This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090121 - They Were Eleven

2»

Comments

• I dunno, I watched this recently and the ending was pretty freaking obvious.
    I'd have to agree... but I still enjoyed it.
    I'm not going to deny that it was enjoyable, but I definitely expected a LOT more from this show than what was given to me. I mean, it wasn't hard to call what their actions were going to be every step of the way, really. The few twists and turns ended up being relatively inconsequential to the overall plot, and the ending...was typical.
  • edited January 2009
    Well, to be honest, even with the "hyped' review I still watched They Were Eleven with pretty low expectations. It's really hot where I live at the moment, and I was in the mood to relax in the lounge without having anything to stress over. So even if the plot wasn't that challenging, it was a good fit for my situation - I just wanted to chill out and watch something entertaining.
    Post edited by mike on
  • I just finished watching it, and while I agree that the ending wasn't the biggest surprise (though for a while I had a feeling there might be a twist similar to the one in Fleep), it was one that I thought of at the beginning and then forgot about later on so I was still a bit surprised. To be honest I felt like the point of the story wasn't really the identity of the eleventh person anyways. It was thoroughly enjoyable regardless and figuring out the twist didn't disappoint me in the slightest.
  • For being eleven of the smartest people in the galaxy, they didn't seem very... smart.
  • For being eleven of the smartest people in the galaxy, they didn't seem very... smart.
    What are you talking about? First of all they were only some of the smartest people who hadn't yet been to college.

Also, they were incredibly smart. They knew how to use and fix all the computers. They were also incredibly cooperative, considering the circumstances. They were completely capable of managing an entire gigantic space craft with a crew of only eleven people. In what way where they not smart?
  • In what way where they not smart?
    Everyone pretty much took King at his word that Tada was the eleventh. They were straight up going to kill Tada because of the accident, without questioning him or anything. They still wanted to kill him despite the fact that Ganga said Tada didn't do anything wrong. Why does everyone trust King? They could have pushed the emergency button instead of blowing off half their ship. How come they could use Ganga for a vaccine host but not Tada? A food fight? King wanted to kill Ganga when he said he was the eleventh person. It goes on.
  • Everyone pretty much took King at his word that Tada was the eleventh. They were straight up going to kill Tada because of the accident, without questioning him or anything. They still wanted to kill him despite the fact that Ganga said Tada didn't do anything wrong. Why does everyone trust King?
    Everything in the show pretty much made Tada the most suspicious person. How did he know so much about the ship? The even where he tried to use his powers to verify everyone didn't help his reputation much either. He was also apparently directly responsible screwing up twice, both when shocking Ganga and also blowing up the cooling system. You would be stupid not to think he was the 11th person. Remember, the characters don't know the extra things that you, the viewer, know. Even if he wasn't an evil traitor, he caused two serious accidents. When its a matter of life and death, you can't risk having a potentially dangerous person like that running loose.
    They could have pushed the emergency button instead of blowing off half their ship.
    Obviously you weren't paying attention. They were under the impression that pushing the emergency button would mean failure of the exam. This is the same exam that is only offered once every few years. Every character on the ship had a very strong motivation to pass the exam. If there was any chance of passing, they were going to go for it.
    How come they could use Ganga for a vaccine host but not Tada?
    They explained that. They very clearly said that they couldn't get the vaccinne from Tada's blood. Tada never had the sickness, he just recieved the vaccine from the mice. Ganga was not human, and also he actually got the disease and his own immune system beat it. Think about it, if they could have gotten the vaccine from Tada, then why was the mouse shortage a problem? The original people on the ship would have only needed one mouse to vaccinate the entire ship. Ganga basically took the role of the mouse, and thus they could get the vaccine from him.
    A food fight?
    The food fight was stupid, but silly. When you're in a tense situation like that, sometimes you just need to do something to chill out.
    King wanted to kill Ganga when he said he was the eleventh person. It goes on.
    I don't remember that. I'm pretty sure that the King thought that Ganga was lying and covering for Tada, and he just gave him an angry look.
  • Obviously you weren't paying attention. They were under the impression that pushing the emergency button would mean failure of the exam. This is the same exam that is only offered once every few years. Every character on the ship had a very strong motivation to pass the exam. If there was any chance of passing, they were going to go for it.
    Except if one of them would die, remember?
    Rednose: I hate to sound negative, but what if the explosion destroys the ship?
    Some guy: If you have a better idea, everyone's open to hear it, Rednose!
    Some other guy: If we only have one chance in a zillion, that's better than none.
    They don't even consider it!
    They explained that. They very clearly said that they couldn't get the vaccinne from Tada's blood.
    I must have missed that, then.
    I don't remember that. I'm pretty sure that the King thought that Ganga was lying and covering for Tada, and he just gave him an angry look.
    He was just covering for Tada, but
    I assume you realize that the crime of espionage is punishable by death. (Points gun at Ganga)
  • Except if one of them would die, remember?
    They only needed to come back with ten people... ^_~
  • They only needed to come back with ten people... ^_~
    I actually thought of that! When the guy tells them to get on the rescue ship, I wanted someone to say, "Hey, we still have 10. None of US pushed the button..."
  • I'm pretty sure it states that no-one must die.
  • And how would they know someone died?
  • edited February 2009
    You don't know if they know. If they don't know, you have to keep it covered up the rest of your lives and make sure no-one blabs. If they do know, you're fucked.
    It's that or wait another three years.
    Post edited by Omnutia on