This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PS2 Games for Younglings

edited January 2009 in Everything Else
So I have a PS2, a 3 year old brother, and no age appropriate games for him. Sure, I fly the helicopter around in GTA:VC, and he loves that, but people swear in that game and my parents don't take to kindly to that. What games would you guys recommend? I have a $40 Barnes and Noble gift card.

I was thinking a colorful game like Katamari Damacy?

Comments

• So I have a PS2, a 3 year old brother, and no age appropriate games for him. Sure, I fly the helicopter around in GTA:VC, and he loves that, but people swear in that game and my parents don't take to kindly to that. What games would you guys recommend? I have a $40 Barnes and Noble gift card.

I was thinking a colorful game like Katamari Damacy?
    Rachet and clank is good. It's kinna like a third person shooter, but really simple. Also, try spyro.
  • I have a $40 Barnes and Noble gift card.
    Do they sell games now or what? I don't exactly see how this is related...

Also, you can get around swearing by just muting the TV (my cousins used to do that when we played some FPS he had, then again it was still bloody and gory and we knew all the swear words they said anyways)

Also, I would definitely recommend Katamari. Some of the missions might be a bit tough (there's at least 2 that I recall failing a few times and cussing out the TV over), but it's definitely kid friendly. SSX Tricky or SSX3 would probably be fun for kids, too.
  • There's gotta be a Sesame Street game on there somewhere.
    As well as the assorted Disney franchise games
    I also need it to NOT drive me insane playing it. The situation normally is that I play the game while he holds a unplugged controller in his hand and "plays" it.
  • Crash Bandicoot?
  • Thirding Spyro, those games were pretty fun for an adult even.
    I also need it to NOT drive me insane playing it. The situation normally is that I play the game while he holds a unplugged controller in his hand and "plays" it.
    Wouldn't that be kinda counterproductive, its a chance to start developing those motor skills, you'd be surprised of just how much a 3 year old can do.
  • The situation normally is that I play the game while he holds a unplugged controller in his hand and "plays" it.
    In that case, just pick a good game with a low ESRB rating.
  • edited January 2009
    The situation normally is that I play the game while he holds a unplugged controller in his hand and "plays" it.
    In that case, just pick a good game with a low ESRB rating.
    Good idea. If you go to the ESRB site, you can search for PS2 games with a rating of E for everyone. The newest games are listed at the top. Just keep going down the list until you find a good one.

See, game ratings can come in handy.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited January 2009
    I would also recommend Spyro and Crash Bandicoot. I don't know how the newer games are, but I was way into the PS1 games when I was little.

Oh yeah, and all of the recent LEGO games would be perfect, LEGO Star Wars being the best of them.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • edited January 2009
    You could probably get a SNES really cheap (costs less than some games) and get some Mario World action going on.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • You could probably get a SNES really cheap (costs less than some games) and get some Mario World action going on.
    Thank you, but no. I have a Genesis and a Dreamcast; This is a Sonic The Hedgehog household.
  • Katamari Damaci

Magic Pengel
    Ah yes, the old fake out. I do this with my nephews and younger cousins all the time.
    You could probably get a SNES really cheap (costs less than some games) and get some Mario World action going on.
    Thank you, but no. I have a Genesis and a Dreamcast; This is a Sonic The Hedgehog household.
    Amen to that ; )
    I'd suggest Sonic Heroes, but as fun as it may be for him to "play," the glitches and shoddiness of that game might not be so fun for you. But, you probably already know this ^_^

I also agree with the Spyro and Crash Bandicoot suggestions. Also might I recommend any of the Burnout games. Kids tend to love cars, and there's nothing ever too graphic or violent in there (just extremely exaggerated over the top car crashes.) Maybe the MegaMan collection will be a good choice also. Classic gaming, cool characters, cheap cost.
  • I'd suggest Sonic Heroes
    Suggestion fail. Firstly, SA2 is the only good 3d Sonic game and secondly, not totally 3-year-old friendly.
  • I second the ideas of Crash and Spyro though I personally never liked the latter. Rayman is also a fun game (I got a PS1 game way back when and just put it in the PS2) and he series is really colorful and cheezy at times, which seems to be something kids like.
  • I'd suggest Sonic Heroes
    Suggestion fail. Firstly, SA2 is the only good 3d Sonic game and secondly,not totally 3-year-old friendly.
    What are you talking about? He loves Chao World and playing Sonic levels.
  • not totally 3-year-old friendly.
    Lol dude...better not take your kid to the beach, then...or in public in general. People show much more than that on a daily basis. Does this kid need to be sheltered or just be playing an E rated game?
    I'm so sorry for your kids. Really, saying no to a console with some of the best video games in history on it just because you are a "Sonic household"...gimme a break.
  • edited January 2009
    not totally 3-year-old friendly.
    Lol dude...better not take your kid to the beach, then...or in public in general. People show much more than that on a daily basis. Does this kid need to be sheltered or just be playing an E rated game?
    My parents raised me way over-protected. Maybe my judgment is impaired.
    What are you talking about? He loves Chao World and playing Sonic levels.
    No Chao World in SH. I'm saying that the Sonic Adventures are better. I guess the quality of the game really doesn't matter for a three-year-old. Whatever. Just ignore me for today.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Quake II and Doom, Teach them early.
  • edited January 2009
    Burnout
    Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec

I would go for racing games. As a kid I really liked driving around the cars and smashing them up even when I couldn't quite get how to drive them at first and what kid doesn't like toy cars/trucks.
    Post edited by Alan on
  • Burnout
    Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec

I would go for racing games. As a kid I really liked driving around the cars and smashing them up even when I couldn't quite get how to drive them at first and what kid doesn't like toy cars/trucks.
    I'm gonna get GT4 for myself anyway.
    not totally 3-year-old friendly.

I'm so sorry for your kids. Really, saying no to a console with some of the best video games in history on it just because you are a "Sonic household"...gimme a break.He's not my kid, he's may parent's kid (A.K.A. My brother). And I'm not saying No to NES games, I just have a predisposition towards Sega systems since that's what I grew up on. My brother and I play Mario Kart 64 on my computer all the time, but its a pain since I have to hook up my ps2 controller to it.
  • edited January 2009
    Aside from the things already mentioned, I enjoyed the Jak and Daxter games. Though, after the first game, the series gets much darker and inexplicably turns into a kiddy version of Grand Theft Auto. So if you are indeed over-protective, you might want to steer clear of the games after the first one.
    Post edited by Exarion on
  • edited January 2009
    Awesome PS2 games:
    Kingdom Hearts
    Ape Escape 2
    Sly Cooper And The Thievius Raccoonus (and the sequels)

I would also second the votes for Ratchet & Clank series, Jak & Daxter (the first game) and Katamari Damacy.

Awesome PS1 games:
    Ape Escape
    Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus
    Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee

If you like RPGs, then check out Suikoden and/or Suikoden 2.

Also, The Adventures of Cookie & Cream is an excellent co-op game for an older/younger kid or parent/child combo. I'm not sure how well a three-year-old would handle the directions, but I think my son and I beat the game when he was four or five years old.

This makes me want to plug in my ps2 again!
    Post edited by ForcefulCheese on
  • Okay, so I just ordered four games:
    GT-3: a-spec for me
    Katamari Damacy and Jungle Book for him
    Activision Classics for my dad and I and eventually my little brother.
  • edited January 2009
    I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Klonoa. Both Door to Phantomille (PS1) and Lutia's Veil (PS2) are very solid puzzle platformers and very child friendly.
    Post edited by Omnutia on