This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Obama is President! Rainbows and Kittens for All!

Comments

• Sorrow, I wish I could have made it, instead I had to deal with a really annoying day at work :-p
    You and me both. Hoping I can find somewhere to watch at least the speech on the internet. I'm sure it will be on the YouTubes if nothing else, just like Bush's final press conference.
  • You and me both. Hoping I can find somewhere to watch at least the speech on the internet. I'm sure it will be on the YouTubes if nothing else, just like Bush's final press conference.
    It's on the CNNs.

Also, I was thinking. Obviously everybody hates the Bush and has the high expectations of Obama. However, because Bush is so hated, it may be possible for Obama to meet high expectations when actually doing very little. If he does even an average job, it might be perceived as an amazing job when compared to Bush.

On the other hand, it is also possible that because of the high expectations for Obama there will be huge disappointment if he doesn't do an absolutely amazing job, and fix everything.

Oh perception and reality, always at odds.
  • My daughter had to watch the inauguration at school. No way to opt out.

Is that a first? I know of no other inauguration where the kids were taken out of class to watch.
  • Is that a first? I know of no other inauguration where the kids were taken out of class to watch.
    How long have schools had the capability to do something like that live? Tv receivers + projectors.
  • I try very hard to limit blog linkage here, but I'll make an exception for Obama Day.
  • edited January 2009
    My daughter had to watch the inauguration at school. No way to opt out.

Is that a first? I know of no other inauguration where the kids were taken out of class to watch.
    Is there a reason she should have been allowed to opt out? This is a current event of supreme importance. Or do you expect your kids to be able to opt out of learning about JFK and the Cuban missile crisis, too?
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Is that a first? I know of no other inauguration where the kids were taken out of class to watch.
    We were taken out of class to watch the OJ verdict...
  • We were taken out of class to watch the OJ verdict...
    In elementary school I was taken out of class to watch the space shuttle.

Weirdest thing was that in high school they had a TV in every classroom. They never ever used the CCTV, they only ever used the individual VCRs. We could have watched important events live, but never did.
  • We were taken out of class to watch the OJ verdict...
    Same, plus A Whole number of other events I can't remember much. I believe I saw the Challenger Explode in class as well. Steve, We had republican candidates come to our school and give speeches around election day.
  • While I did think Obama's speech was moving, why the fuck did he pick Rick Warren!? He seems to be against everything Obama believes in.
  • edited January 2009
    We were taken out of class to watch the OJ verdict...
    In elementary school I was taken out of class to watch the space shuttle.

Weirdest thing was that in high school they had a TV in every classroom. They never ever used the CCTV, they only ever used the individual VCRs. We could have watched important events live, but never did.
    We watched the OJ verdict in the classroom via the CCTV. I was too busy drawing in class to really care about what was going on, but the place went nuts when the verdict was handed out. The teacher had a hard time restoring order since there was a very clear division between who liked the verdict and who didn't.
    Post edited by Ratix on
  • edited January 2009
    It's on the CNNs.
    Also, I was thinking. Obviously everybody hates the Bush and has the high expectations of Obama. However, because Bush is so hated, it may be possible for Obama to meet high expectations when actually doing very little. If he does even an average job, it might be perceived as an amazing job when compared to Bush.

On the other hand, it is also possible that because of the high expectations for Obama there will be huge disappointment if he doesn't do an absolutely amazing job, and fix everything.

Oh perception and reality, always at odds.

We were discussing this at work if Obama doesn't do something these first two years it could most likely be blamed on Bush's legacy and he wouldn't be blamed for the lack of progress in his first years as president. Now come election time would he use that as a tool for re-election due to the Rep Party that may put forth a candidate stating that they would change what Obama couldn't in his first two years.

I really hope he follows through as Rym says, but looking at the last few Presidents and the current situation I wonder if he would chance something big. If he fails at that task would he blame Bush? It's going to be a very interesting next few years.
    Post edited by Alan on
  • edited January 2009
    Also, did anyone else almost jump for joy when, while talking about the various religions that make up the USA, he mentioned non-believers?
    I was pretty happy.

Being in the city today was great. Lots of people came out and we all cheered. It was so much energy and I was glad to be a Washingtonian.

The speech was really incredible throughout. I just hope that it all comes to fruition.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • That's a very famous motif from a well known work. It was telling that Williams chose it. ^_~
    Well I figured out where he got it from. I just didn't know the name, even though it was obvious. ^^;;
    It was an arangement ofAppalachian Springby Aaron Copland.
    Umm...actually it's an old Shaker melody called Simple Gifts. It's one of the most important American tunes ever written. It's like one of the first songs you learn in elementary music class.
  • I'm quite surprised as to my mom's reaction today. Yesterday she was saying how she was going to avoid watching the inauguration at all costs and that she's worried for the direction America is going and Obama doesn't know what he's getting himself into and etc, but today, after watching the inauguration anyway, she seemed very humbled. She still thinks that Obama doesn't understand his responsibility and whatnot, but she talked about how good the ceremony made her feel about being an American and how historic the whole thing is. It was very interesting.
  • That's a very famous motif from a well known work. It was telling that Williams chose it. ^_~
    Well I figured out where he got it from. I just didn't know the name, even though it was obvious. ^^;;
    It was an arangement ofAppalachian Springby Aaron Copland.
    Umm...actually it's an old Shaker melody calledSimple Gifts. It's one of the most important American tunes ever written. It's like one of the first songs you learn in elementary music class.
    Aaron Copland was very famous for taking themes from old folk songs; Appalachian Springs was also based on Simple Gifts. The Williams piece appears to have borrowed liberally from Copland's work.
  • Weirdest thing was that in high school they had a TV in every classroom. They never ever used the CCTV, they only ever used the individual VCRs. We could have watched important events live, but never did.
    We had a similar setup in my High School, except that it was only ever used during the World Cup, when one of the cool teachers had a TV hooked into it so that the games were running on it in the back of his room all day.
  • It was so much energy and I was glad to be a Washingtonian.
    That seriously messes with my head. I know D.C. peoples can refer to themselves to that, but it just doesn't sound right to me. :P
  • I think it could be argued that Obama got some of his moral fiber from the Spider-Man comics he read as a youngster. I know a lot of what I do is framed by the comics I read as a kid.
  • I think it could be argued that Obama got some of his moral fiber from the Spider-Man comics he read as a youngster. I know a lot of what I do is framed by the comics I read as a kid.
    I sure hope not. I don't know if I can handle four years of cornball alliteration and excelsiors.
    I sure hope not. I don't know if I can handle four years of cornball alliteration and excelsiors.
    If Obama ever said, "Face front, true believers! Excelsior!", I would probably have an orgasm.
  • Day 1: Obama closes Gitmo for 120 days.

I like where this is going.
  • Where does it say that he closed Gitmo for 120 days?

I see that he suspended trials there, but that's much different.
  • Where does it say that he closed Gitmo for 120 days?

I see that he suspended trials there, but that's much different.
    Bah. 7 AM shouldn't exist.

You're right. A good step still, but not as epic as I thought it was.
  • edited January 2009
    Post edited by Omnutia on
    My roommates will hate the day I get my hands on this. I already talked about what I would do with it. Obama vs. Dragon Quest figures vs. Haruhi figure.
    Where did you get this? Are they for sale? I want one.
  • Thanks Scott, I got to watch the speech on CNN without having to see any of the other fluff.
  • This picture is far superior: