This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Would you care?

Comments

• edited January 2009
    Law of Attraction Is Real
    We Earn An Amazing Income Using "The Secret", You Can Too. Look...

YES!! bogus science ad, they really know what they are doing!
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • I can't even see them, so it's all good.
  • If anyone sees ads which are no good, like for homeopathy or other bullshit, let me know which site they are for. I can filter them out.
  • How I Cured My Diabetes
    An All-Natural Diabetes Treatment Helped Cure My Diabetes Symptoms.

DavesDiabetesCure.com

The SECRET to Acupuncture
    Practice Failure, and how to create the practice of your dreams.

www.AcuGraph.com

Alternative Water Therapy
    See How To Detox/Balance Your Body Request A Free eBook To Learn More!

pHDrinkingWater.com

Free: 1,700 home remedies
    For illnesses A-Z. What your doctor doesn't want you to know. Heal now.

www.herbnews.org

Acupuncture Chrono points
    Circadian Acupressure point Cupping Chinese Zi-Wu-Liu-Zhu acupuncture

Acupuncture-Acupressure-Points.com

Immediate Anxiety Cure
    Natural formula helps you feel calm and in control in only 15 minutes.

Seredyn.com

And the worst of them

Natural Cancer Treatment
    Treat Cancer Naturally w/ Effective Chinese Medicine. Learn More Today!

www.4UHerb.com
  • If anyone sees ads
    Sees? Ads? What?
  • Alright, I filtered some of them. I only need to know the URLs, so no need to paste all that other drek.
  • The ads, I do not see them.
  • How about ads for the GeekNights pregnancy test? ^_^

No would probably be "You can't have 10 babies!", and I don't know what yes would be.....
  • Oh hey. Just noticed them. Meh.
  • edited January 2009

Alternative Water Therapy
    See How To Detox/Balance Your Body Request A Free eBook To Learn More!

pHDrinkingWater.com
    While I know this specific link is bullshit, I was curious about something else. I'm told, by a not-so-reliable source, but a source nonetheless, that you can actually change your whole system from being an acidic system to an alkaline system. How much bullshit is this and is there any truth?
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • You know, I actually enjoy some of the ad providers, like Project Wonderful. More often than not, I'm interested in the Project Wonderful Ads on my favorite sites. Google and the other big ad companies are not quite as good at providing interesting ads, but that's not to say they always fail. Of course, I block all the ads that aren't from PW, so I wouldn't really see them anyhow.

Plus, who really cares that much about ads? I'll watch the 30-second ads online to see my TV shows for free without having to torrent happily. I'm glad to support the shows I like without spending my own money. It's not like I'm gonna run out and buy Edge Shave Gel. The models saying words that don't exist annoy me, but I just ignore it. I'm usually doing something else anyway, like knitting. Same thing with the forum. If I don't like the ads, I'll just ignore them and do something else on the forum. No big deal.
    Can't agree with you more. Considering advertising is the main source of revenue for a ton of web sites, I can't see how people can be so hostile to all of them (certain banner ads, I can understand). I say feel free to ignore it, but it's silly to raise hell when these places are just trying to support themselves.

Also, if it's a web site I absolutely adore, I'll click an ad just to support the site. I'm just that kind of guy.
  • No would probably be "You can't have 10 babies!"
    I can think some girls(read, Half of them) from my high school who would disagree.
  • What, there are ads? I <3 adblock.
  • While I know this specific link is bullshit, I was curious about something else. I'm told, by a not-so-reliable source, but a source nonetheless, that you can actually change your whole system from being an acidic system to an alkaline system. How much bullshit is this and is there any truth?
    What "system" are you talking about? It's just horseshit.
  • edited January 2009
    Gasp! I found an Ad useful, it linked to that anime showing one night in theaters February 6th.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • edited January 2009
    The human body's digestive system is all about the acid. You would need some kind of genetic rewrite to produce alkaline substances and you'd also need a radical change to your entire physiology to accommodate it..
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Yeah, I'm another one that sees no ads at all.
  • Considering advertising is the main source of revenue for a ton of web sites, I can't see how people can be so hostile to all of them
    It's a business model that relies on ignorance and/or charity. I'm of the mind that ad-supported media will become an impossibility within our lifetimes.

I block all ads, and ignore the few that get through. I'm either cheating the provider (not registering as a "hit") or the advertiser (appearing as a fake eyeball). With Internet advertising, someone is always losing somewhere in the chain.
  • Also, I should note that it costs so little to run GeekNights that, coupled with our day jobs, any revenue from ads or merchandise would be negligible. I spend more money on lunch. ^_~
  • edited January 2009
    You do spend more money on lunch. We made $4 yesterday, before taxes.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • You do spend more money on lunch. We made $4 yesterday, before taxes.
    I spend about $60 a week on lunch. I consider it money well spent.
  • I spend maybe $4 a week on PB+J, most of the cost of which is bread. I get lunch out maybe once a week, so maybe $14 a week on lunch, and that's a high estimate.
  • When your website is full of people who are tired of the stupidity of the internet and want an intellectual haven, the amount of money from these ads is negligible.

However, you did mention on the podcast that you gained a lot of money from the affiliate link for the Prince of Nothing book. Throwing out ads in the hope that someone will click is hardly a working economic model. If you were inclined to get money, it seems like posting affiliate links for all the things you review would be the best way. This wouldn't work all the time, and the Prince of Nothing book was hyped quite a bit so that would be a factor in the revenue gained, but the money you would get certainly seems a lot better than throwing out random ads to us smart people.

Of course, this is mostly hypothetical because you get enough money anyway from your jobs and neither do you have any intention of monetizing the show any way, although [Insert slippery slope argument here].
  • edited January 2009
    I'm not trying to make money. I'm seeing how adsense works. It's research.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • man, if you don't want that money, you can put it into the feed the FRC fund for game weekends, I don't feel dirty eating off ad money :-p
  • man, if you don't want that money, you can put it into the feed the FRC fund for game weekends, I don't feel dirty eating off ad money :-p
    I already feed you how much? Also, whatever I order, you wouldn't eat anyway.
  • I might mess around with putting Project Wonderful ads on my site. Just for fun and to see who would bid to be there; if I make more than a penny I'd be happy.
  • This Project Wonderful seems interesting. Maybe I will try a bunch of different ad networks for 1 week each, just to see how they do.

Anyone know any others to try?
  • edited January 2009
    I spend about $60 a week on lunch. I consider it money well spent.
    $8.50 a day? How many times do you eat out per week, just for lunch?
    I spend maybe $4 a week on PB+J, most of the cost of which is bread. I get lunch out maybe once a week, so maybe $14 a week on lunch, and that's a high estimate.
    This makes a lot more sense to me.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • I disagree with Rym about someone always losing with internet advertising. Specifically targeted advertising can be quite lucrative. It has done wonders for selling my gamer stuff; people see the pictures and they want one. Random banner ads, not so good.

If your site gets less than 2k page views a day, it's probably not going to be worth putting up an ad box from PW. I tend to get about one click per 1000 page views of my ad, and that's from sites that cater to geeky audiences. Adblock blocks PW ads, but I still get a reasonable number of visits, so I'd venture to say that not every geek on the net uses it. You still have to have decent traffic to make your ad boxes worth bidding any decent amount on.