This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Full screen v. Wide screen

Comments

• I vow this day to live until you are my age so that I may then scoff at your physical problems,
    Don't worry: if you don't make it, I'll take up the burden.
  • Ah, the power of the Internet reducing adults to the maturity level of 12 year olds.
  • I vow this day to live until you are my age so that I may then scoff at your physical problems,
    Don't worry: if you don't make it, I'll take up the burden.
    I'll make it. I'm not going to die.
  • edited January 2009
    Oh yes you are.. eventually.

And so, with the closing of the curtain, this thread is now devoted to posting really wide images.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I'll make it. I'm not going to die.
    No, really. He's not going to die. Joe is actually Ra's al Ghul.
  • I'll make it. I'm not going to die.
    No. I'm totally convinced that the only reason people die is because they just expect they will and so they simply accept it and do it. I'm just not going to do it.
    No, really. He's not going to die. Joe is actually Ra's al Ghul.
    Close. I'm Ra's Bannon al Ghul.
  • I've beaten everyone else to the punch, and already uploaded a copy of my brain into the nets, so you got nothing.
  • edited January 2009
    Everyone participating, set the image to 500px high. This is about the crazy aspect ratios.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Scott's trolling is hilarious and awesome.
  • Scott's trolling is hilarious and awesome.
    I will tell you the secret to good trolling.

Most trolls work by saying something wrong. For example, they will go on Slashdot and say "Linux sucks. Windows Vista is the best." Thus, all the smart people are baited. They get enraged as thry try to educate the troll.

For real quality trolling, you have to be right, like I am. That way, most of the time you aren't perceived as a troll. You are percieved as a smart, good, poster. However, when real idiots appear, they are revealed by your correct trolling.

That is the secret.
  • You've got to remember that the FRC is a collection of almost equal parts scientists and artists: we take both art and science very seriously.
    Computer Science is not a science. The actual scientists are in the minority.

Rym and Scott are wannabe scientists. :P
  • Computer Science:Math::Engineering:Physics ?
  • Computer Science is not a science. The actual scientists are in the minority.

Then explain why I have a bachelor's degree of science.
  • edited January 2009
    Computer Science is not a science. The actual scientists are in the minority.

That's what they decided to call the degree, in addition to it maybe being more specialized than a BA. I have a bachelor of science degree in history, but that doesn't mean history is a science.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • I don't even really disagree with the general premise that movies shouldn't be altered. I was just trying to have some fun.
    The first person to accuse members of trolling does so himself. Ahh... the hypocrisy.
    For real quality trolling, you have to be right, like I am.
    Wow. For a second I thought you were describing me.

• That's what they decided to call the degree, in addition to it maybe being more specialized than a BA. I have a bachelor of science degree in history, but that doesn't mean history is a science.
    It's not?
  • sci⋅ence [sahy-uhns]
    –noun
    1. a branch of knowledge or study dealing with a body of facts or truths systematically arranged and showing the operation of general laws: the mathematical sciences.
    2. systematic knowledge of the physical or material world gained through observation and experimentation.
    3. any of the branches of natural or physical science.
    4. systematized knowledge in general.
    5. knowledge, as of facts or principles; knowledge gained by systematic study.
    6. a particular branch of knowledge.
    7. skill, esp. reflecting a precise application of facts or principles; proficiency.

I do believe that Computer Science and Social Science are both Sciences according to this.
  • MrRoboto and Cremlian are the thread winners.
  • edited January 2009
    I do believe that Computer Science and Social Science are both Sciences according to this.
    As a field of study, American Literature would be a science under that definition. Law certainly would be a science under that definition. Can you think of many subjects that would not be a science under that definition?
  • Can you think of many subjects that wouldnotbe a science under that definition?
    Chiropractic.
  • Can you think of many subjects that wouldnotbe a science under that definition?
    The Arts.
  • edited January 2009
    Can you think of many subjects that wouldnotbe a science under that definition?
    Chiropractic.
    "Systemized knowledge in general; knowledge, as of facts or principles; knowledge gained by systematic study; a particular branch of knowledge; skill, esp. reflecting a precise application of facts or principles; proficiency". Think what you will about the validity of chiro, but it is a "skill" or knowledge that one gains through systematic study.
    Can you think of many subjects that wouldnotbe a science under that definition?
    The Arts.
    "Knowledge gained by systematic study; a particular branch of knowledge".
  • "Systemized knowledge in general; knowledge
    It's not knowledge if it's not true.
    as of facts or principles
    The facts aren't facts, and the principles are ill-defined.
    knowledge gained by systematic study
    There has never been systematic study.
    reflecting a precise application of facts or principles; proficiency".
    There is nothing precise about it.
  • edited January 2009
    "Systemized knowledge in general; knowledge
    It's not knowledge if it's not true.
    So everything I know about Star Trek is not "knowledge"?
    as of facts or principles
    The facts aren't facts, and the principles are ill-defined.
    Their principles may be ill-defined, but they are still principles.
    knowledge gained by systematic study
    There has never been systematic study.
    They will show you much study that they have done. They have developed a whole course of study. That's not to say it's true, but they certainly have a course of "systematic" study. It may be wrong, they might have used their "system" improperly to arrive at their results, but they still studied something in a systematic manner.
    reflecting a precise application of facts or principles; proficiency".
    There is nothing precise about it.
    They will tell you that their subluxations are precise and that it takes a proficient person to apply them correctly.

Look, I'm not trying to defend chiropractic. I think it's a scam too. I'm just saying that I think that definition of science is overbroad and would include chiropractic if we leave our assessment of its validity aside. The definition is validity-neutral. Astrology would be a science under that definition.

Any useful definition of "science" should have at its core the essential reliance on the scientific method to verify/confirm results. If the definition contained that qualification, Chiropractic and Astrology would obviously not be sciences.
  • It's not knowledge if it's not true.
    I disagree with that.
  • I'm just playing you at your own rape-kit game you blind old man.
    This just made me laugh. It was read out of context.
  • I will tell you the secret to good trolling.

Most trolls work by saying something wrong. For example, they will go on Slashdot and say "Linux sucks. Windows Vista is the best." Thus, all the smart people are baited. They get enraged as thry try to educate the troll.

For real quality trolling, you have to be right, like I am. That way, most of the time you aren't perceived as a troll. You are percieved as a smart, good, poster. However, when real idiots appear, they are revealed by your correct trolling.

That is the secret.
    I have a friend who makes a pasttime of trolling like this. He's really quite good at it. Take a condescending tone, add in the fact that he's right, and you'll have people doing splits to defy reality to make him seem wrong.
  • Computer Science is not a science. The actual scientists are in the minority.

There are schools that grant a BA in Computer Science.
  • There are schools that grant a BA in Computer Science.
    Retard schools.