This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booh yah!

Comments

• Yesterday was the happiest day of my life...I finally graduated from high school and all of us classmates spent our last days together at an amusement park until 1 am. I'll miss everyone, but I'll be certain that I'll seeing them around T_T
  • First full year of teaching done! On to year two (after 2 weeks of training and 6 weeks off)!
  • First full year of teaching done! On to year two (after 2 weeks of training and 6 weeks off)!
    Woo-hoo! Adam will be able to post the same on Thursday. The first year can be so tough as you build up your lesson plans from scratch and adjust to the particular workings/needs of the school. Congratulations!
  • I just spent waaaaay too long making an ePub version of my novel. I had many difficulties, and I learned a lot to overcome them. Things like:
    - online ePub creators all suck balls.
    - online validators don't pick up on all the errors.
    - template files which you can just add to may not be valid, even before you change anything.
    - using the terminal is the only way to zip a directory so that one file is uncompressed and the first element in the final zip file.
    - stanza desktop shows files very differently than stanza on the iphone.
    But plowing through these issues, and many, many other made for satisfying work.
  • Tonight I ran The Sword with my dad, my little brother, and my older sister. Even though I was a tad absent-minded in my GM duties It went amazingly well. My brother did well as the Dwarf character and helped out with the rules a bit (being the only other person who read the books), my sister gets props just for playing and providing the conflict that she did considering the long day she had, and my dad played his character to the hilt, causing the game to culminate in a game of luck with rigged dice in his favor. A good time was had by all and it seemed to me that they'd be up for another scenario if we find the time.
  • Tonight I ran The Sword with my dad, my little brother, and my older sister.
    That's awesome! Do any of them play RPGs, or have they ever played?
  • That's awesome! Do any of them play RPGs, or have they ever played?
    None of us ever have.
  • Today, I started cleaning my room. Though, not amazingly awesome, it is awesome that I will be taking something so dirty and making it beautiful. It's also the first time I'm getting down and dirty on the carpets to get random cat-stains out. Here are some before pictures:
    IMG_3425IMG_3423
    When it's done (which should be later tonight), I'll upload after pictures.

Also, I've just shaved. Again, not too awesome because I don't have a lot of facial hair, but it's enough to be both bothersome to me and my girlfriend, and now my face feels nice.
  • Because of my editorial piece on Public Access TV (specifically on the North Haven High School Student News), I was mobbed today on the streets of North Haven by about 20 fans of my show and are raving me to do more. One of them even asked for my autograph and I could tell this wasn't a setup nor was it staged as I could tell these people really meant it. Yay! I've stepped on the first rung of the ladder of fame: town wide fame!
  • I just got back from my fifth training session at the gym in two weeks. I've been chronically lazy, pudgy, and weak, and now I'm less lazy and weak, and on my way to being less pudgy.
  • Because of my editorial piece on Public Access TV (specifically on the North Haven High School Student News), I was mobbed today on the streets of North Haven by about 20 fans of my show and are raving me to do more. One of them even asked for my autograph and I could tell this wasn't a setup nor was it staged as I could tell these people really meant it. Yay! I've stepped on the first rung of the ladder of fame: town wide fame!
    People watch public access?! Really?
  • I was mobbed today on the streets of North Haven by about 20 fans of my show
    That is awesome.
  • I just got back from an hour long run through the woods on a dirt trail. I was listening to the Initial D soundtrack the entire time. I think the only way I could get more pumped up while running is to somehow have Gurren Lagann playing in front of me.
  • I just got a nice electric razor and couldn't be happier with the shave it gives. As close as my safety razor without the cuts or in grown hairs.
  • Just got a job drawing a graphic novel. It pays better than my day job, and will keep me very, very busy for the next eight months or so. I'm scared, but excited. Things are going the right way.
  • Just got a job drawing a graphic novel. It pays better than my day job, and will keep me very, very busy for the next eight months or so. I'm scared, but excited. Things are going the right way.
    Congrats! Let us know when it will be released so we can check it out!
    Congrats! Let us know when it will be released so we can check it out!
    Agreed! Can tell us what's it about yet?
  • I don't know if I'll be able to talk about it at all. I know for sure that I can't show any art -- I'll be signing a confidentiality agreement.
  • I don't know if I'll be able to talk about it at all. I know for sure that I can't show any art -- I'll be signing a confidentiality agreement.
    Welcome to my world. I love my job but can't really tell anyone why. :P Good luck with your endeavors! ;)
  • edited August 2009
    Good morning Peter,

You have been certified for E. coli and Listeria gels, really nice work. You should receive the evaluation and certificate via mail soon. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Jennifer

Jennifer K. Adams
    CDC/NCZVED/DFBMD/EDLB
    [contact information removed]
    Certified by the CDC for molecular subtyping of E. coli O157:H7 and Listeria monocytogenes by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis (PFGE). That's meaningless to most of the forum, but it's a very labor-intensive and technique-dependent method that's full of pitfalls.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I'm back in Berlin after an awesome 8 week holiday. So, what have I missed on the forum?
  • edited August 2009
    I'm back in Berlin after an awesome 8 week holiday. So, what have I missed on the forum?
    There was another religious argument, but this one only lasted around 1 to 2 hours before it was closed. There was also another epic Joe/Steve battle.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • I'm back in Berlin after an awesome 8 week holiday. So, what have I missed on the forum?
    There was another religious argument, but this one only lasted around 1 to 2 hours before it was closed. There was also another epic Joe/Steve battle.
    I checked out the religious argument, but... the NIV? Seriously? As a bible geek I find the choice of the NIV offensive to my critical sensibilities.
  • I checked out the religious argument, but... the NIV? Seriously?
    It's the weak sauce of the bible world.
    It's King James or nothing.
    Now you're just trying to get me to argue. >_>
    Now you're just trying to get me to argue. >_>
    A little. I'm also being a smartass; it's my normal state of being. It's also a vague Nerf reference, tying back to a version of the Bible being "weaksauce." I was stretching on that one.
  • It's King James or nothing.
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • Try The Bible With Sources Revealed or The Pre-Nicene New Testament; translations by scholars lacking theological agendas are far more enlightening. I don't own either of these books, but have read parts of both.
  • TryThe Bible With Sources RevealedorThe Pre-Nicene New Testament; translations by scholars lacking theological agendas are far more enlightening. I don't own either of these books, but have read parts of both.
    Also The End of Biblical Studies by Hector Avalos. Not really a translation, but a well written criticism of todays "biblical scholars".