It's worth just watching the first episode for that alone, regardless of the storyline or anything else.
    Just watched the first episode. The production value is jawdropping. Looks interesting. Going to keep at it at the very least for the animation. The only thing that annoyed me a bit was too much Gainax bounce with the black chick, but then again Gurren Lagann had the same with Yoko.
  • but then again Gurren Lagann had the same with Yoko.
    Yes, but Gurren Lagaan countered the "Gainax Bounce" by the show being made of pure awesome. Is Basquash even close to Gurren Lagaan's level of win?
  • Is Basquash even close to Gurren Lagaan's level of win?
    Nah, but the show itself is pure eye candy.
  • but then again Gurren Lagann had the same with Yoko.
    Yes, but Gurren Lagaan countered the "Gainax Bounce" by the show being made of pure awesome. Is Basquash even close to Gurren Lagaan's level of win?
    Time will tell. First episode was certainly stunning in it's production value. Actually, the first episode had quite a feeling of Gurren Lagann, but of course the story and characters are a lot different.
  • edited April 2009
    It is indeed pretty. The boobs were jiggly, but they weren't stupidly big like some American superhero comics, so that can be forgiven.
    Anyone watched the new Mazinger yet? I've got it, but I haven't had the time to watch it.
    It was incompre-freakin'-hensible. We LOL'ed.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • It is indeed pretty. The boobs were jiggly, but they weren't stupidly big like some American superhero comics, so that can be forgiven.
    Yeah, 'cuz American comics are the only comics with gigantic boobies. ^_~
  • When I think of American Comics, I think GREAT BIG JUBBLIES AS BIG AS HER HEAD!
    Manga may have major boobage, but it's not quite to the extent that I'm talking about.
    edited April 2009
    Anyone watched the new Mazinger yet? I've got it, but I haven't had the time to watch it.
    INCOMPREHENSIBLE! The first episode is the finale! ... It was hot blooded.
    Basquash. It's a sports anime with Mecha's playing basketball, but the scenery and animation is stunning! Especially the backgrounds, wow. It's worth just watching the first episode for that alone, regardless of the storyline or anything else.
    Yeah, when I saw the trailer I knew I would be watching the first episode for animation and backgrounds at the least. Nike must've poured quite some funds in that show.

Also, fuck, I should've posted Monday when nobody had yet said what I just said. I did not and now I'm just repeating, independently.

EDIT: I forgot to say. Sengoku BASARA is a great synonym for FUCK YEAR MANIME! Do not worry ladies, there's 'man' in 'woman'. LET'S PARTY!
    Post edited by ... on
  • Right now I think I'm watching Shin Mazinger Shougeki, Basquash, Sengoku Basara (mainly because of the Devil Kings link), and Asura Cryin' to ground me with cliche. At least until it bores me, then I'll drop it like it's hot.

I watched Shin Mazinger Shougeki just yesterday. Dear God, if every episode was a fraction as mad as this first one, this is gonna the robot show of the year.
  • (mainly because of the Devil Kings link)
    Devil Kings link? Dude, it's pretty much a straight up adaptation of those games. AND IT'S AWESOME MANIME!
  • Asura Cryin': Is..is Kaishaku lurking somewhere and laughing at me?
  • Right now I think I'm watching Shin Mazinger Shougeki, Basquash, Sengoku Basara (mainly because of the Devil Kings link), and Asura Cryin' to ground me with cliche. At least until it bores me, then I'll drop it like it's hot.

I watched Shin Mazinger Shougeki just yesterday. Dear God, if every episode was a fraction as mad as this first one, this is gonna the robot show of the year.
    It's Go Nagai, what do you expect?
  • Funimation.com has the first episode of the new FMA up, with subs. Its pretty awesome that anime companies are starting to do this more. Its only 5 days after the episode aired, so they are kinda countering the fan subs.

I just wish I didn't have to sit through those interactive ads. I had no idea that those kind of things existed.
  • they are kinda countering the fan subs.
    Do you even know what the goal of most fansub groups is/was? Funimation is not countering the fansubbers, they are doing what the fans want. Also, not another Hulu, not available in the rest of the world other than the USA. Crunchyroll is better in that regard, since the original content owners can use that to distribute across the globe all at once. One downside is that Shangri-La goes a lot further at actual HD resolutions.

Saki is crap by the way. Though it has lols in 'kong', 'pong' and 'chow'. They're seriously using the Chinese terms in the subtitles whilst the characters just use the Japanese terminology.
  • So the first episode of Eden of the East, or Higashi no Eden, aired yesterday, and subs have been put out. I was expecting it to be the best show this season, and after this awesome first episode I claim that I am right.

Episode 2 of K-ON! was basically more attempts at killing Nine.
  • Awesome. I am looking forward to it.
  • edited April 2009
    So the first episode of Eden of the East, or Higashi no Eden, aired yesterday, and subs have been put out. I was expecting it to be the best show this season, and after this awesome first episode I claim that I am right.

Episode 2 of K-ON! was basically more attempts at killing Nine.
    Dunno... if Cross Game keeps up its momentum, it might easily be the best of the season.
    Post edited by Σπεκωσποκ on