This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Flower, for PS3

edited February 2009 in Video Games
7USpvkyY53Q

I don't know how to react to this game... It certainly calls into question what you can call a video game, I think. It's interactive in a conventional gaming way, but it seems more like hands-on art piece.

Comments

• I don't see why it isn't a videogame. It's interactive, and it has a clear goal. The only difference from a 'normal' video game is that it doesn't score you.
  • What is a video game if not interactive art? If Electroplankton is considered a video game, this should too.
  • I got a feeling that the gameplay resembles something out of Katamari or American McGee's Grimm.

Electroplankton is not a video game, it's an experience!
  • Having finished Flower (at least from what I can tell,) I have to say that it is a video game by definition. It is however an experience. I think Flower could very well be equated to being something like a video game poem.
  • I don't see (from only that video) how it is much different from Cloud, or even Flow.
  • I don't see (from only that video) how it is much different from Cloud, or even Flow.
    But you couldn't tell the difference between Mario World and Mirror's Edge.
  • But you couldn't tell the difference between Mario World and Mirror's Edge.
    Mistaking me for whom are you?
  • You see what I did there?
  • You see what I did there?
    I do, it is however doesn't make any sense in light of the discussion. All you did was take the short-sighted point of my post and made an unrelated point to the entire discussion. Though, since you are Omnutia, I have you ask you for who you are mistaking me.
  • edited February 2009
    Well, did you think about, am I mistaking you? Or was someone else at the keyboard?

Also, would you like me to explain the problem with your statement to you or can you work it out yourself?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I think this Flower game looks beautiful. If I had a big HD flat screen, I'd mount it to the wall and just let this game run in some sort of Demo mode all day. That, the Uniqlock screensaver, and some sort of starscape.
    What makes it different is that it all culminates in something. There is actually a narrative to the game that is told completely through playing the game, it isn't just the sort of zen calming gameplay. It's on my list with Portal for games that anyone interested in game design should play.