This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Geeky Changes You'd Like to See in '09

I'm a fan of impossible promises, so right as this occasion in American politics crests and returns to the bland news of the economy and the occupation of Jennifer Aniston's uterus, I'd like to hear what changes they'd like from the president elect.

1) A theme park based on Dead Rising. Guests are allowed the opportunity to slaughter zombies at their disgression.

2) Werewolves. It's been a while since I've seen them; I think they're time has come.

3) Des Moines Iowa sinking into the sea - because no one would see it coming.

Comments

• I would love to have DHS renamed S.H.I.E.L.D.
  • Every conspiracy theory ever is proved to be correct.
  • I just want Obama to go through with his plan to get broadband to everyone in the country.
  • Andy Kaufman And Jim Morrison Come out of a long period of hiding on the same day.
  • Three words.
    Giant.
    Fucking.
    Robots.
  • Three words.
    Giant.
    Fucking.
    Robots.
    Three words:
    Metal.
    Wolf.
    Chaos.
  • Three words.
    Giant.
    Fucking.
    Robots.
    Wait, you mean you don't have one? Jeez, you're missing out,
  • Are we using "fucking" as an expletive here, or an adjective?
  • edited January 2009
    Are we using "fucking" as an expletive here, or an adjective?
    Adjective.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited January 2009
    Are we using "fucking" as an expletive here, or an adjective?
    Adjective.
    2. Werewolves
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • edited January 2009
    The expansion of piracy on the high seas.

The return of hats and suits as necessary items everyone feels obliged to wear at all times.

Cure for cancer and emphysema so that everyone can start smoking again.

Big Band Techno + Swing Dancing.

Kids stop wearing stupid baggy pants in favor of Geek Chic fashion. Lab Coats and goggles replace the baggy pants.

Teachers become more popular than ballplayers.

Return of fairness doctrine. Limbaugh, Hannity, and O'Reilly go off the air.

Replicants.

The sky turns the color of static, and stays that way.

Reintroduction of steam power as a viable alternative energy source .

Flying cars. Double points if steam powered.

Ray guns. Double points if designed to contain zombie outbreak.

Life on Mars.

Industrialization of space.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • American maid/butler cafes. :D
  • edited January 2009
    Holiday resort on the surface of the sun.

Some kind of instant bishonen device.

@HJ: How exactly does steam power things? As in, without having something give it energy to begin with.
  • edited January 2009
    @HJ: How exactly does steam power things? As in, without having something give it energy to begin with.
    I was thinking of writing something in there about that. Considering the whimsical nature of the thread, I don't think we have to be too technically correct in our wishes. You'll notice that I wished for a zombie ray gun as well. Yes, steam requires some type of energy that, in the past, was pretty dirty. I suppose I could amend my wish to say that I want clean steam power, or maybe I could say that I want a clean energy source that would power a new steam engine that was redesigned to be several times more efficient than old steam, engines, again keeping in mind that we're talking about fantasy here.
  • I would die in a world that required hats, there is not a hat in the world that looks good on me.
  • I would die in a world that required hats, there is not a hat in the world that looks good on me.
    Everyone looks good in hats. You just haven't found the right hat.
  • edited January 2009
    @HJ: We could drill massive holes into the earth's crust and let the sea flow into them then just cap them for clean steam energy.

Also of interest: Worlds fastest steam powered car. 215mph.
  • edited January 2009
    @HJ: We could drill massive holes into the earth's crust and let the sea flow into them then just cap them for clean steam energy.
    We'd have to be careful not to upset the delicate ecological balance of Pellucidar or, worse yet, anger the crab people.
  • edited January 2009
    1. A trend away from "Your Mom" jokes and toward "Your Dad" jokes.
    2. A chubby lady in a lead role that doesn't make her weight a focal point of the story.
    3. Teleporters. (Eventhough I work for car makers, I would gladly lose my job if it meant I never had to drive, fly or train unless it was for pleasure.)
    4. A pill that suddenly made women sane and men emotionally competent.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • The return of hats and suits as necessary items everyone feels obliged to wear at all times.
    This has been my dream for years. Seriously, get the proper hats back.
  • The return of hats and suits as necessary items everyone feels obliged to wear at all times.
    For ladies, too?
    For ladies, too?
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
  • 1. A trend away from "Your Mom" jokes and toward "Your Dad" jokes.
    2. A chubby lady in a lead role that doesn't make her weight a focal point of the story.
    3. Teleporters. (Eventhough I work for car makers, I would gladly lose my job if it meant I never had to drive, fly or train unless it was for pleasure.)
    Except for number 1, I pretty much agree with all of these...

Also, we need more awesome things like Jimi's and Timbuk2. More things like that would definitely be the awesome.
  • You just haven't found the right hat.
    I haven't either. There's really never been a hat that I've looked good in. Sure, I'll wear hats when I'm skiing or snowboarding, but that's out of necessity, not fashion.
  • I never want to be limited to dressing in one style all of the time.
  • Maybe I'll buy a Fedora soon.
  • What is all this "I don't look good in hats" business? That is like saying "I don't look good in pants". Most likely you are trying hats that aren't the right size and you aren't used to how you look in hats.
    I would enjoy this. Though I'd have to find a hat that suits me. The only head wear I have at the moment are caps and they never suited me, let alone are worthy hats.
    1. A trend away from "Your Mom" jokes and toward "Your Dad" jokes.
    Your Dad is so fat that I mistook him for your Mom! ? What about a trend of just not bringing either back?
    . . .
    I'M NOT A GIRL!
  • 1. More money spent on educating the masses about the oncoming zombie apocalypse.
    2. More money spent on educating the masses about the various kinds of intersections.
    3. Korean Starcraft broadcast on TV and the intertubes with English subtitles.
    4. Firefly is revived.
    5. A live action Star Wars show that is as good as the new Battlestar Galactica.
    6. The KotoR MMO will not suck.
    7. Pokemon fixes it's problems.
  • edited January 2009
    The return of hats and suits as necessary items everyone feels obliged to wear at all times.
    I'm doing my part. I don't go out in public without one of my fedoras on my head (not the cloth shit. real men wear FELT). That is, unless it's too cold (rochester), in which I will wear a russian bunny hat. If I'm dressing down, maybe I'll wear an Italian or Irish cap. When out on the ranch, I wear an Indiana Jones-esque wide-brimmed fedora.

EDIT: And yes, I wear suits. Ebay/Vintage Store + Tailor = well made, good fit, cheap.
    Big Band Techno + Swing Dancing.
    Kids stop wearing stupid baggy pants in favor of Geek Chic fashion. Lab Coats and goggles replace the baggy pants.
    Yes, and yes. I agree with Joe wholeheartedly. I would also like to add; fusion powered steam.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on