This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Coraline

edited February 2009 in Movies
Just in case anyone hasn't heard about this:
LO3n67BQvh0

I'll be going to see it in about an hour. It looks absolutely amazing.

Comments

• Make sure you see it in the 3D.
  • I saw it and quite enjoyed it, but I felt it had pacing issues and I didn't like the voices of the parents.
  • Make sure you see it in the 3D.
    I saw it in 2D, and really want to find a theater that's playing in in 3D. I had a free pass to the theater I went to (and it's about 3 minutes from my apartment), though. I could see some of the places that were meant to be in 3D.

@Li_Akahi, what pacing issues did you think it had?
  • @Li_Akahi, what pacing issues did you think it had?
    I felt that the beginning just dragged on and on and that once she reached the challenge at the end it moved way to fast.
  • I think that I probably would have noticed the pacing issues if I wasn't so enthralled by the stop-mo style. The movie definitely has its own merit that makes it stand out from the book, but if you want to be scared, read the book first.
  • I enjoyed it, very beautiful and saw it in 3D which was definitely fun. The movies still felt some how off possibly in how it was paced almost too many slow moments to look at the visuals. Have not read the book yet but will soon.
  • Fantastic book, fantastic movie. That's pretty much all I can say.
  • Odd, you guys all seem to have liked this, but so far I haven't heard anything but bad about this movie from people up around where I live. I haven't talked to a wide range of people, but still.

Either way, I know essentially nothing about this movie.
  • I loved Coraline and saw it opening night. It's what I expected and never went over that fence of expectations. In a way it's a bummer, but the style and animation I loved so much. The pacing was a bit slower at the beginning, but it accelerated, which I like. I'm going to read the book since it was in the house.
  • We went to the con, then we went to dinner. After that, we thought we would go see this movie in 3D. The showing was sold out. We tried to buy tickets to the next showing, and it sold out while we were buying them. We'll see it later.
  • Must admit, it was surprisingly good. (I like the fact that her hat gets a suitcase to itself.)
    I felt that the beginning just dragged on and on and that once she reached the challenge at the end it moved way to fast.
    Now that I think about it, you're right. The challenge did seem way to easy, and not all that scary, compared to some of the hints dropped at the beginning.

Of course, the part that I found the most unsettling was the opening credits. Disassembled dolls are creepy.
  • edited February 2009
    The challenge did seem way to easy, and not all that scary, compared to some of the hints dropped at the beginning.
    I would have definitely liked that section more if they showed the world becoming more and more corrupted like the house became after the challenges. That would have also padded the running time a little bit more.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
    Sounds like it suffers from the same pacing issues as MirrorMask, if that is true.
  • I don't know why, but I really don't like the sort of animation like in Coraline, The Corpse Bride, or the Night Before Christmas. Just not my thing, I guess.
  • edited February 2009
    Amazing, an animated flick that isn't about bunch of anthropomorphic animals. How did this one get by Hollywood? Oh wait there is a talking cat. My bad.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • Wired had a wicked article about the making of this movie.
  • The challenge did seem way to easy, and not all that scary, compared to some of the hints dropped at the beginning.
    I would have definitely liked that section more if they showed the world becoming more and more corrupted like the house became after the challenges. That would have also padded the running time a little bit more.
    That would have been sweet. Although I did like the part where the cat was explaining everything to her and they walked out of the world into blank whiteness. It reminded me of old Looney Toons shorts where characters would run off the film.
  • Wired had a wicked article about the making of this movie.
    That was actually how I got interested in the movie- because I saw the classic TNBC designs.
  • I'm just astounded with the amount of work a that went into this movie - for example, every single cherry blossom is a hand painted piece of popcorn.
  • I loved it. Hell, I would have loved it if it was just John Linnell singing the Other Father Song for an hour.

I still need to see it 3D, though.
  • edited February 2009
    I would have loved it if it was just John Linnell singing the Other Father Song for an hour.
    Numero uno on my "Would go gay for" list. <3<3<3

I'm seeing it tomorrow.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I just got back from seeing it. The response amongst the crowd varied from "Too creepy" to "Good but weird." As for myself, I have never read any of Neil Gaiman's books, so I didn't know what to expect. I did notice that the game was done rather speedily, and was plagued with deus ex machina throughout. If it had been slower, and presented more of a challenge to Coraline, that would have helped the pacing immensely. Other than that, this is an incredible movie. On another note, what book of Neil Gaiman's would you recommend for a newcomer?
  • On another note, what book of Neil Gaiman's would you recommend for a newcomer?
    Well, I haven't actually read a lot of Gaiman's work, but American Gods was absolutely excellent.
  • I thought it was excellent.
  • On another note, what book of Neil Gaiman's would you recommend for a newcomer?
    The first Gaiman book I read was Coraline, actually, and since you just watched the movie it wouldn't hurt to read that. Also, American Gods.
  • I just saw Coraline. I think that was probably the most visually impressive animated movie I've ever seen, and yeah, I watched Wall-E.
  • Other than that, this is an incredible movie. On another note, what book of Neil Gaiman's would you recommend for a newcomer?
    Good Omens.
  • Good Omens.
    Honestly, I preferred Terry Pratchett's sections of the book. But yes, it's a good place to start. If you like comics, check out the Sandman series, which he writes.
  • The FRC went to see it last night. I think we all enjoyed it. ^_^