This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Tea Drinkers

Comments

• Here are the two main teas I'm drinking now. I get all my teas from Teavana because they have a store close to campus and they have some wonderful teas. You can also mix any of their teas together to get some great blends.

This is a Jasmine Green tea blend with a tropical roobios. The green tea is actually in the form of full leaf pearls which expand when brewed.

This is a Yerba maté mixed with a rooibos chai (so techically it's not a tea, but it's still tastes great). The mix actually provides a significant amount of caffeine and it tastes amazing. It's a full body tea with a smooth, malty finish and flavors of spice and chocolate.
    edited January 2009
    rooibos
    Get your own words, English!

Tea drinker here. I hate coffee. It offends my sight, smell and taste. Sadly it doesn't stop there, prattling coffee pots offend my hearing. Such nasty, grubby and sluggish sound these machines produce. No thanks, give me the roaring of an electric kettle, or the strong whistle of a stove kettle, such is much more pleasant to the hearing than the cold prattling of a coffee-maker.

As for what kinds of tea I like, I'm not that picky. While I enjoy certain teas more than others, and prefer tea to be brewed the proper way, I'm perfectly content with a quick cup of any tea.

EDIT: I forgot, excuse me, but I forgot to mention that, while not picky concerning the tea, I am picky concerning the brand. I absolutely detest Lipton's barbarizations of various tea blends. This is opposite with iced teas, I only like one, Westminster Lemon iced tea. Their Mango can be consumed, but that is all. Any other iced tea I have ever tastes is awful. Also, you can't make tea out of powder.
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited January 2009
    I don't drink coffee, I just don't care for the taste. The only time I like the flavor of coffee is in tiramisu.

I do however love a cup (or two) of black tea in the morning. Sometimes I make it from tea leaves I get from a local shop, but most of the time I just use tea bags, lately I've been buying these:

At least with those bags you're getting a decent mix of Orange pekoe and pekoe cut, no fannings or dust that you sometimes get with some tea bags.

I prefer my tea slightly on the sweet side either with sugar or honey, no milk. Also, if you sweeten it then add a splash of lemon and let it chill, it makes pretty darned good glass of iced tea as well.

EDIT: By the way, great posting of that episode of Good Eats, I love that show!
    Post edited by edifolco25 on
  • I love tea! I drink it at least once a day. Any black tea, like Earl Grey, is good for in the mornings. I really like white teas, but they are the most expensive of any teas.

I usually order from Stash Tea, but I just discovered this new place called Harney and Sons that is supposed to have excellent tea. I haven't ordered from them yet, but I will when I need some more tea. I' m really interested in their "sachets", which are bagged teas, but the bags are these large silk pouches. The bags are large so that they allow enough room for proper brewing. So basically they have the quality of loose tea, combined with the convenience of bagged tea. These would great for in the mornings when I'm too lazy to prepare loose tea.
  • Oho! I've been meaning to track down some alternate tea stores, so thanks for the links.

The place I usually order from is Tao of Tea, but Ten Ren is also good.
  • Andrew, those two tea blends look awesome! Especially the second one.
  • I don't drink tea, coffee, or pretty much any hot drink often. It is worth noting, though, that I find coffee unbearably bitter without sugar, and prefer masala chai over most anything else.

My parents, on the other hand, survive off black coffee (brewed in a French press, none of your automatic coffee crap) and Celestial Seasonings brand green tea.
  • Going back to the Picard's drink of choice. Why couldn't he just have a preset for his drink? I would. Computer. Give me the usual. Holo-babe teleports in and gives me a back rub while I drink a cold beer.
  • edited January 2009
    Why couldn't he just have a preset for his drink?

Computer. Give me the usual.
    Is that longer or shorter than
    Tea, Earlgrey, hot
    And does it matter?
    Post edited by Bronzdragon on
  • edited January 2009
    Why couldn't he just have a preset for his drink?

Tea, Earlgrey, hot
    And does it matter?
    It sounds a lot less snotty. So, yeah, it matters.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • For the record, those "herbal" teas that contain no real tea are most often junk.
  • Why couldn't he just have a preset for his drink?

Tea, Earlgrey, hot
    And does it matter?
    It sounds a lot less snotty. So, yeah, it matters.
    The fact that he was high-falootin' was part of his mystique. He could kick your ass, direct a symphony and never spill a drop of his hit tea.
  • edited January 2009
    He could kick your ass, direct a symphony and never spill a drop of his hit tea.
    I don't think so. I would make a vague threat and then he would either surrender the ship or order it to self-destruct. From what I've seen, Picard is pretty easy to defeat.
  • He could kick your ass, direct a symphony and never spill a drop of his hit tea.
    I don't think so. I would make a vague threat and then he would either surrender the ship or order it to self-destruct. From what I've seen, Picard is pretty easy to defeat.
    He wins in the end. It is strategy, not brute force. His mind can kick your ass and his fist will punch you in the face at the end, just for good measure.
  • edited January 2009
    He could kick your ass, direct a symphony and never spill a drop of his hit tea.
    He wins in the end. It is strategy, not brute force. His mind can kick your ass and his fist will punch you in the face at the end, just for good measure.
    That makes me laugh. Thank you for brightening my day by presenting the amusing idea of a starship captain who wins in the end by the strategy of surrendering his ship.
  • Captain Picard is cool. :(
  • edited January 2009
    Captain Picard is cool. :(
    Picard isn't worthy to eat the peanuts out of Kirk's day-old shit.
    At least the actor that portrayed Picard could act.
  • I used to be a regular coffee drinker, but now I drink tea almost exclusively. My standard tea is gunpowder green, bought in bulk from the local Asian grocery store. Darjeeling with sugar and evaporated milk on cold mornings when I need something a little more substantial, or if company has come over and I've whipped out the tea set. Lapsang Souchong when I'm wet. Oolong after a heavy meal. Chamomile to calm down. I used to drink sweet tea when I lived in the South, but it's not quite the same without the malaria-inducing heat and humidity.
    Yeah, Picard was portrayed by an actor. Kirk is real.
    Yeah, Picard was portrayed by an actor. Kirk is real.
    You have such a Kirk crush. I dislike chauvinist men that act without thought and doink everything that moves. I guess that works for you, though, HJ.
  • You have such a Kirk crush. I dislike chauvinist men that act without thought and doink everything that moves. I guess that works for you, though, HJ.
    When did Kirk act without thought? How is Kirk chauvinist?
  • Going back on subject....

I'm going to a teavana, and I need some tea. Unfortunately, there are so many different flavors that I have no idea what to get. I myself prefer green tea, of which there is plentiful in teavana. I've tried the jasmine dragon pearl tea and Pi lo chun tea, two which are pretty awesome. I want to expand my tea taste knowledge by assimilating new tea drinks. However, the rather daunting 18 other unique types of tea that I can get is making my head spin.

Does anyone recommend anything from this list here?
  • edited July 2009
    For hot teas I prefer Earl Grey, Oolong, Green and Pu-erh(if I want to get fancy). I'm not a real big fan of cold teas unless they're sweetened somehow. In those cases I've come to enjoy various wheat teas and some green teas.

Whenever I serve Oolong I bring out the Chinese tea set with the tiny little teacups and do it old-school like my father did. It makes the whole process feel more satisfying and an event unto itself. Or maybe I just want to be a little girl in my heart of hearts.
    Post edited by BrutishSaucer on
  • Personally I love tea, but coffee has it's place.

For hot teas I really like green, and oolong. Cold teas are not the usual fair in my house but when there are served it's typically southern sweet or a branded tea like Brisk or Lipton. I think I might try to make a cold tea out of my typical hot morning oolong. Lucky for me I have a small family owned coffee shop nearby with a large selection of teas that they sell by the pound.

As for coffee, I typically only have that at my friends house in the morning or when I get one of those cold Starbucks bottled crap for lack of a better option.
  • Does anyone recommend anythingfrom this list here?
    I don't know which one to recommend (there are so freaking many...), but every kind I've gotten so far is really good. The way I decide which one to get next is by reading the user comments on the website for each tea. I look for the teas with the highest ratings and intelligible comments describing how good the particular tea is. Plus, if you go in the store you can smell it first (I know it doesn't always taste the way it smells, but it helps). I'm not sure about sampling though because I've never asked for any.
  • I have a local tea shop I go to when I run out. There are four teas I go between. 3 Black: Blood Orange, Chocolate Mint, and Raspberry Truffle; 1 Green: Japanese Cherry.
    I've got a Stabucks french press a friend gave me a few years ago that I use to make a cup at a time. I tend to take all my tea straight, but I sometimes put in some honey if I want some sweetness.
  • @ColdfireSerge, those sound delicious!
  • They are, and I am really glad that the shop gives a 10% discount when bringing a tin back to get refilled. I've gone through at least 4 of the blood orange and 2 each of the mint and cherry.
  • Been trying some Clipper teas, their green teas and white teas are alright but I'm now looking for strong fruit teas that don't taste like ass and chemical. Any suggestions?