This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Tea Drinkers

Comments

• It must be that shitty Southern Hemisphere electricity, I hear it goes the opposite direction.
  • It must be that shitty Southern Hemisphere electricity, I hear it goes the opposite direction.
    So it goes in the direction that makes sense?
  • Wait, so your electricity is wrong, Nine?
  • edited July 2012
    It's like 9 times faster if you fill it with a little more water than you are expecting to use. I usually boil about 3 inches of water every time I use it and it takes like two minutes.
    I am. I make two cups of tea at a time, a 1 liter thermos, and a 20 ounce starbucks cup. It's roughly 1.7 L in the kettle before it stops measurements, but I'll often fill it a bit above the line, so I'm guessing 2 litres.

And before you ask, it's because the thermos takes about an hour to cool to drinkability, so I make a cup of tea to have while I wait for my tea to cool down to the point of being drinkable.
    It must be that shitty Southern Hemisphere electricity, I hear it goes the opposite direction.
    Well, yeah. You're telling me that everyone else's appliances don't generate electricity and send it back to Power stations?

Post edited by Churba on
  • Wait, so your electricity is wrong, Nine?
    No, it's all the fault of that freaking Franklin who labelled positive and negative charge so that at a later point we learned that it's FUCKING WRONG. Blame the US as usual.
  • It's the water on tap that I love. I get to fill it at the end of the day and have tea all day long when I'm at home.

At work I have an electric kettle. It's okay. I still get up to fill it 4 or five times it. I'd rather have another one like I have at home but management doesn't like the idea so much.

I don't pretend to know their reasons as to why an electric kettle is okay but one that sits on my desk keeping my water warm all day long isn't. Such is my lot.
  • I don't pretend to know their reasons as to why an electric kettle is okay but one that sits on my desk keeping my water warm all day long isn't. Such is my lot.
    Is the power draw high? One of the issues this office has had is people bringing personal space heaters in and blowing circuits.
  • I know Teavana are overpriced but they do carrie the most awesome tea pots
    http://www.teavana.com/tea-products/teapots-teapot-sets/bone-china-teapots/p/ruby-filigree-bone-china-tea-set
    http://www.teavana.com/tea-products/teapots-teapot-sets/cast-iron-teapots/p/prosperity-koi-cast-iron-teapot
    Fuck me. That shit looks good enough to masturbate to.
    Just not into. You'd ruin the flavor of the tea.

• edited July 2012
    Just not into. You'd ruin the flavor of the tea.
    Well of course, gotta be sipping my tea with my other hand. So good I'm right-handed, but a left-handed wanker.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • I gotta get my hands on some more of that genmaicha. That stuff is the shit.
  • preparing for another day with iced green tea (7:1 young hyson:coconut pouchong) with a gently crushed mint leaf.
  • edited July 2012
    I'm a big fan of ceylon tea. I really like the subtle fruitiness.
    Chie, have we taken you to Rose House? I love the tea there.
    Post edited by Ametto on
  • I'm normally not tea drinker, never got into that stuff, but because this thread popped up again I decided to buy a box of tea bags today to try out. Can't say that I'm huge fan of the stuff now, but I feel that tea is that kind of drink where it takes a while to find the taste and get used to it.

Actually I could go and put some water to boil and drink a cup while I watch children's cartoons.
  • The only thing I know about tea is that I like mint tea and I like Assam black. I can't defend either selection and I can't be specific about sourcing, quality, first/second blush, whatever. :-)
  • edited July 2012
    I'm normally not tea drinker, never got into that stuff, but because this thread popped up again I decided to buy a box of tea bags today to try out. Can't say that I'm huge fan of the stuff now, but I feel that tea is that kind of drink where it takes a while to find the taste and get used to it.

Actually I could go and put some water to boil and drink a cup while I watch children's cartoons.
    If you want to enjoy tea, dont use tea bags!! They tend to have the lowest quality leaves in them + high surface area means you'll get more bitter flavors. If you seriously want to try tea, order a couple sample packs from uptontea. They run around $1 each, for several cups worth. Shipping is $4. Also narien teas has free shipping and $4 samples.
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • If you want to enjoy tea, dont use tea bags!! They tend to have the lowest quality leaves in them + high surface area means you'll get more bitter flavors. If you seriously want to try tea, order a couple sample packs from uptontea. They run around $1 each, for several cups worth. Shipping is $4. Also narien teas has free shipping and $4 samples.
    Non-American here, won't be getting anything from uptontea. Also I have this principle on other things too, but if the cheap easy way doesn't do it for me I don't bother. Kinda like when I say I don't like beer. I'm sure there is some special brand and taste or even two of beers I'd really like, but when I talk about liking beer I talk about the stuff that I get when I go to bar and order a beer, which is some run of the mill stuff.

Sure quality tea is probably quality experience, but I just want something simple to drink when I feel like it.
  • What kind of tea did you drink? Because like 98% of the teas out there I don't like. I really only like Green tea and sort of Oolong.
  • edited July 2012
    What kind of tea did you drink? Because like 98% of the teas out there I don't like. I really only like Green tea and sort of Oolong.
    There are many many kinds of tea within the Black-Oolong-Green families, all with distinct flavors.
    Also I have this principle on other things too, but if the cheap easy way doesn't do it for me I don't bother.
    We are very different on this. If I am going to spend money on something extraneous, I am going to get the best I can reasonably afford on an occasional basis. Also, sometimes I find I can get loose teas for less than their bagged counterparts.
    The only thing I know about tea is that I like mint tea and I like Assam black. I can't defend either selection and I can't be specific about sourcing, quality, first/second blush, whatever. :-)
    Perhaps next con I can bring you (and whomever else is interested) some decent samples. I have a decent quality Assam I just don't drink bc it isn't my favorite.
  • That is news to me, if it says green tea it's usually legit with me.
  • The Adagio Tea green teas page has a decent description of *some* types of green tea.
  • You ignored my question Chie. ; _ ;
  • edited July 2012
    You ignored my question Chie. ; _ ;
    Ops! We have gone to the Rose House, but I don't believe we had the pleasure of your company.

If you like it, you should Definitely try the Rose Congou. I can give you a sample when next we meet. I've made milk tea, and tea infused scones and waffles and pancakes with it. Is are delicious.
  • Here is my pearltree of useful links regarding tea.
  • edited July 2012
    I drink a Yunnan Mandarin black usually. My tea shop also sells "TeaSource Spice," which contains a black tea, cloves, cinnamon, orange and a bunch of other interesting flavors.
    No sugar needed in either.

For cold, I like Rooibos, but that's not tea.

I do not like green teas because I always notice this somewhat fishy/seaweed flavor that I assume comes from the sugars. Does anyone else notice this? What is it?
    Post edited by lalanl on

• I do not like green teas because I always notice this somewhat fishy/seaweed flavor that I assume comes from the sugars. Does anyone else notice this? What is it?
    It's odd -- I've heard this response from a lot of people who did not grow up drinking green tea. I have never experienced this; for me, properly-prepared quality green tea has a flavor either resembling broccoli water (but better) or flower water. I suppose if it did have a fishy-seaweed flavor, I probably wouldn't mind anyway.
  • I have never noticed a fishy/seaweed flavor to green tea, and I didn't grow up drinking it.

Although, my sense of smell is very poor these days (Sinex abuse) and also, I really enjoy sushi and probably wouldn't notice or care if it did have those flavors.
  • Caffeine Crystal