This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Cool musicians. Who are you diggin' right now?

Some of my favorite artists recently.

Jason Mraz or Mr. A-Z
Geek in the Pink

M.C. Lars
Download This Song
All his songs are fantasticly geeky and all really awesome. Check out his other music.

Imogen Heap (she was working with another guy as part of 'Frou Frou', but she wasn't getting enough credit for her work, so she busted out on her own)
Hide and Seek
The vid isn't particularly good, but the music is pretty cool.
Say Goodnight
She's a 1-woman band by the way.

Gnarls Barkley
Crazy
You've probably heard of this guy. His other songs are awesome, but I couldn't find any.

KT Tunstall
Black Horse, Cherry Tree
You've probably heard her on the radio before too. Her other music is pretty kickass. This particular performance, she does everything ALONE. Impressive.

Comments

• edited July 2006
    I've already linked to both Buckethead and Sage Francis, who are two of the cooler musicians that I'm slowly getting into moreso. Here are some links again:

Sage Francis - Escape Artist

Buckethead - Whitewash

Ever since I saw the Unholy Alliance tour, I've been getting more and more into Lamb of God and Mastodon. Lamb of God is a modern death/thrash band, and they're pretty good. Mastodon is more interesting musically speaking, but is somewhat less outright brutal and punishing; they're more experimental sludge metal.
    Lamb of God - Ruin

Mastodon - Iron Tusk

Parts of the Mastodon video might be disturbing if you're squeamish; it features some body suspension, so if you're quite squeamish, it might not be your thing.

Beyond those guys, my newest band is Dragonforce, to whom I have also linked previously. Here's the link again; stay away if you're lactose intolerant, because this is some serious cheese:

Dragonforce - Through the Fire and the Flames

EDIT: As a side note, something has been brought to my attention more and more lately. Uglyfred brought it up first to me on AIM, and then a coworker mentioned it by proxy. Being a big metal fan, this particular phenomenon had become so regular that I failed to notice just how stupid it actually was. This phenomenon? Hair twirling.

For example, take this Amon Amarth song.

This, I would like to say, is the dumbest thing in metal. That is all.

EDIT THE SECOND: New stuff from Strapping Young Lad, the heaviest goddamn band on the planet. Devin Townsend looks creepy as hell, but they're a damn good band.

Strapping Young Lad - Wrong Side

EDIT THE THIRD: OK, we'll see how long I keep doing this. New stuff from Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, minus Blixa Bargeld. Good stuff; if you're not into Nick Cave, get into him. He's quite possibly the single most talented songwriter...yeah. The single most talented songwriter and lyricist ever.

Nick Cave - Breathless
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • First off is Michael Hedges. This guy is a guitar GOD, it's amazing how good this guy is at guitar. It's shame that he passed away a couple of years ago in a car wreck.

Michael Hedges- Ariel Boundaries

And here is Protest the Hero, a sorta post-hardcore/whatever you want to call it metalish band...yeah. They are very talented musicians and actually wrote their newest album so that it was too hard to play it and forced themselves to learn to play it over the past two years.

PTH - Blindfolds Aside

PTH - Heretics and Killers

Finally, Vedera. Yeah they are just good. I wish they had a record quality video on youtube for them.

Vedera - The Falling Kinda (live)
  • If you like women with AMAZING vocals try Emiliana Torrini or Rachael Cantu I'm going through a bit of a indie/alternative female vocalist phase.
  • If you like women with AMAZING vocals try Emiliana Torrini or Rachael Cantu I'm going through a bit of a indie/alternative female vocalist phase.
    I also recommend anything by Anneke van Giersbergen, the singer from The Gathering (a Dutch musical group of wandering genre). She's amazingly talented.
  • Sorry for no links, I'm just killing time at work between projects and don't want to search for links.

Echosilence

A progressive metal/industrial band from Estonia. I managed to find they're music randomly. I believe if you google them, or google for Estonian Metal or Estonain Music you can find them and somewhere to download a few songs.

No Big Silence

Estonian industrial/metal. When Metallica toured Europe in the late 90s, they were the opening act when they hit Estonia. Google for them and they're website is very well done, with videos and a whole album online for listening, but no downloading.

Daft Punk

Rediscovering my love of this band since the album Discovery first came out. Every day part of my commute contains at least one Daft Punk song, usually Prime Time of Your Life.

Tsunami Bomb

Punk rock with female vocalist. Very good melodically in terms of instrumentation (meaning guitar does more than just rythm), sometimes a little too cheesy with their lyrics (punk rockers singing about non-conformity gets old quick).

Johnny 5

The guitarist that played for Marilyn Manson, tons better than I expected. Unique style of metal mixed with country/bluegrass techniques (chicken pickin' is awesome), wholy worth listening too.
  • Voltaire - The best got-damn goth artist ever (and funny to boot).

Flogging Molly - These guys kick ass, if you're into Irish and/or punk music.

And, I have to agree with TheWhaleShark about Nick Cave - he's just awesome beyond words. If you haven't picked up his Murder Ballads album, do so now.
  • The Unicorns-Jellybones - A nerdy indie rock band.

TV on the Radio-Staring at the Sun - TV on the Radio is a New York City avant-garde indie-rock vocal band formed in 2001 whose music spans genres as diverse as free jazz, a cappella/doo-wop, psychedelia and trip-hop.

Maria Taylor-Song beneath the Song - One half of the indie rock band Azure Ray.

Bright Eyes-Waste of Paint - Conor Oberst of Bright Eyes performed this on Austin City Limits awhile back and I have been hooked on the song ever since.

The Deftones-Knife Party - The Deftones, a band I got hooked on while serving overseas. At least stay with this one until you get to the female vocals in the middle of the song.

Underworld-Jumbo - It starts off kinda slow but gets good towards the middle. The music video isn't the greatest but this is a live act, so what can we expect. Here is another from them, just in case you liked it: Underworld - Pearls Girl

Cursive-The Recluse - Another great indie rock band from Saddle Creek Records.
  • At the moment I'm digging:

Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra, Emm Gryner, Broken Social Scene & more.
    We should make a Last.FM Geeknights club too, so we can see what new bands and music we come across, i know Scott's on Last.Fm anyway.
  • I like that idea.
  • http://www.last.fm/group/GeekNights
  • edited July 2006
    Hey yeah! I have one of those too!
    Post edited by crowe on