This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Tora-con 2009

Comments

• So, Tora-Con 2010 is in...10 days. Who's going? Anyone from the forums?

I will be attending both days, cosplaying as T.K. from Digimon one day and Ness from Earthbound the other.
    Are...you going as T.K. to Otakon? That...would be AWESOME!
    I won't be at Otakon this year, unfortunately...Perhaps next year, or hopefully PAX East next year. Then again, T.K. is probably out of place at PAX East, so probably not.

I will be attending both days, cosplaying as T.K. from Digimon one day and Ness from Earthbound the other.
    I won't be at Otakon this year, unfortunately...Perhaps next year, or hopefully PAX East next year. Then again, T.K. is probably out of place at PAX East, so probably not.
    Awww. No Alex presence.

WHAAAATTT?!? What the hell man, I was hoping I'd see you again. Is there any cons you are going to that I might be at. Tell me you're going to Connecticon, at least tell me that you are.
  • I'll be at RIT for the hanging-out, but I'm not buying a badge.

WHAAAATTT?!? What the hell man, I was hoping I'd see you again. Is there any cons youaregoing to that I might be at. Tell me you're going to Connecticon, at least tell me that you are.
    Unfortunately, no. I'm poor...If I get a job this summer, it won't be in time to pre-reg for any of these cons or to plan going there with people. It's too expensive for my brother and I to go alone, and we don't plan on traveling with the same group we went to Otakon last year with. I'm sorry, but it won't happen this year. Hopefully I can find some way to afford PAX East next year...
  • I've got a couple friends going as guests, and my buddy is the DJ this year too, so I'll definitely be kicking around.
  • I wanted to go, but travel is problematic, and I don't really feel like renting a car.
  • Adam and I will be in NYC that weekend.
  • edited April 2010
    If you rented a car, I would chip in and you could stay at my house. It would be fairly cheap, if it were the 3 of us going in together!

(I would not spend much time at ToraCon, though. I would probably be chilling in LeRoy with my family.)

edit: Oh, we should hang with Kate, maybe.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edit: Oh, we should hang with Kate, maybe.
    If you guys are going to be in the City, I'm all in favor of city happenings.
  • Too bad. I wasn't expecting to see the FRC there after last year's comments anyways, though.
  • Too bad. I wasn't expecting to see the FRC there after last year's comments anyways, though.
    What do you mean?
    What do you mean?
    They said last year that they would probably never go to Tora-Con again because they have no reason to return to Rochester. Also, since it's so close to all these other conventions, they probably don't want another one to deal with.
  • They said last year that they would probably never go to Tora-Con again because they have no reason to return to Rochester. Also, since it's so close to all these other conventions, they probably don't want another one to deal with.
    It is true that we've dropped most every small convention we attend in a performing capacity. I believe MAGfest is going to be our smallest show of the year next year.
  • They said last year that they would probably never go to Tora-Con again because they have no reason to return to Rochester. Also, since it's so close to all these other conventions, they probably don't want another one to deal with.
    It is true that we've dropped most every small convention we attend in a performing capacity. I believe MAGfest is going to be our smallest show of the year next year.
    Tora-Con is getting bigger though. Who knows, in a couple of years, it might be big enough. They had a 1000 or so people last year. This year they're expecting close to 2000, their cap being 2500. Given the small overall area that the convention is held in, it's actually getting pretty dense.
  • edited April 2010
    wow, MAGfest is smaller then Zenkaikon :-p
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • RymRym
    edited April 2010
    Our general rule is the 14,000-26,000 attendee range based on past experience. MAGfest gets bonus points for being different, and we really want to see what it's like.

Remember: we dropped Katsucon and Anime NEXT despite their size.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Ah. Well, never mind then. Tora Con will never be that huge, unless it moves out of RIT.
  • Well, apparently I'm going and helping out. Also, I want to get some gaming on, and maybe introduce some anime kids to the fine art of ACTION CASTLE.
  • Well, apparently I'm going and helping out. Also, I want to get some gaming on, and maybe introduce some anime kids to the fine art of ACTION CASTLE.
    If this happens, I will totally spaz out and go.
    Likewise, I would love to see ACTION CASTLE at Tora-Con!! :D
  • I assume Tora-con might get you some year just for the memories, Rym.
    Likewise, I would love to seeACTION CASTLEat Tora-Con!! :D
    I would go to that!
  • I assume Tora-con might get you some year just for the memories, Rym.
    It likely will. I should like to go, but I can't spare the time. PAX is an ever-growing responsibility for us, nevermind having taken over panels at ConnectiCon AND joined the Otakon panels staff. The NYAF/NYCC also requires far more from us, as with its combined power, we really have to bring the A-game events.

We simply don't have the time to prepare for and perform at small conventions regardless of how awesome they actually may be.

• We simply don't have the time to prepare for and perform at small conventions regardless of how awesome they actually may be.
    Unless they are in extremely close geographic proximity. As in, I can take the subway there.
  • GRAWR. Work hasn't said when I'm coming back from Baltimore. I'm not sure if I'm going to make Tora-Con. This kinda (very) blows. Can a company force you to work weekends like this?
  • Can a company force you to work weekends like this?
    Nobody can force you to do anything. But depending on the state, they can fire you at any time for any reason. If you don't want to be fired, or face whatever other consequence, then consult a labor lawyer.
  • Yeah. This is my first salaried job, so I still feel weird about putting in overtime without any (time-and-a-half) compensation. I'm scheduled for a 25% raise in six months, though.
  • putting in overtime without any compensation
    DON'T FUCKING DO T-ohwait United States of North-America.
  • You can always talk to your boss about the possibility of taking comp time later. We used to have weeks where I put in 70 hours, but I could take off the time later to make it average out to 45 hours a week. (That was our company's regular work week.) It was nice, because it meant I could take vacations without taking vacation time.