This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090107 - KO Century Beast

edited January 2009 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we review the '90s OAV, KO Century Beast. In the news, there's a new vocaloid character, and the Read or Die director is making a movie.

Scott's Thing - Kill the Monthly
Rym's Thing - How to take a shower at RIT

Comments

• Is there a female video of how to take a shower at RIT? >_>
  • new vocaloid character
    The software maker Crypton Future Media has announced on Tuesday that the third virtual singer in its Character Vocal Series will be Megurine Luka.
    Third? Third voice-pack perhaps, but fourth character, no?

@Rym's thing, it's crucial that you watch that instructional video carefully .
  • edited January 2009
    Just a pair of shorts? that's fine with me. :p
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • Found this on the Youtube, sure it's the dub but eh...

• edited January 2009
    @Scott on My Japanese Coach:

I purchased this game back in November. I've been meaning to talk about it here, but I either forgot or was too lazy. I've only played a few a hours on this game, and my impressions so far is that the game is good for people already have a basic understanding of Japanese. Perhaps maybe a year because from what I've seen they don't really teach you about the basic articles of "wa" or "o". I have yet to also see any explanation of "ichi-dan" or "go-dan" verbs as well, however it could be in there in further lessons.

I've only studied Japanese for 2 years which was over 6 years ago. I was impressed that I still remembered and retained a lot of what I've learned and when I took the placement test in the game.

I think the oral part of the game is pretty cool. I like how you can record your own voice and compare what you said in Japanese with the instructor and see how well you did in pronunciation.

As for the writing, I find it a bit sub par. I do not like how they write "ki" or "sa". I was taught to not connect that bottom part character (the oval shaped stroke). If you lift your stylus just a little bit, it will count against you. There are a few others that don't separate the key strokes, so it takes some getting used to. I think it would have been better for them to have the actual character on the top screen showing the stroke order when you practice writing in Japanese instead of the phrase or word you are writing.

Overall the game is pretty cool, but for those who don't have a basic understanding or have taken any lessons in Japanese, it might be a bit more difficult.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I agree with you, but backwards. If someone has already had real Japanese lessons, then this game won't help them much. They will have to go through a lot of stuff they already know before unlocking the parts that let them learn kanji they might not know.

However I think that if you play this game, and then go get real lessons afterwards, that you will have a decent head start. The game alone isn't enough to learn correctly from, but it will give you a nice outline that you can fill in with real learning at some later point in time.
  • I agree with you, but backwards. If someone has already had real Japanese lessons, then this game won't help them much. They will have to go through a lot of stuff they already know before unlocking the parts that let them learn kanji they might not know.

However I think that if you play this game, and then go get real lessons afterwards, that you will have a decent head start. The game alone isn't enough to learn correctly from, but it will give you a nice outline that you can fill in with real learning at some later point in time.
    I guess you do have a point there. I was just checking out the game again and looked in the "Reference" section. They don't really have a practice kana/kanji writing. They have a sketch pad, but if you forgot what the character looks like, you really can't do much on the sketch pad nor can you compare what you wrote to see if you did it correctly.

I guess I can say that this game also helps for people who have already taken a few Japanese lessons, but didn't do anything after to help retain the information. If that makes any sense.

Also, the whack-a-mole game is stupid, imo.
  • @ Rym: Focus! Crucial!

@ Scott: Was it the lack of shower shoes that caused all your fungal infections?
  • I guess you do have a point there. I was just checking out the game again and looked in the "Reference" section. They don't really have a practice kana/kanji writing. They have a sketch pad, but if you forgot what the character looks like, you really can't do much on the sketch pad nor can you compare what you wrote to see if you did it correctly.
    According to the instruction manual, that's not what the sketch pad is for. The sketch pad is so that if you go to Japan, you can draw a picture of something you don't know the word for, and show it to a Japanese person. Stupid.

Apparently, after you complete a certain number of lessons the game will open up all of the remaining lessons all at once. If you reach that point, you should be able to learn all sorts of different kanjis.
    Also, the whack-a-mole game is stupid, imo.
    It's very stupid. So is the word search game. As far as I'm concerned only the multiple choice, flash card, fading character, and write card games are of any use. The memory game is ok, but it's too annoying to try to remember where the cards are, and also try to remember translations at the same time. It would be better if there was no time limit maybe. I mostly concentrate on the multiple choice and flash cards for learning vocabulary. I use the fading characters for memorizing symbols and the write cards to test myself.

The game just told me that after lesson 30 there will be no more roman-ji. So if I can make it past that point, then the game is doing something right.
  • @ Scott: Was it the lack of shower shoes that caused all your fungal infections?
    No.
  • Is there a female video of how to take a shower at RIT? >_>
    Females at RIT? HAHAHAHAHAHA!
  • Someone at the Japanese club I go to says she's found a good DS learning game, I'll ask her next week.
  • According to the instruction manual, that's not what the sketch pad is for. The sketch pad is so that if you go to Japan, you can draw a picture of something you don't know the word for, and show it to a Japanese person. Stupid.
    Oh. LOL. That's funny. I didn't read the instruction manual. My friend told me of this game and he is fairly fluent in Japanese. I just picked up the game based on his recommendations to help keep my nihongo skills up to par.
    The game just told me that after lesson 30 there will be no more roman-ji. So if I can make it past that point, then the game is doing something right.
    Ah. I think I'm on lesson 29. I'll have to give it a go and see how the rest of the game is. I've been too busy with other stuff.
    It would be better if there was no time limit maybe. I mostly concentrate on the multiple choice and flash cards for learning vocabulary. I use the fading characters for memorizing symbols and the write cards to test myself.
    I just thought of another cool memory game with practicing your pronunciation. The game would just be for you to say the word or phrase in Japanese. I don't think the game has the capability of recognizing how well you pronounce the words. However it would be cool for them to say the word/phrase in English then you have to say it in Japanese then after a certain amount of time it will then say the answer in Japanese. I think that would be interesting.

Also for those who are interested in game, using headphones or being in a fairly quiet room is a must. Try playing this game out in public = fail. However, it's mostly for when you pronounce the words and to hear how they are pronounced.
  • As far as comedic robot shows go, have either of you seen DaiGuard?

From the sounds of it, I'm going to have to find a copy of KO Beast. I think RightStuf put it out but it's not available on their site any longer.
  • From the sounds of it, I'm going to have to find a copy of KO Beast. I think RightStuf put it out but it's not available on their site any longer.
    I do think RighStuf put it out. Very strange that it's not on their site. Usually everything is on there. I suggest Amazon.
  • @ Scott: Was it the lack of shower shoes that caused all your fungal infections?
    No.
    I was teasing. We all have medical problems. You can make fun of my cancer. ^_^
  • I was teasing. We all have medical problems. You can make fun of my cancer. ^_^
  • I was teasing. We all have medical problems. You can make fun of my cancer. ^_^
    Oh noes! The cancer's pincers got me!!!! I am now deadzors.
    Is it sticking out its tongue? It is sticking out its tongue, is it not? Oh my god that image is adorable. Excuse me while I'm going awwwwwwwww.
  • Is it sticking out its tongue? It is sticking out its tongue, is it not? Oh my god that image is adorable. Excuse me while I'm going awwwwwwwww.
    I would have to disagree. It's just the mouth being open.
  • Is it sticking out its tongue? It is sticking out its tongue, is it not? Oh my god that image is adorable. Excuse me while I'm going awwwwwwwww.
    Don't break my dreams, it's far cuter if it's sticking out its tongue.
    Don't break my dreams, it's far cuter if it's sticking out its tongue.
    Agreed.
  • Heh, FYE. I don't know if this will make you angry, but that class is now worth one credit.