This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Tora-con 2009

RymRym
edited January 2009 in Conventions
We might well be heading back to RIT for Tora-con 2009 in exception to our general "no small cons" policy. We can make our annual pilgrimage to Millennium Games and Dibella's.

Comments

• I forgot about Tora-con, and I can finally go to it for once. It helps that I'm actually in Rochester this time.
  • hmmmm..... Do I want to go to this....I really want to go to an RIT anime club event...
  • Oh, how I wish I'd be anywhere near Rochester for this. I haven't been to Tora-con since the first one.
  • That reminds me to still pre-reg and reserve a table.
  • Adam and I go to the Rochester area at least once per month to visit my folks, so we could make it. I doubt we will pay for entry into the Con, but we would meet up with people for dinner and the like.
  • What is the best way to get there if you're coming out of state? I'm in Maryland.
  • What is the best way to get there if you're coming out of state? I'm in Maryland.
    Where in MD? I can give you directions.
  • edited February 2009
    What is the best way to get there if you're coming out of state? I'm in Maryland.
    Where in MD? I can give you directions.
    About 40min northeast of Baltimore.
    Post edited by solarplexus7 on
  • Get onto Route 15 North and stay on it through PA and into NY (it will take a couple of twists and turns, but there are good signs, and AAA triptick can give you a turn by turn rundown). It will become 390 North sometime after you cross into NY. Stay on 390 North to exit 13 toward Hylan Drive (there will be other exits that have signs for RIT, but this is the easiest one to take). Turn left onto Hylan drive, pass the mall on your left and Wegmans on your right and continue through a few lights. Turn left onto Jefferson Rd. (Rt. 252). Continue on Jefferson for about 2.5 miles and you will see an entrance into RIT on the left. Follow sign to the Student Union. Google maps has some decent directions, I just checked them.
  • Is that the easiest way? Like is there a train or bus that goes in that direction?
  • You'd probably have to take a train to NYC, then to Syracuse, which would be at least 12 hours (6 from Baltimore to NYC, and 6 for NYC to Syracuse.) And that's not including the layover in NYC between trains, and then the trip from Syracuse to Rochester.
  • Just an update for everyone interested: I'm going to be bailing on Tora-con this year. The rest of the crew had expressed interest in going, so you may still meet some of the FRC, but I'm very likely going to be in Costa Rica instead. ^_~
  • Someone sucks :-p

(well, I would do the same :-p)
  • Will this be your first time out the country?
  • Cost Rica > Anime Con in my opinion.
    Although it will depend on what you're doing in Costa Rica.
  • Although it will depend on what you're doing in Costa Rica.
    It would be hilarious if it was for an anime convention in CR.
  • He went to Mexico and Canada before.
    Visiting my Great Aunt, who lives in a cloud forest and has little tame foxes in her back yard.
    Visiting my Great Aunt, who lives in a cloud forest and has little tame foxes in her back yard.
    That's so awesome. The best I have is an uncle with a condor. It wasn't very friendly to me.
    When you say Costa Rica and cloud forest, do you mean this place?
    Finca Bellavista
    . It's a whole town built in the trees... just like Ewoks! I'd love to visit one day.
    She lives in a Miyazaki movie?
  • edited March 2009
    There are 2 small anime-cons in Costa Rica, one is in July the other one in November.

If you do come to CR, just a small heads up, don't exchange your money at the airport, or with the dudes outside the airport as you will probably get ripped off, take the orange cabs if no one is picking you up, use common sense and even though most Costarricans will go out of their way to help a tourist, bad people take advantage of it to rip off tourists and or mug them, keep an eye on your stuff all the time and when going out on the streets only carry the essentials and stuff you wouldn't mind loosing. If you go to a restaurant/store and the prices are in dollars, its probably a tourist trap. Costa Rican tap water is clean and safe, but the minerals in it are different from yours and in some people that means some digestive distress. If you are presented with the chance to eat patacones, tamales, gallo pinto, black bean soup, chorreadas, platanos maduros con queso y canela, tamal de elote, tamal asado... well, anything you haven't tasted before, please do, its all good.

Almost forgot, restaurants already charge a 10% service tax, so we don't usually tip.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • There are 2 small anime-cons in Costa Rica, one is in July the other one in November.

If you do come to CR, just a small heads up, don't exchange your money at the airport, or with the dudes outside the airport as you will probably get ripped off, take the orange cabs if no one is picking you up, use common sense and even though most Costarricans will go out of their way to help a tourist, bad people take advantage of it to rip off tourists and or mug them, keep an eye on your stuff all the time and when going out on the streets only carry the essentials and stuff you wouldn't mind loosing. If you go to a restaurant/store and the prices are in dollars, its probably a tourist trap. Costa Rican tap water is clean and safe, but the minerals in it are different from yours and in some people that means some digestive distress. If you are presented with the chance to eat patacones, tamales, gallo pinto, black bean soup, chorreadas, platanos maduros con queso y canela, tamal de elote, tamal asado... well, anything you haven't tasted before, please do, its all good.

Almost forgot, restaurants already charge a 10% service tax, so we don't usually tip.
    Thanks! I'm going to be with relatives who have lived there for decades, so I'm assuming that my Aunt knows the ropes. I'll just follow her. I tend not to be a very touristy tourist, but since I don't speak the language, I'm going to need all the help I can get.

I always feel slightly ooky for about 2 days after I travel abroad, while my gut gets used to the different bacteria and the climate/time difference, but if it's about like the usual, it's not too bad...I hope.

Mmmm. Food sounds so good. Plaintains.....mmmmmm.
  • I will be at Tora Con. This will be my 4th year. It is very fun. w00t for being a local Rochestarian.
  • Adam and I frequent Rochester to visit my folks, but I think we would probably just go to meet up with people - not to go to the con.
  • So, Tora-Con 2010 is in...10 days. Who's going? Anyone from the forums?

I will be attending both days, cosplaying as T.K. from Digimon one day and Ness from Earthbound the other.
  • OH SNAP. I totally forgot about this. Yeah, I'm going to go if I'm in town then (I've got a business trip down to Baltimore sometime next week. They haven't told me when yet).
  • Man, I would love to use this as an excuse to come up and visit...hmmmm...
  • I'll be there, and will probably check out EGS' game con that will be going on during Tora-Con as well.
  • So, Tora-Con 2010 is in...10 days. Who's going? Anyone from the forums?

I will be attending both days, cosplaying as T.K. from Digimon one day and Ness from Earthbound the other.
    Are...you going as T.K. to Otakon? That...would be AWESOME!