This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Your Pens

edited February 2009 in Everything Else
Ok, hands up whoever did a double-take at that title.
Post a picture of your favorite pen/pencil then a list of what you use day to day and why you like them.

====Start ====
My main pen is a Yoropen Executive, makes writing large amounts pretty much painless. Also lets left handers see what they're writing and stops smudging. Ink smells really nice too. If you're doing exams or a lot of writing, you have to try one of these. They make an all plastic version which is much cheaper.

Other than that:
Muji 0.38 Ballpoint - Keep it with my notebook.
Rotoring mechanicals - Used for drawing, wouldn't have bought these if they weren't crazy cheap in a sale.
Muji eraser pen - Really good for small stuff.
(Tablet) Wacom Bamboo - Just the right size for my monitor, need to use it more.

Does anyone know of a good gel pen? I heard Thaed likes them but my experiences are rather smudgy (left handed, remember).

I'm going to put in a big order on Jetpens some time and wanted people's thoughts on a good all purpose sketching pencil, a good fine/extra fine permanent marker and maybe a left handed writer to top the Yoropen.

Comments

• edited February 2009
    I use Bic mechanical pencils on a day to day basis at school.

All of my classes will accept work in pencil, but not all of them (mainly math) won't accept work in pen. So a few years ago I said fuck it and just bought a whole shitload of these things when they were on sale before the school year, and I've been using nothing but these ever since.

All in all, I'm not a big pen fan. My handwriting is piss awful, so I constantly have to erase and re-write words or letters to make them look neater and more readable (well, and I'm OCD with some of my schoolwork). Erasable pen sucks, and normal pen leaves me to scratching out too many times and making my work look a lot messier.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • My Parker fountain pen:

I use the pen for jotting down notes during classes, writing letters and in my journal.
    Fountain pens are great since you can write swiftly, barely touching the paper. They also greatly improve you orthography.
  • Those cheap Bic ballpoint pens. Gel pens suck ass.

While not necessarily for everyday use, when it comes to inking pictures, I find that there's nothing better than Copic Multiliners. It's not just the various sizes of the pens, it's the fact that they're very consistent, it dries quickly so you don't have smudging issues, and from my experience they're water-proof.
  • The pen that is physically closest to me. Right now that is a PILOT fineliner, blue.
  • My favorite pen is the Pilot P-500 ballpoint:

I often use a Pilot Precise V5 as well. I'm currently trying out a Sakura Micron pen for different things, since I heard it mentioned on Friday Night Party Line.
  • edited February 2009
    Bic Velocity. Simple. Cheap. Disposable. I destroy pens.
    Post edited by Jason on
    Does this one count?
  • Pilot Precise V5 Extra Fine; I bought about five or siz packs of twenty back when I was going into high school, have two left sitting in my dorm desk right now.
  • I prefer the classic Dixon Ticonderoga #2 HB pencil (13922). It is a soft, hard black graphite pencil made of premium cedar and a specially formulated latex-free erasure to ensure mark free corrections. The original and most widely used of the Ticonderoga woodcase pencil line, it's quality is second only to the Dixon Executive, which sports a brass eraser ferrule.

For drawing, I prefer a 70lb weight paper due to its inviting texture and slightly firm stiffness.
  • @Funfetus: Wacom Intuos, right? My friend Paul has one of those. I tried using it. While better than the Bamboo, those are just way too expensive for a beginner like me.
  • They don't make these anymore, but I've got a few left.
    I use one of these for all my penciling needs.
  • I've never had need for a fancy pen. For notes at school and work, I either use Notepad (short-term) or Tasks/Sticky Notes in Outlook (long-term, or anything I'll need prompting to remember). For sending snail mail - which happens frequently at work - I just use an ultra-fine-point Sharpie. For drafting assignments or anything where a keyboard isn't ideal for taking notes, I use a standard fare .5mm mechanical pencil.
  • I prefer the classic Dixon Ticonderoga #2 HB pencil (13922)
    I'm more of a fan of the Ticonderoga Black. Once you go black, you won't go back.

I usually use a Uni-ball for most of my pen needs. It's so much better than crappy BIC pens.
  • is it bad that everytime this threads comes to the top I think it says "Your Penis"?
  • is it bad that everytime this threads comes to the top I think it says "Your Penis"?
    Your Freudian is showing.
  • Currently, I usually use a Pilot V-ball with liquid ink in .07 MM, though I do prefer the .05 - However, I also carry a Nice Parker click-top with a stainless steel barrel when a ball-point is preffered(I found it on a bench one day, never failed me since) and my housemates are now quite accustomed to hearing my electric typewriter clattering away till the early hours of the morning.
  • edited February 2009
    @Funfetus: Wacom Intuos, right? My friend Paul has one of those. I tried using it. While better than the Bamboo, those are just way too expensive for a beginner like me.
    Yeah, it's an Intuos3. I actually preferred the pen that came with the original Intuos (which I just discovered they sell for the Intuos3, but hell if I'm paying another $50), because this one is a little too fat. I've never used any of the cheaper Wacoms, but I really can't imagine that the difference in pressure sensitivity (which I think is the only major difference) would really mean much.

Anyway, for REAL pens:
    image with image

That's really all the writing I do.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
    You are not alone.
  • Well now I can't stop thinking about it. Thanks a lot, Cremlian.
  • WellnowI can't stop thinking about it. Thanks a lot, Cremlian.
    Welcome to the Pen15 Club.
  • WellnowI can't stop thinking about it. Thanks a lot, Cremlian.
    Welcome to the Pen15 Club.
    This reminds me of Pen island
  • My favourite inking pens:

For pencils I'm happy with any sturdy pacer... They've gotta be sturdy though. Sooo many pacers are plain flimsy, blegh.
  • I have used these pens since the beginning of high school and they remain my favorite to date. They are used in all cases except for those in which I may need to erase.

• I used to have an Acura convertible fountain pen. It was a thing of beauty. But, I left it in Peru about a year ago :(
    For a while I used the Foray Gel Retractable Rollerball Pen. It is ok, but out of the 12 that comes in a box, 5 are always defective, and since I write a lot the ink was gone in less than a week.
    Right now I am using a Lamy Charcoal Safari, and I am enjoying it a lot
    Those are pretty nice. I have the black one. Best brushpen I've ever used as far as the line it makes, but the ink is a bit light for my taste.
  • Those are pretty nice. I have the black one. Best brushpen I've ever used as far as the line it makes, but the ink is a bit light for my taste.
    I found the same thing, actually. I use those particular pens to do smudge-shading* rather than straight inks. The pentel pocket brush pen ink (the first pictured) is a little better for normal inking, they use a different ink in those for some reason. Most of the time I use india ink and a small brush to ink black lines though.

*Okay, I realise that's probably not a technique anyone else in the world uses/recognises, ahaha. Example here.
  • *Okay, I realise that's probably not a technique anyone else in the world uses/recognises, ahaha. Examplehere.
    That's a pretty nice effect. I've gotta get more into messing with this stuff -- I barely touch my pens and brushes. I'm 99.99% digital as far as inking goes.
  • I'm 99.99% digital as far as inking goes.
    I am the other way round. I cannot ink digitally for peanuts, no matter how hard I try. All my lovely line variation goes to crap and I end up pushing pixels around an enormous canvas, not sure what to do with them. Digital inking is the most frustrating thing I have ever encountered in art.
  • Other than how a pen writes, one of the biggest factors on my choice of pens and pencils is whether or not I can twirl then in between my fingers or spin it on the top of my thumb. If I can't twirl or spin, then it's no good.

I've always been a Pentel RSVP pen fan. I like the look and feel. The twirling and spinning is perfect.

As for mechanical pencils, I like using the cute ones you get at the cutesy Hello Kitty stores along with mechanical erasers, however my overall choice is the Paper Mate PHD pencil. It's bulkiness makes it really easy to spin.