This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booting issues

edited January 2009 in Technology
I've been having lots of issues recently with my computer. Just today I walked away from it and when I came back, it crashed and then got held up at the POST screen. I couldn't load the BIOS or anything. Suspecting a HDD failure, I removed it and tried to boot again which caused a sucessful POST. I then plugged the HDD back in and the computer loaded up perfectly fine. I've also had issues with it not recognizing my USB mouse and I have to unplug and plug it back in to get it to recognize after a boot. Do you guys have any ideas what could be causing this issue?

Comments

• Random hardware stuff like that always seems to be motherboard going bad.
  • I'm pretty sure it's your mom.
  • I had the same problem a few days back and I found an article telling me to pull the power completely. I have a laptop so for me that involved pulling the plug and the battery, but as soon as I did that and reinserted the battery everything was working nicely. Assuming you have a desktop you might try taking out the power cord, pushing the power button on the case (to dispel leftover juice) and then reinserting the power cord before turning the machine back on.
  • If you had said that the issue had been persisting since day one, I would have said to check your BIOS settings. Since you didn't indicate how long you've had the issues, we must assume we'll have to start at square one. For random crap that just starts out of the blue like that, I'd start with the power supply as the first point of investigation. If you have a spare, swap it in. If not, get one, preferably better than the one you have now. See if the random issues persist after swapping the PSU. If they do, then the MoBo would be the next thing I'd look at as the point of failure. Check to see if you have any blown capacitors. Remove and re-seat your RAM, video card, and any other peripheral cards you may have installed. Take unneeded USB devices out of the equation as well. You're going to have to systematically narrow it down if you want the problem to go away permanently.