This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Accepting Your Mortality

Comments

• edited February 2009
    Wow... you all have such hang ups about age and death. I 100% accept my own mortality and have no qualms about aging beyond hoping that I do not become a burden to those I love.

Seriously, enjoy the age you are. There are some amazing benefits to mental and emotional maturity. Deeper, richer relationships for one. While your body will not stay at its peak, a reasonably healthy lifestyle can minimize some of the painful effects of aging.

Enjoy where you are at and work to make tomorrow even better. What is the alternative? Obsessing over the inevitable and missing out on the good stuff by focusing on the negative? That is just a crummy existence and a waste of time.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Read Phoenix or any work from Tezuka or Naoki Urasawa.
  • I think obsessing about your mortality for a bit is good for everyone at some point in your life. Obsessing over it is the first step in coming to terms with it eventually. If you don't focus on it and think about it you might never truly understand it. I'm pretty sure every teenager has these sorts of thoughts. (some of them become goth too :-p)
  • Read Phoenix or any work from Tezuka or Naoki Urasawa.
    Read the entirety of Phoenix. Reincarnation is probably my favorite idea when it comes to what happens after death.

I keep thinking of this song, though.
  • edited February 2009
    Patrick Park is my man on this topic.

Life is a Song.
    Post edited by Zeehat on

• Tomorrow Wendy is going to die.

Hope I get old before I die
  • I keep thinking of this song, though.
  • edited February 2009
    I strongly suspect that the main reason people die is that they accept their own mortality. They believe that they will die and so they actually do.

I'm not accepting it. If you want to die, then go ahead. I'm just not going to do it. Besides, I have to be around to laugh at Scott as he ages. He's already losing his hair. Something tells me he's not going to age well.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • I strongly suspect that the main reason people die is that they accept their own mortality. They believe that they will die and so they actually do.

I'm not accepting it. If you want to die, then go ahead. I'm just not going to do it. Besides, I have to be around to laugh at Scott as he ages. He's already losing his hair. Something tells me he's not going to age well.
    That hasn't worked so far, but keep working at it ;-p I would agree with you partly, people who give up on life definitely die faster then those who fight to survive, but accepting that you will die someday does not mean you want to die today or tomorrow or 50 years from now, it just means you don't get all anxiety ridden about it.
  • I'm not accepting it. If you want to die, then go ahead. I'm just not going to do it.
    Joe's new forum handle: Methuselah.
  • My issue has never been accepting my mortality, it's the mortality of my friends and family. I really don't know how well I would take it if my mother or father passed away, or for that matter, any of my close friends. Knowing that one day that has to happen is the issue I have trouble with.

• That hasn't worked so far, but keep working at it ;-p I would agree with you partly, people who give up on life definitely die faster then those who fight to survive, but accepting that you will die someday does not mean you want to die today or tomorrow or 50 years from now, it just means you don't get all anxiety ridden about it.
    Ali G agrees with you:
  • My issue has never been accepting my mortality, it's the mortality of my friends and family. I really don't know how well I would take it if my mother or father passed away, or for that matter, any of my close friends. Knowing that one day that has to happen is the issue I have trouble with.
    I feel the same way. I can accept my own death, weakness, or illness - but those that I love... it's completely different.
  • Once you've stared death in the face a couple times, you learn to accept that it's always there.

• The narrator tells it better than me.
    I feel the same way. I can accept my own death, weakness, or illness - but those that I love... it's completely different.
    I also feel the same way.
  • But I am already dead. YATATATATATA!
  • Working at a hospital (as a security guard) you sometimes see death in shocking and tragic ways. I think what helps me is that early on when I was a teenager, I had been studying about the samurai and lost two of my grandparents within a few months. From then on out, I have accepted the fact that I am going to die someday and not worried about when it is going to happen.
  • I believe that Richard Dawkins said it best:
  • When I was younger I never really thought about the whole thing. Now when I'm over 40 and start to notice that my body is not what it used to be the question of mortality becomes more relevant. My father died when he was 40 and I've now a couple of years past that. Conditions were much different on those days he died but still I consider almost every day to be some extra bonus for me. I'm not afraid of dying but I have to admit that that what will happen to the family after that concerns me more nowadays. So I guess the question comes relevant when it's proper time and most of you should not bother about the whole thing right now. Concentrate yourselves into living instead. At least I plan to stay around for a couple of decades :D
  • I'm a little curious--what's the approximate ratio between atheists and theists on Frontrowcrew? I suspect it's a little more biased towards the former...
  • The actual core FRC? Pretty-much all atheists or agnostic-indifferent (effectively atheists).
  • My information may be out of date, as it stems from discussions years ago, but I think me and Axel are the only theists on here, and he hasn't been posting much, so I guess I'm the resident theist now.
  • I'm deist but I hardly count as "core" FRC.

Still, I intend with my R&D company idea to either find a way to stop aging (and all the stuff that leads to mortality with it), or invent Ghost in the Shell cyber brains.
  • Hm, I think it's about time for another forum census.
  • Nah man do you know how hard it is to get the smell of that smoke out of your clothes?
  • About as hard as actually going door to door.
  • I'm an ignostic unbeliefer. As in, I won't answer a question about belief in anything supernatural until the questioner specifically defines their terms exactly, and will then not answer in a fake-dichotomous positive-negative but in expressing my estimated uncertainty, if not avoiding an answer due to my ignorance of the topic outweighing any certainty that might remain.
  • edited February 2015
    I believe that the Universe has got a lot more going on in it that we can possibly understand just yet, and that just maybe there's some intelligence at work on some scale that we just can't fathom, but it's also entirely possible that what we see is what we get, this is more or less it, and I certainly wouldn't moralize to anybody about it because there's nothing prescriptive in the idea or "mild belief" that there might be some influencing forces we don't know about.

So, that's about it. I guess that's agnostic.

And I started accepting my mortality when I started routinely almost dying. No light, no chorus of angels, sadly, just lots of lost time and then being filled in on the details like my heart stopping, having massive seizures, my spine being broken. I assume being dead is a lot like being unconscious. So, while it's sad and a little distressing that certain people would have to go on without me and deal with the loss, I'm not worried about damnation for picking the wrong mascot or anything.
    Post edited by muppet on