This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

New laptop woes

edited January 2009 in Technology
So I have a new laptop. It's spec-ed like a desktop gaming rig and I wanted to re-try a game my old laptop couldn't handle. But there's a problem. I'm running Vista x64, and peer guardian won't work because vista requires digitally signed drivers. Don't link to the PG site, their workaround isn't working.
Do any of you know of another p2p blacklist program or a windows bit torrent client has one built in like transmission? I keep looking but only peer guardian shows up.

Comments

• Just use regular bittorrent. Why do people always use weird extra stuff?
  • edited January 2009
    I didn't know bit torrent had a p2p blacklist feature...does it really?
    EDIT: No. No it doesn't. It's just utorrent with a thin veneer.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I didn't know bit torrent had a p2p blacklist feature
    Why do you want one? We'll be able to help better if you explain.
  • edited January 2009
    Any torrent client that has supports plugins will get a blocklist eventually. I'm one of those hippie Linux people, but Azureus'll do it. Unless you're looking for ISOs of the original Quake, I doubt you have the RIAA to fear.
    Post edited by pliny on
  • Well, I've been picked out by the RIAA before. I just want to be a little more cautious. Thanks for the link!
  • EDIT: No. No it doesn't. It's just utorrent with a thin veneer.
    Yes, the official bittorrent client is just an older stable version of µtorrent, ever looked into µtorrent? If you had you would've dumped that bullshit peerguardian ages ago. µTorrent has had the functionality you seek for ages. So it's probably also in the latest official bittorrent client. What you seek is ipfilter.dat, just a 10 megabyte text file. 10 megabytes worth of ip addresses and ip ranges to be blocked. Hell, various proper p2p software has built in support for ipfilter.dat. No need to use something that's basically the same only clothed in multiple layers of bloat.
  • I use utorrent on Vista x64 with no issues at all.
  • The issue isn't utorrent, it's peerguardian.
  • uTorrent has very good encryption and other ways to make sure you don't show up on any lists if the RIAA or your ISP looks at a tracker and tries to get your IP address from it, at least that's what I've read...
  • The issue isn't utorrent, it's peerguardian.
    Hence I say, stop using it entirely and just download the 10 megabytes of text.
    uTorrent has very good encryption and other ways to make sure you don't show up on any lists if the RIAA or your ISP looks at a tracker and tries to get your IP address from it, at least that's what I've read...
    It has protocol header encryption, that's pretty much all I heard. You will still show up in any ip lists given out by the tracker you are connected to. If everyone used encryption so that they won't show up in a tracker's list, how would the protocol work? The only way to counter that is using the Pirate Bay who insert some random unconnected ips in those lists and use ipfilter.dat. If the RIAA still uses the dumb method of "ask list, send c&d; to all IPs", you will have plausible deniability. If they try to connect to you with any known IP among the 10 megabytes of IP addresses and IP ranges found in ipfilter.dat, they'll fail and you will appear to them as if you are one of those randomly inserted unconnected peers.

I have never gotten a single C&D.; My little brother did get one the second, or third day since he first used a torrent client. I then informed him about the ipfilter.dat file and we have never gotten a single C&D; since. That whilst times have gotten wilder.