This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What Mr.Period Does When He's Not Here.

edited February 2009 in Everything Else
So Mr.Period has been strangely absent as of late, but I have discovered why. It took some doing, but the connection is obvious.

This is what Mr.Period does when he's not here.

Discuss: Is this awesome or not? Should unmasked grammar vigilantes run around the country fixing typos like a physical manifestation of MS Word's "auto correct" feature?

Comments

• That story was quite epic and we definitely need more people joining the cause.
  • I come from a family of grammar and spelling Nazis. Proper spelling was difficult for me, particularly in my pre-college years, and my family never (ever) tired of correcting me (on spelling, grammar, gutteral stops, misuse of words, and table manners). It even limited my written vocabulary for a few years because each little red mark stung me. While I did and do appreciate what they did for me, I always preferred it when they would discuss it with me and allow me to make the correction. When they just pointed it out in the moment or in front of others, it made me feel like a moron and resistant to what they wanted to teach me.
    While attention to typos, spelling errors, and grammatical errors is necessary to maintain a higher level of discourse, part of me wonders if these guys could do a lot more for their cause. Could they not volunteer at some adult literacy programs or youth education programs? Could they provide fliers to local businesses with common grammar and spelling errors found on signs and menus? Why do such a small case-by-case correction?
  • Why do such a small case-by-case correction?
    To raise awareness. Though volunteering is certainly commendable, I doubt it would catch the notice of a publication like Reader's Digest, not to mention that doing what they're doing now is probably a lot more fun and adventuresome.
    To raise awareness. Though volunteering is certainly commendable, I doubt it would catch the notice of a publication like Reader's Digest, not to mention that doing what they're doing now is probably a lot more fun and adventuresome.
    Isn't that sad. Doing less for your cause gets more attention... pathetic.
    Isn't that sad. Doing less for your cause gets more attention... pathetic.
    Well, volunteering is less visible. What they're doing is more demonstrative than anything else.
  • And it makes them look like snooty douches rather than pointing out a real problem.
  • And it makes them look like snooty douches rather than pointing out a real problem.
    No, it raises awareness. If they were volunteering, would we be discussing this? Probably not.

Awareness>Small Volunteering
    No, it raises awareness. If they were volunteering, would we be discussing this? Probably not.

Awareness>Small Volunteering
    Whose awareness was raised, exactly? I believe members of this forum and most people that would read such an article are already aware of the problem.
  • edited February 2009
    It raised my awareness that there are people out there who like to correct other people's grammar as much as I do. Then again, visiting these forums raised my awareness about that, too.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • I can honestly say that if it weren't for this forum my writing and grammar skills would not be where they are today.
  • AHA! That's where Mr. Period went!
  • Oh. I see now.