This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hangover Cures

edited January 2009 in Everything Else
Last week was great, and I still feel happier than I ever have before in my life. For the first time, I really feel hopeful and optimistic about the future.

So let's just say that there were many times last week that I needed a hangover cure. Now, I know that the only real hangover cure is time, but that doesn't stop people from trying to find cures. I've found that Gatorade can help. I suspect Pedialyte might help as well, but I've never had the courage to try it. One of the best things I've done is a sort of preventive practice of drinking a pint of iced tea or water for every pint of beer.

Does anyone have any working hangover cures?

Comments

• If you want to do something preventative, drinking a half and half bourbon and water, or scotch and water as a mixed drink will not only stop a hangover, but it will also prevent you from ever getting very impaired to begin with. I know this works, and I'm told that it's because you're removing the sugar from the equation, which is the main cause of a hangover.

As for in-the-morning cures, sipping on a beer or a very mild mixed drink for the first couple of hours normally does wonders for me, though I rarely get hangovers to begin with.
  • edited January 2009
    If you want to do something preventative, drinking a half and half bourbon and water, or scotch and water as a mixed drink will not only stop a hangover, but it will also prevent you from ever getting very impaired to begin with.
    I've tried that. I agree for the most part, but I think quantity is key. If you drink enough half water/half bourbon, you'll still be in trouble.
    As for in-the-morning cures, sipping on a beer or a very mild mixed drink for the first couple of hours normally does wonders for me, though I rarely get hangovers to begin with.
    I agree again. As for your resistance to hangovers now, that'll last until you're about 38. After that, they start to hurt pretty bad.

Sometimes I've found that strenuous exercise works out the hangover, but it's really hard to think about exercising when you have a hangover.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Not drinking in the first place works 100% of the time.
  • edited January 2009
    Not drinking in the first place works 100% of the time.
    Yeah, and refraining from intercourse is a 100% effective birth control method, but who here practices these methods of avoiding hangovers and unwanted births? Show of hands?

Just Scott, huh?

I could also have avoided emphysema if I never started smoking, but that ship sailed long ago.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Sometimes I've found that strenuous exercise works out the hangover, but it's really hard to think about exercising when you have a hangover.
    Just do it, man. Hurts so good.
    Not drinking in the first place works 100% of the time.
    Now I know! You don't drink because your sedentary lifestyle precludes you from exercising off the hangover, which would assuredly strike you due to your poor physical condition.

• Yeah, and refraining from intercourse is a 100% effective birth control method, but who here practices these methods of avoiding hangovers and unwanted births? Show of hands?

Just Scott, huh?
    There are other near-100% effective birth control methods besides abstinence. The same can not be said for hangovers.

• Yeah, and refraining from intercourse is a 100% effective birth control method, but who here practices these methods of avoiding hangovers and unwanted births? Show of hands?

Just Scott, huh?
    There are other near-100% effective birth control methods besides abstinence. The same can not be said for hangovers.
    That shows how little you know about drinking. Vhdblood's half water/half bourbon deal is pretty effective.

Just Scott, huh?
    Hangovers are the result of dehydration. Keep hydrated while drinking and the odds of having a hangover are nearly 0.

That's the best hangover prevention: drink water while drinking booze.

Just Scott, huh?
    Hangovers are the result of dehydration. Keep hydrated while drinking and the odds of having a hangover are nearly 0.

While that is indeed true, according to the article, there is a lot more to it than that. Shows how much you know Mr. Science. Watch out for the extra congeners in the hobo wine.
  • Scott's opinions on alcohol consumption are just as informed as his opinions on the Nautilus/Freeweights debate.
  • More alcohol?
  • Here is what has worked for me in the past.

1) Drink lots of water/gatorade before, during, and after consuming alcohol.
    2) Take a multi-vitimin before drinking and again in the morning.
    3) Take acetaminophen or naproxen pain reliever (not ibuprofen/aspirin that have diuretic effects).
  • 3) Take acetaminophen or naproxen pain reliever (not ibuprofen/aspirin that have diuretic effects).
    Actually, while it does help against hangovers, it's not a good idea to do so. The way it works is, instead of your liver working on the alcohol in your body, it starts to work on the medication, which takes less water from your system. The problem is that this is a double dose to handle for your liver. Your liver won't like it. (I have a family member who is doctor and told me this.)
  • More alcohol?
    I've heard of this. I've heard some theories that hangovers are just extremely acute and quick withdrawals (I say "quick" because hangovers last like...a day or so, but some drug withdrawals last days, if not weeks).
    So the cure to that theory is indeed more alcohol.
    Just Scott, huh?
    Worked for me so far...Also, weed is another nice way of not getting a hangover. If anything you feel better in the morning. But take that advice as you will. I've largely stopped smoking in general.
  • I've largely stopped smoking in general.
    Now how did that idea ever dawn upon you, Mr. Smokey smoke smoke smoke?
  • Drink plenty of water before and after you drink More importantly, KNOW WHEN TO STOP DRINKING. Don't try the Hair of the Dog. It only works if you're an alcoholic and dear god stay away from Russian Hangover Cure.

Just Scott, huh?

While that is indeed true, according to the article, there is a lot more to it than that. Shows how much you know Mr. Science. Watch out for the extra congeners in the hobo wine.
    OK, yes, there are other factors. Dehydration is the factor that you can deal with most readily, and remaining properly hydrated while drinking will still mitigate some of the effects of a hangover.
  • edited January 2009
    I've largely stopped smoking in general.
    Now how did that idea ever dawn upon you, Mr. Smokey smoke smoke smoke?
    Well, mostly because of the fact that a large portion of my friends stopped hanging out with my solely for the fact that I started smoking (which I still think is bullshit) and because I found out that a lot of people in my family still smoke weed, and most of them want to quit but really can't, and they'd be happier if they didn't smoke [weed or cigs] or drink. That kind of freaked me out, since it is extremely easy to start doing it every day, and once you're in that rut, it sucks to stop (it's possible, though).

I didn't quit because I noticed any health problems (Though I must admit that I DO notice that I'm a bit mentally sharper in day to day life, though my grades didn't drop when I smoked and they haven't raised since, and I have noticed some lung capacity increase), or for monetary reasons, like most of you would have probably guessed.

And my overall conclusion with it is that if you can keep control over yourself, and not let it take over your life (which just depends on if you have an addictive personality or not), it's really not bad.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • edited January 2009
    I've largely stopped smoking in general.
    I might have to if they don't stop exploding on me.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • If at all possible, I'll end a night of drinking by calmly downing a bottle of water. Not only does it seem to help, but a liter of water ends up being a great motivation to get up in the morning. Otherwise, I start the night with a starchy dinner (one of the few times I don't mind eating potatoes). I've also heard greasy food is supposed to help, but that's more enjoyable when a bunch of people are sleeping over since we all go out and try to piece the night together.

Although I also should mention that I am a healthy, 175 pound, 19 year old male who can not fathom what a 38 year old's hangover must feel like. Normally I don't even really get a headache, I just sort of feel nauseous and crappy in the morning.

Oh, and my sisters and brother all advised me on the family policy for weed: smoke as much as you want during college, but you're officially too old on your twenty third birthday.
  • edited January 2009
    I agree with Socha. The favored cure among me and my friends is to get up early and go to the local diner and order full continental breakfasts with a pitcher of orange juice, then go back to our respective homes and sleep in. The theory is you sleep off the worst of the hangover while your body replenishes itself on the breakfast so by the time you wake up you fell fine. I mostly try to stay hydrated during the night though so I usually manage to dodge the worst of it. And the best part is definitely talking about what exactly happened the night before during breakfast.
    Post edited by WaterInThere on
  • When I was a kid in Germany there were two cures for hangovers:

1) Wurstwasser, which is the leftover water in a jar of Frankfurters (you'll know why, if you have ever bought sausages in a glass).
    2) Take four eggs and half a cup of sugar and mix them. Take half a pitcher of beer and a small yogurt. Combine all of the ingredients and consume in one go.

Only after reading the article provided by Scott do I see the wisdom of number 2.
  • I don't drink and this thread has given me all the more reason not to.

• 1)Wurstwasser, which is the leftover water in a jar of Frankfurters (you'll know why, if you have ever bought sausages in a glass).
    2) Take four eggs and half a cup of sugar and mix them. Take half a pitcher of beer and a small yogurt. Combine all of the ingredients and consume in one go.
    These are more the kind of wacky thing I was hoping to see. Does anyone have anything involving Pepto Bismol? I loves Pepto Bismol.
  • Take four eggs and half a cup of sugar and mix them. Take half a pitcher of beer and a small yogurt. Combine all of the ingredients and consume in one go.
    Timo, barglebargle, that is really awesome and gross.
  • I don't drink and this thread has given me all the more reason not to.
    Sort of an interesting thing about describing pain. It could be the most minor, negligible discomfort in the world, but there's really no way to explain it outside of feeling it for yourself. I remember one time trying to get a friend into doing a belly-flop contest with me, but he refused after I told him it may sting a little bit. Another time, a friend refused to go on a hike with us because we warned her she would feel sore afterward. People will always be paranoid of pain in things they're ignorant of, even when the experienced person assures them it's minuscule.
  • Bellyflops are awesome and the pain is worth it.
  • I was thinking more about the hideous things people do to make headaches go away.
  • I was thinking more about the hideous things people do to make headaches go away.
    That is something you have to consider. I mean, let's say I invented an actual hangover cure that worked perfectly. However, it tasted like poop. I mean it literally tasted like poop, and there was no amount of flavor modification that would work. Would it be worth it? Would you be better off just dealing with the hangover, or better off drinking a poop-flavored liquid?

These are things people have to consider. Is it better to cough and sneeze, or better to deal with the drowsy side effects of NyQuil?