This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Photos

Comments

• This deer is curious. He licked my car.
    You know, it took us a couple of weekends to figure out why our car would spontaneously self clean at our summer cottage.
  • Uploaded some new pictures.

The strange thing about this picture is that I walked out and though "Wow, the world looks over-saturated.", so I took a picture.

Leeds Hackspace Barbecue.

The people in the shed opposite ours; Restoring a VW beetle.
  • edited May 2010
    Leeds Hackspace Barbecue.
    I look like I'm trying to use magic powers on the fire. That's firebending, son!
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Yesterday I learned about depth of field, exactly how to adjust it, and then took a million excited photos.

• Amazing...those are beautiful. Keep it up, we need another photographer in this thread.
  • edited May 2010
    Pro Tip: If you are ever taking a shallow depth of field photo, and it has a pair of eyes in it, ALWAYS have the sharpest focus on the eyes! The second to last photo above is good, but in all the rest the you've focused on the bridge of the nose, and for the cat it's a patch of fur above the left eye.

Normally focusing on the bridge of the nose, or just the face in general, isn't a bad thing. But now you only have under an inch of depth to play with, so focusing is now far more difficult.

My favourite out of all of these photos, by far, is the ant.
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • I wrote an article about the Berlin Juggling Convention this year, and I need some photos. Instead of focusing the show and normal things that appear in convention reviews, I'd concentrate on five other things: Daniel's Geek Table, Fight Night, The Fashion Show, Sport Hocker and the Fashion Show. Katrin had asked me to take photos of the fashion show too, so I put in extra effort to capture the spirit of the event. They are displayed in a chronological order, click for high resolution versions, and all are released under a creative commons 3.0 license. Enjoy!

Breakfast.

Daniel's Geek Juggling Table.

Neta and Noam preparing for the fashion show.

Frix and Katrin, two of three fashion show organisers.

DJ.

Katrin.

Preparing the bubbly.

DJ and JJ.

Paparazzi.

Ana sorting the music.

Karo and Gonzalo.

Jacob looks Sharpe.

V.I.P.

Press.

JJ and DJ.

Milan.

Anja and Joerg.

DJ.

Neta and Noam.

Jacob.

Guillaume.

Milan and Alan.

Karo and Gonzalo..

Karo and Gonzalo.

Umbrellas.

JJ.

Hannah and the press.

Stefan and Guillaume.

Stefan and Guillaume.

Stefan and Guillaume.

Karo and Neta.

Karo and Neta.

Stefan and Guillaume.

View from the sound desk.

Frix and Ana.

Frix, Katrin, Ana.

Davidone.

Flo and Jochen pose for a combat photo.

Volleyclub

Volleyclub

Volleyclub

Volleyclub

Volleyclub

Volleyclub

Volleyclub

Volleyclub

Volleyclub

Volleyclub

Volleyclub

Volleyclub

Water melon.

Sven tries cigar boxes.

Sport Hocker.

Sport Hocker.

• I am all ready for Otakon!

Yeah, I know it's not a costume, but I do want to show off my geekiness some way. ...really need a quality camera instead of just my phone.
  • Observation: You hardly ever see fat jugglers.
    Monetization: Write a book called The Juggler's Diet. Make millions.
  • edited June 2010
    Observation: You hardly ever see fat drummers.
    Monetization: Write a book called The Drummer's Diet. Make millions.
    Also works. Although, I think that has to do more with most drummers being fidgeters, but that could be the case with jugglers too.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Observation: You hardly ever see fat drummers.
    Gene Hoglan will fuck you up son.
  • edited June 2010
    >hardly ever

Penn Jillette is a fat juggler.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited June 2010
    "Juggalo" comes from "juggla" - which comes from "juggler" - and I assure you that fat juggalos are alarmingly common.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Observation: You hardly ever see fat jugglers.
    Monetization: Write a book called The Juggler's Diet. Make millions.
    True, there are very few fat jugglers. It takes a certain body type. Or it attracts a certain body type.

Penn Jillette is mostly a magician, and there are many fat magicians.

Also, do note that most of these photos are from a fashion show and two sporting competitions. They are further self-selecting for fitness.
  • "It's such a beautiful day, I think I'll walk." Actually, I went to the canal to feed the swans. I took my camera, to practice taking photos without looking through the viewfinder.

As I was trying to take a photo of a swan taking bread out of my hand, a man walked past with two small dogs. Here is one. Behind are some other people enjoying the sun, and behind them is a hospital.

As I was trying to take a photo of a swan taking bread out of my hand, a man walked past with two small dogs. Here is one. Behind are some other people enjoying the sun, and behind them is a hospital.

A swan pulling bread from my hand. Taking photos directly into the sun is quite tricky. For all these photos, to stop too much of the swans being "blown out" white, I turned the exposure compensation down a notch.

A swan pulling bread from my hand. Taking photos directly into the sun is quite tricky. For all these photos, to stop too much of the swans being

Aiming a 50mm lens without looking through the viewfinder is really tricky, but I got some good shots. I decided to process them to look like greetings cards.

Aiming a 50mm lens without looking through the viewfinder is really tricky, but I got some good shots. I decided to process them to look like greetings cards.

Increasing exposure? Check. Boosting vibrance and saturation? Check. Decreasing clarity? Check. Over the top vignetting? Check!

Increasing exposure? Check. Boosting vibrance and saturation? Check. Decreasing clarity? Check. Over the top vignetting? Check!

This one is taken without holding the camera five centimeters from the water.

This one is taken without holding the camera five centimeters from the water.

This one is my favorite.

This one is my favorite.

I discovered a great way to know if the swan is in the center of the frame. I looked at the automatic shutter speed readout on the LCD. When it read "1/600" I knew it was pointing at something dark, like the water or trees. When it said "1/3200" I knew it was pointing at something bright, like a swan in the sunlight. I'm going to use this trick in the future if the subject the right contrast.

Also, I discovered that ND filters would be a really cool tool for photographing anything in weather like today, using a 50mm prime lens. That's a project and a lesson for another day.

• Dog photo
    That building has some crazy angles to it. Is that an artifact of the short focal length?
  • It is both the shape of the building and the lens type. The hospital, when seen from above, is a V-shaped. From that angle it looks strange, but the rectilinear wide angle makes it even stranger.

Most lenses have fish-eye properties, which means when you zoom out, straight lines curve inwards at the corners. See every skateboarding video ever. Rectilinear means that all lines stay straight, but when tilted at an angle it makes parallel lines diverge drastically. You get this same effect with FPS games. I love the look. The DP on Dexter does too, as it isn't really how the eye sees things (if that can even be known), and by using that kind of lens in a TV drama, it instills an unusual vibe.
  • As usual, those are some great pictures Luke. However, why would you ever want to go and feed swans? Swans are assholes.
  • As usual, those are some great pictures Luke. However, why would you ever want to go and feed swans? Swans are assholes.
    I had some old bread. Also, I'm taking part in a photo marathon this weekend, and wanted some practice.

Yes, swans are assholes. But pretty assholes.
  • See every skateboarding video ever.
    This is good advice. Skateboarding videos are awesome. I was just watching some the other day, despite not having skated in years.
  • Skate videos have made me hate the fisheye lens.
  • Skate videos have made me hate the fisheye lens.
    Yeah. It's so awful. Things like The Shining (the very beginning) used to be great, but now I can't look at a wide angle lens shot without thinking of skate vids.
  • Sometimes, life's alright. Ya know?
  • The weather was terrible at the first stop in Iceland. Seydisfjordur isn't really a jumping place, so all I did was go to a hotel to use the internet.

In fact, the rain was so bad, I spent part of the morning watching Dexter. I finished all of season 3 in two days.

In fact, the rain was so bad, I spent part of the morning watching Dexter. I finished all of season 3 in two days.

My only photo while off the ship in Seydisfjordur, some wooden sculptures.

My only photo while off the ship in Seydisfjordur, some wooden sculptures.

Guest entertainers get nice cabins with windows, but often those windows look out onto life boats. I only notice the man working on the boat once I'd stripped off my wet trousers.

Guest entertainers get nice cabins with windows, but often those windows look out onto life boats. I only notice the man working on the boat once I'd stripped off my wet trousers.

Reykjavik! A silhouette of the cathedral.

Reykjavik! A silhouette of the cathedral.

I visited the Blue Lagoon for the first time. I took a bus out from Reykjavik by myself because I couldn't secure a place on the crew tour.

I visited the Blue Lagoon for the first time. I took a bus out from Reykjavik by myself because I couldn't secure a place on the crew tour.

The part of the blue lagoon where swimming isn't a good idea.

The part of the blue lagoon where swimming isn't a good idea.

Jon and Stewart.

Jon and Stewart.

As I met up with the crew tour at the lagoon, I decided to sneak onto the bus for the journey back to the cruise ship.

As I met up with the crew tour at the lagoon, I decided to sneak onto the bus for the journey back to the cruise ship.

Greenland! My first time visiting the biggest island in the world. This is a glacier near the entrance to Prins Christian Sund, a channel between the mainland of Greenland and some small islands. The helicopter flew the length of the channel, to make sure it was clear of ice.

Greenland! My first time visiting the biggest island in the world. This is a glacier near the entrance to Prins Christian Sund, a channel between the mainland of Greenland and some small islands. The helicopter flew the length of the channel, to make sure it was clear of ice.

Another glacier. The ship stopped close to this one, and the officers on the bridge sounded the whistle. The blast of sound knocked a huge chunk of ice off the front into the water. It's good to see a plan come together like that.

Another glacier. The ship stopped close to this one, and the officers on the bridge sounded the whistle. The blast of sound knocked a huge chunk of ice off the front into the water. It's good to see a plan come together like that.

Kids on the ship playing their own version of Jenga.

Kids on the ship playing their own version of Jenga.

A waterfall.

A waterfall.

Looking back along the sound.

Looking back along the sound.

A typical Greenlandic village. Population: 160. Main income: seal hunting.

A typical Greenlandic village. Population: 160. Main income: seal hunting.

The village scrap heap.

The village scrap heap.

A sailing boat rounding an iceberg.

A sailing boat rounding an iceberg.

Qaqortoq from the top of the hill.

Qaqortoq from the top of the hill.

The Ocean Princes and the Saga Ruby (a ship I worked on last year) anchored off Qaqortoq.

The Ocean Princes and the Saga Ruby (a ship I worked on last year) anchored off Qaqortoq.

A helicopter flying past the Ocean Princess.

A helicopter flying past the Ocean Princess.

The same helicopter.

The same helicopter.

A test shot for a juggling clip. I stood on the edge of this ridge, and tried not to fall off the cliff.

A test shot for a juggling clip. I stood on the edge of this ridge, and tried not to fall off the cliff.

A pond on the top of the hill.

A pond on the top of the hill.

The Saga Ruby.

The Saga Ruby.

• Greenland! My first time visiting the biggest island in the world.
    Australia?
  • Luke, do you drink Dos Eqius? Because I think you are probably the most interesting man in the world.
  • Greenland! My first time visiting the biggest island in the world that is not a continent.
  • Luke, do you drink Dos Eqius? Because I think you are probably the most interesting man in the world.
    I had to look this up, and I'm glad I did. Those adverts are really good. There is a subtlety to the line "I don't drink beer very often, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis" that hits the perfect spot. Full marks to the ad agency for that one.

As for me being the most interesting man in the world... I doubt it. But here's the thing: if you're not TRYING to be the most interesting man in the world, at every opportunity, you're dong life wrong.
  • I had the opportunity to make myself and several others LOL while doing my job.