This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090121 - They Were Eleven

edited January 2009 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we review the 1986 classic, They Were Eleven. In the news, Spider-Man 2099 is finally traded, and the Hetalia anime won't be on television.

Scott's Thing - Obama Toy
Rym's Thing - Ghostbusters live action TV opener
Rym's Thing - Ghostbusters animated TV opener

Comments

• edited January 2009
    AWO had a review of this, in their 5th episode.
    There was a manga release titled Four Shoujo Stories, released by Viz, which they did without permission from the original rights holders, so it was subsequently pulled from the shelves.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • A possible name for your 9 people rpg could be "Nine Lives".

First thing that came to mind.
  • Damn it, I was about to show one of my friends Scott's TotD, but the link's 404'd.
  • This anime sounds really neat but I have no VHS or Laserdisc player and the torrent I found is shit.
  • I actually really liked FLAG, sorry to hear it didn't catch you guys, but I really think it takes a few episodes to get into.
  • This anime sounds really neat but I have no VHS or Laserdisc player and the torrent I found is shit.
    It's available on DVD.
    It's available on DVD.
    It is out of print and not available. There is the one copy on Amazon, and they want over $100 for it.
  • It is out of print and not available.There is the one copy on Amazon, and they want over $100 for it.
    Whoah, I should get in on that action.
  • I used Froogle, and I found this. It's not the most trustworthy looking website in the world, but they've got it.
  • edited January 2009
    It is out of print and not available.There is the one copy on Amazon, and they want over $100 for it.
    I got it off of amazon after AWO's review and it was not that expensive. wow.
    *Edit* I checked my order history. I paid $5.71.
    Post edited by Mankoon on
  • I used Froogle, and I foundthis. It's not the most trustworthy looking website in the world, but they've got it.
    You've never heard of Tower Records? Is that just a west coast thing?
  • I used Froogle, and I foundthis. It's not the most trustworthy looking website in the world, but they've got it.
    You've never heard of Tower Records? Is that just a west coast thing?
    I thought they went out of business. I think this might be someone who just took the name.
  • I thought they went out of business. I think this might be someone who just took the name.
    They did, but I thought they just switched to online only.
  • I thought they went out of business. I think this might be someone who just took the name.
    They did, but I thought they just switched to online only.
    Wikipedia says that some company bought them, and is trying to slowly revive them. At least we know the site is trustworthy. Buy I say!
    Thank you Scott! I will continue seeding the torrent since it is out of print and worth consuming.
  • This is actually the first anime I have ever bought and I've been watching anime for at least 5 years. Weird.
  • I watched They Were 11 last night and must say I wasn't impressed. The way you guys hyped it up really didn't do it justice. Especially the end was a big let down for me.
    The anime isn't bad, but there are a lot better.
  • Perhaps they slightly overhyped it, but I thought the ending was great.
  • There were some good scenes, and overall it was a pretty enjoyable movie. What I didn't expect was how silly and awkward it was, and that I'd guess how the movie was going to end half way through. It wasn't all that bad, but it wasn't what I expected, and certainly not a great movie.
    I'm wondering if the Japanese dub would have made it any more enjoyable, though. There were some really awkward moments with the English dialogue, and the voice acting was pretty bad for some characters. (Spoilers)My favorite example of this was when Tada and the hermaphrodite were sitting on the observation deck, and Tada's all like "Hey, you could come to Earth instead, andthenyoucouldmarryme." in a strangely nonchalant tone.(Spoilers)
  • I felt the same about the dub - there were many totally awkward moments.

The reason I didn't enjoy the end was because it didn't surprise me at all. It just felt like the writers couldn't come up with an interesting ending so they just went with (spoiler)the idea of it being part of the test, where as I was expecting something totally awesome I couldn't even think of.(spoiler)
    certainly not a great movie
  • For all the Netflixers out there, Netflix has the DVD. Rent it and DVD Shrink a copy if you can't find a legitimate enough site to buy from.
  • I've no intention of seeing the film, but even right at the start of the review I presumed the ending was the same as the one mentioned in the spoiler posted above. I just thought I'd missed a second or so of the review, so presumed the big twist was something much more interesting.
  • Obama and Kenshiro would team up to fight all the bad guys.
  • We'll have to do a final thoughts show: I feel that this movie needs some serious defending.
  • We'll have to do a final thoughts show: I feel that this movie needs some serious defending.
    But then I'd suggest you get someone on who is of a different opinion.
  • I really like the movie overall, it was slow in some parts, but still overall pretty good. I don't think there has been another movie, at least an animated one, that bitchslapped me so many times for guessing wrong on the outcome. When it was revealed, I was surprised, but at the same time the clues were there.
  • Reminded me of Ender's Game.
  • I dunno, I watched this recently and the ending was pretty freaking obvious.
  • I dunno, I watched this recently and the ending was pretty freaking obvious.
    I'd have to agree... but I still enjoyed it.