This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Is Truth Relative or Absolute?

edited February 2009 in Flamewars
I've been tossing this concept around in my head for a few days and I started to wonder what other people think.

Is Truth Relative or Absolute and what problems are caused by someone misinterpreting one for the other?

I've found that what I consider to be Truth is mostly Relative with exceptions for Scientifically Based Truth. Scientific Laws are the Absolutes to me.

Comments

• Truth shines.
  • Everything is science.
  • What do you mean by truth?
  • edited February 2009
    What is truth?

For me, truth is absolutely relative.

But what is your truth?
    Post edited by Nine Boomer on
  • edited February 2009
    The only two things that are absolute in the universe are the speed of light and love :D
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • The only two things that are absolute in the universe are the speed of light and love :D
    Speed of love > Speed of light
  • edited February 2009
    The only two things that are absolute in the universe are the speed of light and love :D
    Love is just a psychological term used to express social interaction that seems beneficial to one or more parties. There really is no such thing as love; at the most, it's an oversimplified way of expressing the complex shapes the biological imperative manifests in social groupings.

I mean, I love my wife, but I know my "love" for her is just a set of ill-defined variables shoved into the shell of a human construct. Love is not immutable, and aside from biology, it's hardly universal or enduring.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • The only two things that are absolute in the universe are the speed of light and love :D
    Love is just a psychological term used to express social interaction that seems beneficial to one or more parties. There really is no such thing as love; at the most, it's an oversimplified way of expressing the complex shapes the biological imperative manifests in social groupings.

I mean, I love my wife, but I know my "love" for her is just a set of ill-defined variables shoved into the shell of a human construct. Love is not immutable, and aside from biology, it's hardly universal or enduring.
    Great, you just had to dissect it, didn't you? Now what are we going to do?

*kicks pebbles*

Great, you just had to dissect it, didn't you? Now what are we going to do?

*kicks pebbles*
    Yeah - way to bring everyone down, Jason.
  • Solipsism.

I win.
  • Solipsism.

I win.
    Add pragmatism, so you can live your life.
  • Truth is absolute; people's perceptions of it (what I'll call "truth") are relative.

People who don't understand that gets upset when they're told "truths" that turns out to be different from the Truth, when in reality, nobody can ever hope to know the Truth. Consequently, the closest people can get to the Truth is to know as many "truths" as possible, and hope that the union of all those "truths" will bring them closer to the Truth.

Now that I think about it, this is sort of like the difference between accuracy and precision. Just because we have very precise measurements doesn't mean that they're accurate.
  • Add pragmatism, so you can live your life.
    And a little bit of randomness, so that others cannot control you.
  • edited February 2009
    Do you mean philosophical truths, scientific, truths, moral truths, etc?
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Add pragmatism, so you can live your life.
    And a little bit of randomness, so that others cannot control you.
    And science, so that I can one day rule the world with mutants.
  • Yeah - way to bring everyone down, Jason.
    Why do people think reality "brings everybody down?" Shouldn't dispelling illusions bring you up? Way to bring everybody up, Jason! Yay! Hero! Reality should be the default "good" position.
  • Why do people think reality "brings everybody down?" Shouldn't dispelling illusions bring you up? Way to bring everybody up, Jason! Yay! Hero! Reality should be the default "good" position.
    Because some people love living in their fantasy world of untruths that when they face reality, they can't deal with it.

You lift me up Jason, especially when my Google Reader sees an update from Quaedam. However, as of late, I've been down. :P

I disagree, true love, unconditional love defies biology and our instinct of survival. Many would say that we protect our family because of our biology but I believe that there is more to that, yeah maybe is a foolish research to know why memories of people that have pass away makes us cry every once in a while, or why they makes us smile.They won't give any benefit besides the feeling of accomplishment after we answer and old puzzle.
    However, I am pretty sure a husband/boyfriend would give his life for his wife/girlfriend even though she is not carrying his kid, and a wife/girlfriend would do the same for her husband/boyfriend, and the same goes for homosexual/ bisexuals. Heck it doesn't have to be your boyfriend or girlfriend just need to be someone that you truly love.
    Granted, I am talking about real love. I do not say the word love to many people, I said to my mom, my dad, my brother and sister. What I mean is that when I first came to this country I heard the word love a lot of times. And I thought: "Wow, is nice to see people that love one another". But later I realize that many of them really didn't mean it at all.
    Then again, true love and true hate are just one leap away.
    Also, if love does not exist why is he fighting for?
  • Also, if love does not exist why is he fighting for?
    And why does he fire four rockets out of the same barrel?
  • Also, if love does not exist why is he fighting for?
    And why does he fire four rockets out of the same barrel?
    Love makes you do impossible things :D
  • edited February 2009
    Love makes you do impossible stupid things
    I retract my statement. It should be, "People do stupid things in the name of love."
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited February 2009
    People also do awesome things with the power of love
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • edited February 2009
    Why do people think reality "brings everybody down?" Shouldn't dispelling illusions bring you up? Way to bring everybody up, Jason! Yay! Hero! Reality should be the default "good" position.
    Because some people love living in their fantasy world of untruths that when they face reality, they can't deal with it.

You lift me up Jason, especially when my Google Reader sees an update from Quaedam. However, as of late, I've been down. :P
    You are insistent. :D
    I have a couple of things in the works, but I've recently change job schedules and it has thrown everything into turmoil. Also, I'm fighting to only write things I think are some standard of quality. I had several posts I just deleted about 30 minutes into the writing because they seemed plastic and petty. Plus, other things I've really wanted to talk about we've already covered thoroughly in the forum. The other day I was pumped to write a rallying cry supporting Wal-Mart, but realized it was just rehashing a thread from last year.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • You are insistent. :D
    Heh. It's all good. I just like giving you shit about it. I understand that our lives do come into play and come first before the intertrons. I just always look forward to reading anything from you or your "partner" Andrew. ^_~
  • Just a random thought: Nothing is absolute. To be absolute is just to be relative to a pre-agreed point.
    Probably not true but, worth thinking about.
  • Pointless Post:
    The truth is relatively absolute and absolutely relative.