This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

60 Minutes Stories

GeoGeo
edited January 2009 in News
Due to how well respected and how credible the fantastic television show known as 60 Minutes is, I thought it would be a great idea if I made a thread where anyone can discuss (if they are able to see it) whatever story they have seen on the show.

I think I'll kick it off by discussing a particular story I saw just a few minutes ago (at the suggestion of my Sci-Fi Lit. teacher) which featured FMRI (Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging), which is quite simply put; mind reading. I love watching 60 Minutes (it's the only television I'll watch since I don't watch TV as much as I did in my youth), but I missed this story because I was away for a bit without a TV. If you wish to see the segment yourself but don't have cable (like Scrym), go here.

When I first heard about it, I immediately balked at the idea as people have tried to do things like this in the past, but at the end of the segment, I was convinced that this was indeed real. This technology is both amazing and terrifying. I am somewhat neutral on the issue of whether or not thoughts should be kept to ourselves. I'm sorry, but I'm not really able to articulate this into words that will make sense mostly because words really can't describe my reaction to this which was a mixture of both shock, awe, and fright. Perhaps somebody else would like to take a crack at it?

Comments

• I like Andy Rooney.

Relevant.
  • I am not 82.
  • edited January 2009
    This technology is both amazing and terrifying.
    Terrifying until someone makes a copper-based nanofiber weave to be threaded into the scalp. Faraday cages solve the worst problems; however, then you get the issue of not having the option of a medical MRI available. Perhaps a web of fibers you could energize by activating a separate implanted switch to shield your brain?

EDIT: Just realized how completely Transmet that sounded.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • GeoGeo
    edited January 2009
    You know what I find surprising? Even though Scrym doesn't have a TV (one with cable anyway), I thought they would have liked this show as it has reliable sources and is easily watched on the website (like every other show).
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I like Andy Rooney.Relevant.
    I also like Andy Rooney, and I liked this video. Rym and Emily didn't think the video was funny, but I think that's because they aren't as familiar with Andy Rooney as I am.
    You know what I find surprising? Even though Scrym doesn't have a TV (one with cable anyway), I thought they would have liked this show as it has reliable sources and is easily watched on the website (like every other show).
    I didn't know you could watch it online! Noes!
  • Posted By: GiygasYou know what I find surprising? Even though Scrym doesn't have a TV (one with cable anyway), I thought they would have liked this show as it has reliable sources and is easily watched on the website (like every other show).
    I didn't know you could watch it online! Noes! C'mon Scott! This is the internet!! Everything is accessible nowadays, through various means. 60 Seconds is no exception.
  • C'mon Scott! This is the internet!! Everything is accessible nowadays, through various means. 60 Seconds is no exception.
    Yeah, but before you get something you have to actively think to look for it.
  • You know what I find surprising? Even though Scrym doesn't have a TV (one with cable anyway), I thought they would have liked this show as it has reliable sources and is easily watched on the website (like every other show).
    I didn't know you could watch it online! Noes!
    C'mon Scott! This is the internet!! Everything is accessible nowadays, through various means. 60 Seconds is no exception.
    I think he was being sarcastic. At least, that's what I first thought. Sometimes it's hard to tell with Scott.
  • Yeah, but before you get something you have to actively think to look for it.
    Which is the biggest paradigm shift in information gathering and entertainment in the history of modern human society. Push media doesn't do anyone any favors.
  • Andy Rooney is awesomely insane, and that vid was a bit scary and sad.
  • I like Andy Rooney.Relevant.
    I also like Andy Rooney, and I liked this video. Rym and Emily didn't think the video was funny, but I think that's because they aren't as familiar with Andy Rooney as I am. Maybe they don't like good journalism, which is the only reason to NOT like Andy Rooney.
  • edited January 2009
    No, people that don't like Andy Rooney don't understand that his segment is not intended to be a journalistic segment. It's an opinion piece. I usually enjoy it a lot, whether I agree with him or not. And, besides, he ain't dumb. He's a funny little man with poignant opinions. What's not to like?
    Post edited by Sail on