This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Urban Exploration

RymRym
edited July 2006 in Everything Else
Our good friend Aido came out to the GeekHaus in Beacon this past weekend for some good old fashioned urban exploration (aka "infiltration"). We explored an old factory that still has its coal-fired boiler intact, followed by an even older mill.

In keeping with our tradition of risking our lives over silly things (last time she visited, we climbed a rickety-ass fire watchtower at the peak of Mount Beacon that's been abandoned for several decades), we of course made our way onto the second story and then roof of the factory, and watched as the rotten wood floor in the mill started slowly giving way behind us as we made our escape.

She's in the process of uploading all of the wonderful pictures she took now. ^_^

Comments

• Those are terrific pics! The photographer is pretty cute too. Beacon isn't how I pictured it. You guys have a waterway.
  • What the hells is up with the graffiti?
  • I saw this on Aido's LJ earlier...

So, Beacon isn't what I expected either... well unless its all run down mills...
  • I need to get up there to go visit some of these places myself. I had a lot of fun when we all walked the existing length of the Rochester subway. It's too bad that they disassembled the six flags in Houston so dam fast, I would have liked to go through that after it closed.
  • edited July 2006
    Oh ho, you beat me to it! I'm not so sure how long the free flickr's bandwidth will last, but I'll more than likely wind up paying once it runs out.

Rym, bother Scott to get those pictures from the watchtower off his camera!

[edit] I should note that the rest of the photos from the mill are now up.
    Post edited by Aido on
  • You can read all about the difference between free and Pro Flickr here. Normally I wouldn't pay for something like that, but it's $25 a year!
  • RymRym
    edited July 2006
    Beacon is mostly houses outside of the city center, which is nothing but coffee houses, galleries, antique shops, and various local businesses. The ruins are confined to the large creek that runs through the city, the abandoned rail lines along the borders, and the banks of the Hudson River. (Not to mention Mount Beacon itself, which was once home to a fairly large hotel/resort, in addition to the world's steepest rail line).

Downstate New York is densely populated, but not nearly so much as outsiders tend to believe. Even in the Bronx, there are lots of parks, forests, and plenty of open land. Scant miles north of NYC itself, there are mountains, reservoirs, and mostly uninhabited areas.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • One of my favourite things to do: Urban Exploration.
    While i was in Vienna last year i went exploring the Sophiensäle theatre that burned down the previous year. I was in awe at the place and took loads of photographs such as this one : http://www.deviantart.com/view/28756122/ (Please i am not trying to promote myself) The Austrian fire service also put up photographs of them battling the blaze and the aftermath : http://www.firefighter.at/fire/material/einsaetze/sofiens/index.htm

If i ever find myself in the U.S. again, I'm going to make you bring me to some cool urban places Rym :P
  • I'd like to do some urban exploration, seems like a lot of fun.
  • I am jealous of that trip. However, I believe the Rochester Subway was an awesome time. Not much Urban Exploration in my area, but there's actually a good deal of rural and natural exploration to be. The Virginia Decidious Expanse (by which I mean simply the woods)is virtually endless, and number of creeks, hills, valleys, cave, gorges, and ravines is stupendous.

Also, I think everyone should come to Virginia and goto Appalachia (the mountains) with me for a weekend. Tennis shoes and a backpack full of water and food is all that's required for 48+ hours of mountain exploration. Hell, you might not even need the water if we find a spring.
  • Florida sucks.
  • In Baltimore, urban exploration will get you a minimum of 5 years. I shit you not.
  • edited July 2006
    There's nothing to explore in south FL.
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • There isn't much to explore around me, its farms/suburbia, and anything that would have been interesting to search probably has already been torn down and replaced by something