This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I got my own editoral segment on the school news

GeoGeo
edited February 2009 in Everything Else
I am part of the school news program on public access (you gotta start somewhere I suppose), and from the first semester of last year till today I was a cameraman for a reporting segment of the news. However, my teacher (who also worked with my parents, cause they are both librarians, at grad school) noticed a lot of my writing skills because many of my teachers have been praising my said skills and felt that I should have a promotion to have my own segment (her relationship with my parents has nothing to do with this at all). Basically it's an editorial segment where I get to talk about anything I want to, and I thought it best that I start with something a lot of people need to know. Needless to say, I reported on DRM for my very first editorial and also revealed the existence of Defective by Design. This is a good step into taking down DRM because I'm aware that a LOT of people watch the school news, and they will get enlightened.

For the name of my editorial segment, I totally stole the name "My Two Cents" from The Simpsons for my segment, because I couldn't come up with anything better but no one will ever know...hopefully. Just felt like I should get that out on the forum since it's an incredibly relevant topic all over the internets (especially this forum).

Comments

• Any way we can obtain a copy of your two cents? I would like to see the awesome sauce.
  • Any way we can obtain a copy of your two cents? I would like to see the awesome sauce.
    I only reported with a very medium grasp on the topic, and I report it in a way people can understand. Plus, it didn't exactly come out the way I wanted to because I wanted to put in little pop up graphics that were relevant to whatever I said. Maybe on the next one.
  • Report on other things people don't know about, like fake medicine.
  • Report on other things people don't know about, like fake medicine.
    That's a good one. Any time you have a pubilc platform you get to lead people to other interesting resources. You could give your two cents on something like the Skeptics Guide to the Universe or Science Based Medicine and get more people involved.
  • GeoGeo
    edited February 2009
    Report on other things people don't know about, like fake medicine.
    you mean like colloidal silver or vitamin B16?
    Report on other things people don't know about, like fake medicine.
    That's a good one. Any time you have a pubilc platform you get to lead people to other interesting resources. You could give your two cents on something like the Skeptics Guide to the Universe or Science Based Medicine and get more people involved.
    Maybe I'll mention Randi in them a few times.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Could someone tell me what kind of medicines I should report on? Because "fake medicine" is a very broad term and I want to get the best ones.
  • edited February 2009
    Could someone tell me what kind of medicines I should report on? Because "fake medicine" is a very broad term and I want to get the best ones.
    Try doing just homeopathy to start.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Chiropractors, fake herbal remedies (there are some herbs that have verified medical benefits, but they are few and far between), acupuncture, diet pills, etc.
  • Chiropractors are not all bad. Ones that simply pop your back and relax your muscles are perfectly fine and do exactly what they say they will do. The ones that tell you that doing that stuff will fix your flu symptoms, etc. are the ones to watch out for.
  • there are some herbs that have verified medical benefits, but they are few and far between
    It's not just herbs. There are plenty of plants, animals, and minerals that have medicinal properties. However, the medicinal properties do not come from those things themselves, but from chemicals that they contain. Penicillin comes from mold, but you don't eat the mold. You extract the active ingredient and make a pill. To properly treat an ailment, you need a precise dosage, and you don't want any impurities. Here is an article from science based medicine that explains it very well.

Why we don't prescribe tree bark for cancer.

It really makes you think about medical marijuana in a whole new light. Really, there shouldn't be prescription marijuana, there should be prescription THC pills. How would you like it if you went to the doctor and they prescribed you to eat some mold instead of giving antibiotic pills? Sure, if you are stuck in the woods with pneumonia, finding and eating penicillin mold might be a good idea, if you aren't allergic. Otherwise, not so much.
  • Chiropractors are not all bad. Ones that simply pop your back and relax your muscles are perfectly fine and do exactly what they say they will do. The ones that tell you that doing that stuff will fix your flu symptoms, etc. are the ones to watch out for.
    Wrong. Even if the chiropractor doesn't claim to fix your flu, popping your back is extremely dangerous. Even if popping your back does help back pain, at least momentarily, it is extremely dangerous. If you take a massage class, the first thing they tell you is to stay the fuck away from the spine. Do you know how many people leave chiropractor's offices ending up like Christopher Reeve? Too many.

If you have any sort of back pain, you should see a a physical therapist or a *gasp* back doctor. If it turns out that all you need is a massage once in awhile, then you'll be able to get one from someone who doesn't put you at risk of permanent spinal injury.
  • Chiropractors are not all bad.
    Chiropractors are all bad. They're either charlatans or fools: there is no middle ground. Chiropractic is based on the teachings of a known con man, and has no basis in medicine, science, or reality. There is no excuse for it.
    Ones that simply pop your back and relax your muscles are perfectly fine and do exactly what they say they will do.
    No, because Chiropractic is a specific field of "study." If they're truly just giving you a massage, then they're not performing the snakeoil that is "Chiropractic." They are calling themselves such simply to scam people out of their money.
    Why not just go to a massage therapist ;-p
  • edited February 2009
    there shouldn't be prescription marijuana, there should be prescription THC pills.
    Ever hear of Marinol? It's essentially a THC pill, and I don't think it gets you high (though I could be wrong, and there might be two types of THC pills. I remember reading a report of someone taking a THC pill to get high).
    I think the problem is that it's a hell of a lot more expensive than straight up weed is (growing weed isn't any more expensive than growing any other plant, especially if you don't have to hide it).

Plus, vaporizing or eating weed (in the form of brownies or even candy) has virtually no health problems associated with it, so there's really no reason to go into making pills.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • GeoGeo
    edited March 2009
    You know what, I think I'm going to do a 7 part segment (I just figured maybe seven would be enough) called "Quack-O Medicine".
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Ever hear of Marinol? It's essentially a THC pill, and I don't think it gets you high (though I could be wrong, and there might be two types of THC pills. I remember reading a report of someone taking a THC pill to get high).
    I think the problem is that it's a hell of a lot more expensive than straight up weed is (growing weed isn't any more expensive than growing any other plant, especially if you don't have to hide it).

Plus, vaporizing or eating weed (in the form of brownies or even candy) has virtually no health problems associated with it, so there's really no reason to go into making pills.
    The problem with Marinol was that, while it did work, I also made people sick to their stomachs. Vaporising is definitely the way to go, but they are pretty expensive so some uh....patients, might not be able to afford one.
  • Chiropractors are not all bad.
    Chiropractorsareall bad. They're either charlatans or fools: there is no middle ground. Chiropractic is based on the teachings of a known con man, and has no basis in medicine, science, or reality. There is no excuse for it.

Ones that simply pop your back and relax your muscles are perfectly fine and do exactly what they say they will do.
    No, because Chiropractic is a specific field of "study." If they're truly just giving you a massage, then they're not performing the snakeoil that is "Chiropractic." They are calling themselves such simply to scam people out of their money.Hmmm, I had seen quite a bit of stuff on chiropractic medicine, but I hadn't really heard what was wrong with the field. Now that I actually did a bit of research, I see the issue.

D.D. Palmer regarded chiropractic as partly religious in nature, and in a letter of May 4, 1911 he said: "we must have a religious head, one who is the founder, as did Christ, Mohamed, Jo. Smith, Mrs. Eddy, Martin Luther and other who have founded religions. I am the fountain head. I am the founder of chiropractic in its science, in its art, in its philosophy and in its religious phase."

Fucking scary. Sorry for stating what I did. Seeing that and reading quite a few other things, as well as stepping back and looking at the big picture, I can see the issue.

Overall though, I still have a question. Do any of you pop your back at all? I mean, I've pretty much been unable to move until having it popped or popping it myself. Granted, it's not in a shop with an hour and a half treatment, but I can still see the benefits. If you don't pop your back, are there any safe ways to do it? What do you do if you get extreme back pain? In some cases, pain killers just don't get the job done.
  • omg do chiropractors! You'll piss of SO many people, it'll be great!
  • omg do chiropractors! You'll piss of SO many people, it'll be great!
    Well, some people will be pissed off. Other people will just be confused. Most people think that chiropractor is just the word for back doctor the same way that cardiologist is the word for heart doctor. I even used to think that, until I found out the real deal.
  • edited February 2009
    It really makes you think about medical marijuana in a whole new light. Really, there shouldn't be prescription marijuana, there should be prescription THC pills.
    The problem with this is that cancer patients have severe nausea and cannot swallow pills and/or keep them down. Medical marijuana is helpful in its inhaled form. Before you advocate an injection, I would remind you that chemo patients often suffer from collapsed veins and both chemo and radiation patients have no immune systems (which means you want to limit puncture wounds that could become infected).
    Marijuana not only helps to ease pain, it also increases appetite and minimizes nausea.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited February 2009
    The problem with this is that cancer patients have severe nausea and cannot swallow pills and/or keep them down. Medical marijuana is helpful in its inhaled form. Before you advocate an injection, I would remind you that chemo patients often suffer from collapsed veins and both chemo and radiation patients have no immune systems (which means you want to limit puncture wounds that could become infected).
    Marijuana not only helps to ease pain, it also increases appetite and minimizes nausea.
    The solution to this problem is to use an inhaler instead of a pill. There is no reason to breathe in the bad smoke from burning plant matter just to also breathe in the good smoke from the active ingredients that happen to also be in the plant. Extract the active ingredients and deliver them in precise prescribed doses.

Also, marijuana has been linked to testicular cancer. If you have testicles, it might help you with one cancer, and then give you another one. This news makes you wonder about famous men who have had testicular cancer. Tom Green was almost surely smoking the weed. Lance Armstrong doing the weed also? Maybe weed, not steroids, is his problem with drug testing. I can imagine that his gigantic lungs might allow him to get extra high.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited February 2009
    The solution to this problem is to use an inhaler instead of a pill. There is no reason to breathe in the smoke from burning plant matter just to also breathe in the smoke from the active ingredients that happen to also be in the plant. Extract the active ingredients and deliver them in precise prescribed doses.
    You can already do that by smoking it. You can precisely measure the amounts. We know how much THC is actually taken in from the various kinds of weed. Why waste the time and money developing something new?
    EDIT: Does that study take into account men that are already going cancer therapy and consume medical marijuana? If not, the point is moot until further research is completed.
  • You can already do that by smoking it. You can precisely measure the amounts. We know how much THC is actually taken in from the various kinds of weed. Why waste the time and money developing something new?
    Sure, we might know that this marijuana plant has roughly X mg of THC per leaf, and Y % of that makes it into your body when you smoke it, but that is not precise enough. When you smoke, you aren't inhaling all of the fumes. A lot of them are just released into the air as secondhand smoke. Also, every leaf is a different size, and distribution of the THC is not uniform. Pharmaceutical dosage is far more precise. With pills, inhalers, IVs, and other medicinal delivery methods, they can give you an exact number of milligrams of any chemical at regularly scheduled intervals.

Also, when you smoke weed, there are lots of inactive ingredients in the plant that you do not want to be inhaling. The smoke that comes from the burning plant is just as bad for you as the smoke that is released when you burn a pile of leaves in your backyard in the fall. You're basically breathing in ash. In some cases, side effects of medicine can not be avoided. For example, psuedophedrine relieves congestion, but also makes you drowsy. If the unwanted side effects come from the inactive ingredients, it is medically unethical to deliver that as medicine when there is an alternative available.
    EDIT: Does that study take into account men that are already going cancer therapy and consume medical marijuana? If not, the point is moot until further research is completed.
    Did you read the article? I don't know anything more about the study than what the articles on news sites say.

Also, the arguments you are presenting suggest that you have not read the previous article I linked to about why we do not prescribe tree bark for cancer. That article was written by a doctor, who is much smarter than myself. If you want to continue this discussion, I highly suggest you read it very carefully. As of right now, every point you have made is covered by that article, and my rebuttals are merely paraphrasing points from it, only with far less eloquence and detail.
  • edited February 2009
    I can't read it at work. I will when I get home. EDIT: Fuck the rules, I just read it. While the doctor brings up some good points, you can't validly say that the same problems exist with each and every medicinal plants, animals, fungi, etc.
    As for the testicular cancer study, I did not see it mention any of the variables of cancer treatment.
    Moreover, you assume that there will not be harmful effects of other forms of THC. I am all for developing the most useful drugs possible, but all drugs have risks and side effects. Medical marijuana is no exception. I hope that a more effective delivery method or drug is made available. Medical marijuana (like all medicines) isn't for everyone and should only be taken under advisement and informed consent. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be an option until a new delivery method or drug is available that provides all of the same benefits and fewer side effects.
  • That article was written by a doctor, who is much smarter than myself.
    But but but...Where is he getting his money from?! How do you know that he isn't just saying this so that more people will buy pharmaceuticals which will get him more money? What if the drug companies paid him to say that? What if he's part of the new world order?!
  • That doesn't mean it shouldn't be an option until a new delivery method or drug is available that provides all of the same benefits and fewer side effects.
    Well, there are other delivery methods readily available in the form of the aforementioned Marinol. I imagine that developing a version to be delivered by an inhaler would be relatively easy, at least compared to other things pharmaceuticals do. At the very minimum, you could take pure THC without the plant matter and inhale it via a bong. Then, all you would be inhaling would be safe steam and the active ingredient without useless nasty smoke.

Let me make the point using Acetaminophen(Tylenol) as an example. Acetaminophen is a symptom treating medicine, but has a side effect of liver damage, especially if you take too much of it. However, that side effect is seen as acceptable because the long term potential damage is seen as being relatively small next to the much larger immediate symptom relief. Now imagine, for a second, that the liver damage from Tylenol was not caused by the active ingredient Acetaminophen, but by some other inactive ingredient in the Tylenol. Also, there are readily available alternatives to those inactive ingredients that do not cause the liver damage. Would it not then be ethnically unacceptable to prescribe the Tylenol in that form?

That is the issue with weed. The inhaled burning plant matter doe snot just contain the active ingredient. It definitely contains cellulose, but could also contain just about anything else, such as pesticides, fertilizer, bird poop, heavy metals from ground water, etc. All of those possible contaminants, and potential damage they might cause, make it ethically unacceptable to deliver that as a symptom-treating medicine when alternatives exist.
  • edited February 2009
    Okay, you are backing the pill form. I already told you why that is not useful. Also, what alternative medicines are there to THC that help with pain, increase appetite and decrease nausea without taking a pill that do not have the same or worse side effects? EVERY medication has side effects. If the choices are starving and being in greater pain while going through chemo (a treatment whose side effects literally kill you and leave life-long problems) or go through the agony and starve, weakening your body further; I would take the risk of the marijuana.
    Smoke TCH on its own? In what form? How? Do you know what you are talking about?
  • Okay, you are backing the pill form. I already told you why that is not useful. Also, what alternative medicines are there to THC that help with pain, increase appetite and decrease nausea without taking a pill that do not have the same or worse side effects? EVERY medication has side effects. If the choices are starving and being in greater pain while going through chemo (a treatment whose side effects literally kill you and leave life-long problems) or go through the agony and starve, weakening your body further; I would take the risk of the marijuana.
    Smoke TCH on its own? In what form? How? Do you know what you are talking about?
    I'm not backing the pill form. I'm backing an inhaler, a patch, or a liquid. How about a suppository? There are tons of different ways you can put a chemical into your body. Also, while you may have no problem smoking the weed in the classic sense, that's not what it's about. It's about whether it is ethically acceptable for a doctor to perscribe a medicine in which the inactive and unnecessary ingredients have unwanted side effects. If an unnecessary inactive chemical in Tylenlol caused the liver damage that Acetominophen does, would you still take it? Do you think it should be ethical for a doctor to prescribe it while alternatives exist?

As for smoking THC on its own, its elementary school science. Solid, liquid gas. All you need to do is turn THC into its gas form and breathe it in. That means you need to isolate it from other chemicals, which has already been done many times. Then you just need to turn it into a gas, by applying heat. How about putting it into some water, boiling the water, and inhaling the steam? How about putting the crystals on your tounge and letting them dissolve slowly instead of eating an entire pill? You can even use a hookah or bong, you just need to have some constant source of fire because you don't have any smoldering plant matter. That can either be something like a candle, or you can just use some other non-toxic perhaps non-smoking, flammable material. Maybe a hot rock? There are a million ways.
  • I am all for a safer, more effective method. There is no guarantee that any delivery method will be any safer until it is made. Moreover, until there is a better delivery method, shouldn't we use what will help?

You are looking at this as if the person using medical marijuana isn't fighting a deadly disease, dying, or has a chronic condition. Moreover, the case you keep citing discusses chronic pot smokers that use it recreationally (not for a medical condition). It is irrelevant to this discussion. If you want to talk adverse side effects to people that would be prescribed medical marijuana, then cite relevant information.
  • edited February 2009
    At the very minimum, you could take pure THC without the plant matter and inhale it via a bong. Then, all you would be inhaling would be safe steam and the active ingredient without useless nasty smoke.
    Ever hear of vaporizing (which you should have, since it's already been brought up in this thread...<_<)?
    Vaporizing is when you put straight up weed buds into a machine, like <a href="http://www.77seeds.com/images/volcano.jpg">the volcano, fire it up, and go. It is not smoke. It is almost pure THC vapor that comes off. Thus, you're getting all the helpful THC you need, minus the harmful smoke.

Here is some more info:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_cannabis#Reducing_Health_Risks [notice how the picture they use is almost exactly what you described]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporizer

That method does use plant matter, though, but it's still achieving the goal that you're looking for.
    I'm backing...a liquid.
    Liquid THC is already available. This is an episode of the weed report, which is a Youtube show that a medical marijuana patient puts out every so often. He goes to dispensaries in California, and in this episode he is showcasing some liquid THC he bought.

There's also Green Dragon, which is when you let weed soak in high proof alcohol, which somehow activates the THC. I think you get drunk and high on this, and I've only heard limited reports of actually using Green Dragon. But again, no smoke, liquid form.

Also, when you make and consume marijuana edibles, you're not smoking it. So again, you're not getting the harmful smoke. Medical marijuana dispensaries already sell edibles in the form of dessert items, candy, butter, and various other foods.
    pesticides, fertilizer, bird poop, heavy metals from ground water
    If you're growing it yourself (and medical patients are legally allowed to), you'll know what went into that plant. If you're growing it inside (and most people would be, since growing it outside is harder due to numerous factors), bird poop and pesticides aren't a factor. Fertilizers are still present, but most people stop using them a week or two before they harvest their plants.
    Marijuana smoke certainly does have bad things in it...but nothing you mentioned (other than the heavy metals, which I'm not sure about). Plus, as I pointed out above, there are many safer alternatives to smoking.
    every leaf is a different size
    Good thing you don't smoke weed leaves to get high. [Though in this case, Scott is right. Measuring precise amounts when smoking is a ridiculous and nigh impossible suggestion.]

Also, that article made me rage a little:
    we know very little about the long-term health consequences of marijuana smoking, especially heavy marijuana smoking,"
    That's garbage. People have been smoking weed in America for a long time. There are easily many studies of people who have been smoking weed for 10-30+ years out there. People who smoked weed in the 60s and 70s are now getting to the age where cancer and other health problems would be showing up, so uh...yeah, I don't see why we would know very little about long term health problems...
    To shed a little more light on this, look here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_cannabis#Cancer_risk
    In the articles that wikipedia cited, there are numerous studies of long term smokers (such as this one), which furthers my point.
    Now, whether or not marijuana is linked to testicular cancer is something I don't want to comment on, since (other than that article) I haven't read anything about a link to weed and testicular cancer. I just wanted to point out that ridiculous statement.
    Post edited by Dkong on