This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

DS games

edited July 2006 in Video Games
When the DS came out first, it was a tempting proposition to get it, but I never got around to getting one. And I must admit, so was the PSP, I was mostly put off by the price, but the more I listen to the show the more I am drawn to a DS; the release of the Lite has basically convinced me. Most of the games I see in store have not really attracted me, however, and I wanted to ask you guys what the most essential games for the system are. Now, I know this is all down to taste, but your opinions would be greatly appreciated (To everyone in the forums who owns a DS) I'm sure Mario Kart, and the new Mario bros...

Edit by Mr Period: Watch the run-on sentences and word/clause tenses.

Comments

• The quintessential games for the DS are, in my most knowledgeable opinion...

Mario Kart DS. The best version of the series yet; a must have.

Advance Wars DS. The best version of the series yet; a must have, but less so if you hate turn-based strategy.

New Super Mario Bros. Fills the gaping need for 2D side-scrolling that's been sitting and waiting for the past 10 years or so.

Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow. The best in non-linear, 2D Metroidvania gameplay yet.

Mario & Luigi: Partners In Time. Not as good as Superstar Saga (for the GBA; don't even get me started on all the amazing games for THAT system!) but well worth a purchase, especially if you're an action-RPG nut.

There. 5 games that everyone who buys a DS should own. There are certainly more, such as Meteos or Tetris DS for your puzzle fix, Trauma Center for your super-difficult-memorize-patterns-almost-a-shmup-type-game fix, Metroid Pinball for your pinball fix, Phoenix Wright for your obscure-yet-awesome-game-that-has-been-sold-out-for-a-year fix, or Kirby: Canvas Curse for your unconventional-touch-screen platformer fix. The list goes on, and that doesn't even begin to cover the GBA side of things (since yeah, you can play those too).
  • There are a bunch of threads on this already. But rather than try to find them I think I will turn this into the ultimate DS must-have thread. I've bought quite a few DS games, and these are the one I could not do without, in no particular order.
    • Kirby Canvas Curse
    • Advance Wars: Dual Strike
    • Trauma Center: Under the Knife
    • Tetris DS
    • Mario + Luigi: Partners in Time
    • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
    • Mario Kart DS
    • New Super Mario Bros.
    And here are the DS games that I am looking forward to. I will also list games that might never exist, but I would buy in a second if they did. Games marked as (maybe) are games I might buy, but I have to wait and see.
    • Final Fantasy 3
    • Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
    • Children of Mana
    • Diddy Kong Racing DS
    • Hotel Dusk: Room 215
    • Katamari DS
    • Mario 3 vs. 3 Basketball
    • Opera DS
    • Phoenix Wright: Justice for All
    • Pokemon Diamond/Pearl
    • Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
    • Star Fox Command (maybe)
    • Yoshi's Island 2
    • A new Wario game (maybe)
    • Dragon Quest: Rocket Slime (maybe)
    As you can see, the DS has a hojillion games of awesome.
  • Bomberman DS is FANTASTIC for any social occasion. 8-player wireless bombing is a riot, and download play is both quick and easy.
  • Thanks guys i know what to look for now.

"Edit by Mr Period: Watch the run-on sentences and word/clause tenses."

I didn't know other people (moderator?) could edit my posts.
    I know you were just doing it to make it more legible, but it still seems a bit pretentious..
  • Dutopia, see this post. I see absolutely nothing wrong with Mr. Period. I personally think he's an excellent addition to this forum.
  • Good grammar is a requirement for credibility.
  • edited July 2006
    Are they still making Phoenix Wright for the DS? I've been looking for a copy for months now, but I haven't found any outside of the super expensive ones that are being sold through eBay. Does anyone know where I can get a copy of it for a reasonable price?

EDIT:
    Nevermind, I just saw on Amazon that they are apparently re-releasing it on August 10th, so I can finally get a copy of it for a good price.
    Post edited by NinjaNed on
  • I bought a copy of Phoenix Wright from True Gamer for $70 Australian, which is the standard price for top DS games here. It was the last copy they had, though.
  • Are they still making Phoenix Wright for the DS? I've been looking for a copy for months now, but I haven't found any outside of the super expensive ones that are being sold through eBay. Does anyone know where I can get a copy of it for a reasonable price?

EDIT:
    Nevermind, I just saw on Amazon that they are apparently re-releasing it on August 10th, so I can finally get a copy of it for a good price.
    When Phoenix Wright was first released it sold out and became hard to get. Prices skyrocketed. I have heard that there have been a few reprints of the game since then, and some people have seen copies on store shelves. However, the game is still hard to find. Not all retailers were in on the reprints and some of those sold out even more. The game is easier to find now than it was months ago, but it's still not plentiful. I suggest that if you see one at MSRP, you buy it.
  • Yeah, I just preordered it off of Amazon for 30 bucks. Its should arrive around late August, so I suggest that anyone else that wants a copy should get it soon.
  • There are quite a few copies in the store I'm working in, must pick one up quickly so :)
  • Target are having a sale (in Adelaide) and I got Mario Kart for $46.95 (usually $69.95) I'm so happy, I can Mario Kart it up now!