This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Game Jam 09

edited January 2009 in Video Games
Today is the first international Game Jam. Game Jam is: Thousands of Game Developers Will Be Building Games Around The Same Theme At 52 Sites In 22 Different Countries Across 14 Time Zones Rochester, NY January 21, 2009 – From 5:00pm Friday January 30th through 5:00 pm Sunday, February 1 (all times local to each participating site) Over a thousand college students, faculty and industry members will join together for a 48 hour game building marathon popularly known as a Game Jam. Participants will be given the details of the game design theme, constraints and mechanics allowed when the clock hits 5:00 in their local time zone. As the time zones change, so will those constraints, to mitigate any advantage global location might give one team over the other. While individual and regional Game Jams have been held wherever gamers congregate in the last few years, never has there been one of such size and scope as the Global Game Jam (GGJ)

I'm representing my university which is The University of Wales, Newport and we're one of the only two institutions in the UK taking part. It should be a cool, but tiring few days. Wish me luck

Comments

• edited January 2009
    I too will be there, at Columbia University in NYC, representing... me I guess. I too look forward to this, although I'm a bit nervous never having done something in such a short time. I wish you the best of luck foofly. Now let's go make some games.
    Post edited by ColombianShadow on
  • God, I hate that this thing always takes place around the same time as my birthday. I would rock this so hard. Most likely some of my ex-coworkers will be participating. Yep Katie Salen and Eric Zimmerman are there. It would have been a great place for me to make some connections. Have a great time guys. Drink water and GOODLUCK NEW YORK!! You too Foofly, but my heart belongs to ny!
  • Bloody hell, am I tired, and it's only been about 12 hours. I've been drawing sprites for a good 6 hours now, and am quite pooped. Oddly enough I don't feel sleepy. I'm tired, but my eyes won't close, which is good since I still have a lot of work to do, and bad because my body hasn't been used to this kind of torture for quite some time now. Reminds me of my college days.. sigh.
  • I've been drawing sprites for a good 6 hours now, and am quite pooped.
    Ha, yea same here, nearly over though, Our game is very, very weird and hard. I'm sure I'll link to it when it's done.
  • Hey guys, our team is done, have a look at our completed game "buminabin". Free to play! Whilst you're there, have a look at some of the other entries. Some great stuff.

Exhausting stuff... I'm off to bed for a week.

http://globalgamejam.org/games/buminabin