This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Clarence Thomas Asleep During Obama Inauguration Speech

edited January 2009 in Politics
I was looking at that gigapan image of the inauguration day, and probably like a lot of people, I saw Clarence Thomas passed out in his seat almost right behind Obama.

Link

Comments

• That is shameful, but I guess there were no women near him to harass.
  • Uh, he could have just been blinking or readjusting himself or something. Without more pictures there's no way to know that he's sleeping.
  • I looked at the gigapan pic and if you get really close, it looks like he's in mid blink.
  • What I find more interesting is that Bush seems to be Twittering and that Cheney is apparently the only person out of 2.5 million to get table service at the event.

Oh, and Clarence is clearly dozing off, I've been to enough academic seminars to recognize the posture :-).
  • What I find more interesting is that Bush seems to be Twittering and that Cheney is apparently the only person out of 2.5 million to get table service at the event.

Oh, and Clarence is clearly dozing off, I've been to enough academic seminars to recognize the posture :-).
    Bush started his presidency in the year 2000. He probably had a friend rush out and buy an iPhone, and had them give it to him as soon as Obama took the oath. Imagine if I brought you some technology from 8 years in the future. That's what the man is experiencing. True story. When Reagan left office he went to a grocery store, and was completely dumbfounded and amazed by the barcode scanners in the checkout aisle. This is why we need more technology in government. How can leaders lead if they are so out of touch?

When is Clarence Thomas not sleeping?
  • Old people pass out, give the guy a break, he was probably up at like 3 or 4 that morning!
  • When is Clarence Thomas not sleeping?
    That's a good question.
  • I'm inclined to think it was mid-blink. If you look at the crowd, it looks damn cold out there. Not to understate the power of the old fogey nap-power, but I would think it is kind of hard to take a nap in that...
  • edited January 2009
    Or he's looking down at something, which also happens. It would have been better to catch him picking his nose :-p
    Post edited by Cremlian on