This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

2009 Con Season

2»

Comments

• Be grateful to be close to a big con rather than those stuck with some small crap con.
  • edited February 2009
    Be grateful to be close to a big con rather than those stuck with some small crap con.
    Well, he should be grateful that he has a chance to go to a big con period.
    On the other hand, I go to a lot of small cons every year. I like them all, usually. There are as many good and bad things about them as there are with big cons. For one, I find it easier to make friends with people at small cons. Since there aren't as many people, you can easily spend a good hour talking to someone, vs. at big cons you might see someone once the whole weekend and barely say anything to them. It's more tight-knit at small cons. Game rooms are usually uncrowded, and can sometimes be really fucking awesome (A&G; Ohio had maybe 500-600 people at the entire con, but they got a sponsor for the game room. They had a MAME cabinet, about twenty 24" flatscreen tvs, plenty of new and retro consoles, and about 5 computers set up for Starcraft...easily the best game room I've ever been to at a con. Colossalcon managed to get a DDR machine in '08...etc). They are usually able to get away with more things that bigger cons can't. For instance, at Anime Punch, they usually show a mix of licensed and unlicensed shows, and they tend to focus on older stuff, or stuff that's just coming out in Japan. At bigger cons, usually it's just new licensed material being shown. A&G; also had a sweet nerf war lasting until 6am, since no one wanted to stop playing since it was so damn fun, even though it wasn't supposed to run past 4. No lines for anything, ever. Price is also a big factor. At small cons, room and badge prices are usually really cheap. If you manage to go cheap whenever possible (including splitting your room with 4-5 people), you can easily go to a small con with ~$100 and be perfectly fine.
    On the downside. Dealers rooms are usually shit. There are a lot less panels (which never bothers me much, but I can see how it bothers Rym and Scott). Less events. Less video rooms (although this isn't always the case, Anime Punch had more video rooms than Ohayocon, and it was much more diverse).

If anyone lives near Ohio, I recommend going to either Colossalcon or Ohayocon. Colossalcon is expanding into an actual convention center this year, and the attendance has been skyrocketing recently. Ohayocon's the biggest con in Ohio. Take your pick - go to whichever is closer to you.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Since there's a GeekNights appearance at Anime Boston this year... Rym/Scott, did you guys submit any panels and hear back today?
  • Being in England, our con season is very small, but I am going to Minamicon next month. After that, I'm saving up to canoodle off to Japan for Comiket.
  • I am planning on breaking my convention virginity by attending Animazement this year.
  • I've been to two conventions so far this year.

Visioncon in Springfield, MO - It was about 100 people and gaming focused. I think this was the first 'party con' I've attended. Lots of drinking after dark, but the dance room was surprisingly empty.
    Kawakon in St Louis, MO - A little bigger, but a lot younger crowd. It was the same weekend as Katsucon, and also anime themed. I enjoyed the 'Worst Video Games" tournament.

Next up is the convention I'm staffing, Naka-kon in Kansas City, MO. After that I'm looking at Anime North in Toronto, then tossing around the idea of Otakon or Connecticon. I'm leaning more towards Connecticon to appease my webcomic fanaticism.
  • I plan on going to Anime Weekend Atlanta this year. Scared about going, but figure I should give it a try.
  • Why are you scared?
  • Never been to any type of convention before and crowds make me nervous. About the only time I have ever been comfortable around crowds are at pro wrestling events.
  • Just think of it as the same thing except they're screaming for anime rather than people fighting.
  • Just think of it as the same thing except they're screaming for anime rather than people fighting pretending to fight, but actually being very gay.
  • Just think of it as the same thing except they're screaming for anime rather than peoplefightingpretending to fight, but actually being HARD GAY.
  • Just think of it as the same thing except they're screaming for anime people fighting, but actually being very gay rather than people fighting pretending to fight, but actually being very gay.
  • Epic lulz, you guys. That's anime cons in a nutshell.
  • Epic lulz, you guys. That's anime cons in a nutshell.
    Most of those seemed to be dissing pro wrestling.
  • So....Fist of the North Star is more realistic than pro wrestling?
  • So....Fist of the North Star is more realistic than pro wrestling?
    They're equal. However, FotNS gets points because unlike pro-wrestling, it doesn't pretend to be real.
  • They're equal. However, FotNS gets points because heads explode more often than they do in pro-wrestling.
  • They're equal. However, FotNS gets points becauseheads explode more often than they do in pro-wrestling.
    This is also true.
  • Pro-Wrestling is theatre with a high degree of dangerous stunts and stage fighting. People are actually involved and injuries happen. I would qualify that as "more real" than any animated show.
  • There is a co-worker who is wanting to go to Anime Weekend Atlanta, but her concern is finding someone to look after her 1-year old son. I offered up the solution that a baby cart be built, he can go as Daigoro, I'll go as Otto Igami, and my co-worker can go as Lady Snowblood.
  • There is a co-worker who is wanting to go to Anime Weekend Atlanta, but her concern is finding someone to look after her 1-year old son. I offered up the solution that a baby cart be built, he can go as Daigoro, I'll go as Otto Igami, and my co-worker can go as Lady Snowblood.
    Yeah, taking kids to anime conventions is usually not a big problem. There really isn't a time when you would ever have to leave them behind. The only problem might be if you want to go to a concert and the loud noise might be a problem for such a small child. Also, if they start crying in panels, you'll have to take them outside. But that's small stuff that just goes along with baby-raising.
  • I recently got the ok from my parents to skip prom and go to Anime Central (Acen). I'm really pumped. One of my friends from around here is coming with me, and I'm meeting up with a lot of my con friends there. This'll be the biggest con I've ever been to and the first out of state con I've ever attended.
  • This'll be the biggest con I've ever been to and the first out of state con I've ever attended.
    Acen 2002 and 2003 were the only ones I attended, and they were fairly awesome. I'm wagering you'll have a much better time there than you would have at the prom. ^_^
  • English Forumites UNITE!

I am going to London MCM Expo, so if any of you guys are going that would be cool. Meet up May 23rd? Can't make Sunday, going camping!
  • Only Otakon right now. All I have time for and all I can afford. XD

Scrym! You gave me a bagel last year. I don't know if you recall that, but it was sustenance for the whole day. XD
  • English Forumites UNITE!

I am going to London MCM Expo, so if any of you guys are going that would be cool. Meet up May 23rd? Can't make Sunday, going camping!
    Sorry, i can't get the time off work.