This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Anybody on Livejournal?

edited January 2009 in Everything Else
Apparently, it could go under after recent layoffs of 20 of 28 employees and the departure of its general manager.

Comments

• Oh crap, really? I'll have to back that shit up. I don't really use it currently, but I do have a bunch of entries from the past I'd like to keep.
  • Looks like I better download my entries from it. I had one for 5 years.
  • Ah, the LJ. I was actively on it for a few years. After my work blocked it, I got lazy on posting from home. I'll have to check out all my icons on there and back up all that stuff. I don't know about the entries. Perhaps.
  • Okay guys, first, this is old news to the LJ community. I know it's not here, but there has been a lot of discussion of exactly what the circumstances are. I only point this out because you have posted the incorrect numbers that were quickly discovered to be wrong by the community. As an active user of LJ, I can assure you that everyone freaked out when the announcement first came out, but things have calmed down a good bit.

Those numbers are incorrect figures gotten from a report that jumped the gun in the Valleywag. A much better gathering of information can be found HERE

Livejournal is not in danger of going under just because it cut some employees, but if you want to back up your journal, there are plenty of good migrators out there.
  • LJ is pretty interesting. It's really not that much different from other blog sites, like Blogspot or whatever, but for some reason this very particular community built up around it. Also, unlike a lot of other such popular sites like MySpace or 4chan, the technology that powers LJ is actually really great. It's full of open source standards based awesomeness. It's also one of the only things out there that actually uses FOAF.

If it closed, I think that would be pretty rough. Even though it's full of garbage, that's still a lot of stuff that would be lost. Get it in the wayback machine first at least.
  • LJ is pretty interesting. It's really not that much different from other blog sites, like Blogspot or whatever, but for some reason this very particular community built up around it.
    It's because of the way they deal with their friends list and groups. It's also an RSS aggregator, although not as well organized as Google Reader, so it's only really good for things that update every once in awhile.

I was upset with LJ for a long time because I hated that people would use it as a replacement for talking to each other. "Hey man, what's up?" "Oh, read my LJ." Once I got out of college and became a little more active, I found out that it's actually a great tool if used in a productive way, and there seems to be a lot more signal to noise than on sites like MySpace.