This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX 2009

Comments

• edited August 2009
    You're really missing out, Ro. What's commonly perceived to be "The British Accent" is only one of the many and varied accents in England. On that subject, we need to sort out Geeknights excursions to places in the UK.
    Yeah, and while some accents in the UK are lovely, some just sound like growled, guttural gobbledygook.
    I took several accent, dialect and phonetics classes during my Theatre studies. I have to say my favorite accent from the UK that I am familiar with is the Welsh accent, specifically from South Wales.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited August 2009
    Badges arrived in the mail today. Twice the original size, twice the awesomeness because it has rules on the back and helpful information.

I will be sporting my badge this year with a cute Totoro lanyard. ^_^
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I've been away from this forum for far, far too long. PAX reminded me that I need to get back in on this shit and start hanging with you cats again. :)

We should definitely set up some sort of Geeknights forum folks meetup during the weekend. Maybe a bit before the concerts, a bit after, I don't know. I am sure there's a solid bar nearby that would be awesome for everyone. Is there anything like that lined up? If not, well, what the hell?
  • MitchyD!

Yes, we must hang out. I honestly don't have anything planned, yet. I'm sure we'll figure something out. If anything, I'll be checking Twitter throughout PAX, so you can easily communicate with most Geek Nights people and fans on there.
  • I've been away from this forum for far, far too long. PAX reminded me that I need to get back in on this shit and start hanging with you cats again. :)
    Everytime I heard "MitchyD, friend of the podcast" on RebelFM, I am reminded of you.
  • Oh wait, I just figured out why people can't sleep at night in that other thread. PAX anticipation!
  • edited August 2009
    Yep, that's me :) Good to hear, bwaha. You can never escape, no matter how hard ya try.

Two weeks away! Oh shit! I need to get some American monies. So I can spend... very much American monies.
    Post edited by MitchyD on
  • Two weeks away! Oh shit! I need to get some American monies. So I can spend... very much American monies.
    Just use your credit card, and they will automatically convert monies.
  • Two weeks away! Oh shit! I need to get some American monies. So I can spend... very much American monies.
    Just use your credit card, and they will automatically convert monies.
    And charge you a percent (can be up to 10% depending on the card) for each purchase. Check your cards' international use fees v. ATM fees v. bank exchange fees v. travelers checks v. global prepaid cards.
  • And charge you a percent (can be up to 10% depending on the card) for each purchase.
    At least one of my cards does not: they guarantee the best exchange rate of the day for any international purchase. ^_^
  • edited August 2009
    And charge you a percent (can be up to 10% depending on the card) for each purchase.
    At least one of my cards does not: they guarantee the best exchange rate of the day for any international purchase. ^_^
    Yeah, we had one card that did that, but two of our cards would not. Guess which card we used in Iceland? I wonder why cards would charge those fees thus denying themselves business as more competitive cards offer better terms.
  • And charge you a percent (can be up to 10% depending on the card) for each purchase. Check your cards' international use fees v. ATM fees v. bank exchange fees v. travelers checks v. global prepaid cards.
    That's why I got an AMEX card and use it whenever I can. AMEX always fucks over the merchants with huge feeds to help the customer. Of course, that's also why lots of places don't accept AMEX.
  • And charge you a percent (can be up to 10% depending on the card) for each purchase. Check your cards' international use fees v. ATM fees v. bank exchange fees v. travelers checks v. global prepaid cards.
    That's why I got an AMEX card and use it whenever I can. AMEX always fucks over the merchants with huge feeds to help the customer. Of course, that's also why lots of places don't accept AMEX.
    Unless they offer highly competitive rates that no one else can match, I won't use AMEX. In my opinion, having to pay an annual fee for a credit card is absurd when cards with equal benefits are available without the fee.
  • edited August 2009
    Unless they offer highly competitive rates that no one else can match, I won't use AMEX. In my opinion, having to pay an annual fee for a credit card is absurd when cards with equal benefits are available without the fee.
    I don't pay an annual fee. You only have to pay an annual fee for the stupid gold/platinum/black cards. I have a plain old cash back rewards card. No fees or funny business whatsoever. You just have to ignore all the junk they send you in the mail, but that's the same with any card.

Also, I could care less what the interest rate for my credit cards are. The rate could be one billion % for all I care. I pay the entire balance off every month, so I never pay any interest. The only time I will carry a balance is if there is some sort of emergency. If it's that much of an emergency, then it's obviously more important than whatever interest I'll have to pay.

EDIT: I just checked the interest rates because I never looked before. The APR on my AMEX is about half that of my Visa.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited August 2009
    I pay attention to interest rates despite paying my cards off every month. I always seek to minimize the damage of any emergency spending because a huge interest rate on top of paying off a large sum is like kicking myself while I am down.
    As for your visa card, you should shop around for a better rate for a visa unless the card offers other benefits that outweigh that.
    Keep in mind that I maximize my pennies and my credit so that they best work for me. I do not have mad monies and I have a few more financial responsibilities (husband and husband's school debt, dogs, etc.)
  • I can haz Geek Nights PAX button, plz?

Yes. Yes, you can. ^_~
  • DO WANT. Also, your cat looks so cute in that bandana. :3
  • If it counts for anything, I will definitely be in attendance. Will there be some sort of official FRC Meet Up time/location? Perhaps after one of Scrym's panels?
  • If it counts for anything, I will definitely be in attendance. Will there be some sort of official FRC Meet Up time/location? Perhaps after one of Scrym's panels?
    I'll more than likely be at all the panels except Beyond D&D;, so I'm sure meeting up and hanging out not be hard to do! If anything, use Twitter to communicate.
  • I can haz Geek Nights PAX button, plz?
    Digit needs to go to class. Far to few spelling and grammar errors right there. Also, adorable Digit, please stop being so photogenic.
  • FYI, the weather reports call for showers this weekend. I would suggest preparing for that with any proper attired. Lame.
  • edited September 2009
    Just wanted to make a quick post.

PAX 2009 was beyond amazing. It just keeps getting better and better. I had the best time, and met and hung out with awesome people all weekend.

Just wanted to give special shout outs to HeavyCruiserLost and his posse. It was great meeting you guys and gaming it up. Also to VentureJ. I wish we had more time to hang out.

And of course to the Rym, Scott, Emily, & Alex: I'm always happy to meet new people of the FRC. Hope you guys feel better, for I am also getting a cold.

Jeremy and I plan on attending PAX East 2010. So hopefully more forumites and FRC will be there to meet and hang out with.

Time to pass out..
  • What was at the unknownworlds booth?
    Either I fail, or google and kotaku failed me.
  • What was at the unknownworlds booth?
    Either I fail, or google and kotaku failed me.
    If I recall Scrym said they backed out at the last second. I really didn't spend a lot of time in the Exhibition hall because I really don't think it's worth spending all that time in line waiting to demo a game I know I'm going to buy. :P
  • PAX was incredibly fun! It was definitely interesting to meet with Ro and Scrym (as well as Emily and Alex!) in-person, and it would have been awesome if we could have hung out more. Does standing with the FRC during the concerts, and talking in-between acts count?

Also, I'm proud to say that I was totally winning a game of Advance Wars against Rym and Alex, though admittedly, we were all relatively preoccupied with plans to attend the Comic Drawing panel.

Overall, I stand by this statement once more. I did not meet a SINGLE douchebag at PAX. Every person I approached, spoke to, or played with were cool in their own ways. Mostly everyone was friendly and social, which is something I can't say about the membership of other conventions. I even spent some time with the Enforcers, who were definitely hard-working and considerate.

There is something I have to note, though. There was one point where the Enforcers were hosting a (yes) Pokemon tournament. Unfortunately, due to Wi-Fi and technical difficulties, each player had to wait about 2 hours to actually start playing...and the tournament ultimately didn't pull through. What surprised me the most, though, was how gracious everyone remained about it. Out of the 32 prospective competitors, not a SINGLE person bitched and complained about wasting time. In fact, everyone was damn gracious and gave helpful tips for next year!

I just can't see something like that happening in any other Con.

Hopefully this attitude will be present in PAX East, but it's safe to say that I fucking love PAX.
  • I really didn't spend a lot of time in the Exhibition hall because I really don't think it's worth spending all that time in line waiting to demo a game I know I'm going to buy. :P
    I didn't bother with any of the demo lines myself. There were enough smaller and more innovative titles to check out(PAX 10 had a fun lineup) without any waiting. Another benefit of the smaller booths was that you would get to talk directly to the main developers. It's crazy how small some of these teams are. I think the developers of "Scrap Metal" consists of just 2 guys.

I'm sick of T-Shirts and buttons as swag. I'm more in need of some socks and underwear; I'll see if I can hold out and hope they come through next year. If they want to gamble with the weather, rain ponchos would be pretty nice too. Oh, and deodorant or body spray would be wonderful!

I saw the Beyond Dungeons and Dragons panel and it was quite good. I've actually never played a tabletop RPG, but I enjoy reading the rules for the game mechanics so this was pretty interesting for me. The two hosts, I think they have a podcast, were excellent and the most polished of the presenters I saw at PAX.

It was an exhausting weekend. Perhaps I'm getting old, but I found myself walking home to take naps. I don't know how people can go to the first shows and stay for all the late night stuff as well.
  • One thing that really concerns me about PAX East is the audience that will be permeating there. As far as I know, the people in PAX West are just totally awesome and cool people. What I am worried is that those douchebags and scary fanboys will be there and not make it like PAX West. This upsets me because I just want there to be a con that doesn't have these scary people, and PAX West just sounds plain awesome and a revolutionary change of pace from other cons. I hope PAX East will follow suit.
  • I did not meet a SINGLE douchebag at PAX.
    I unfortunately encountered a couple, but the vast majority of attendees were polite and enjoyable. While in a gigantic line, I had the treat to be stationed next to a couple of guys that were obsessed with winning buttons. They were loud, obnoxious, and pretty rude to the other people in line.

"Dude, I challenge you for all your buttons. What are the actors' names for all the Dr Whos? You have 5 seconds to accept!"

"Uh, what?"

"Times up. I win your buttons."

"No, I never accepted."

"You have to decline a challenge. If you don't, you forfeit."

"Sorry, no way."

And so he goes on to call the guy a loser and starts yelling out loud that he reneged on a challenge, as if anyone cared. It's a good thing that I'm weak and a coward, or I would have punched the guy in the throat. Some people really do deserve to have a genuine sense of shame.
  • West coast? More like best coast amirite?
  • edited September 2009
    I'm sick of T-Shirts and buttons as swag. I'm more in need of some socks and underwear; I'll see if I can hold out and hope they come through next year. If they want to gamble with the weather, rain ponchos would be pretty nice too. Oh, and deodorant or body spray would be wonderful!
    That's probably one of the best ideas I've heard in a while. The swag bags are overrated. My boyfriend and I got our, took out the pins, and took the bags to the car. I had more than enough things to carry around: bag full of Geek Nights pins, my own messenger bag, DS, and a bag full of board games.

Let me just say Dominion and Dominion: Intrigue were the hotness of table top gaming. I played it a few times on Friday with my friends, then immediately bought them the next day. I plan on buying the next expansion, Dominion: Seaside as well as buying card sleeves for them. My friend told me they sell the European-sized sleeves at May Day Games for a decent price. I'll eventually buy them.

I also purchased Agricola for $42, which is a great deal. We also saw that someone is releasing Tsuro again, and it was the immediate buying.

The only other things I purchased was my first PAX shirt, even though it was my 5th PAX along with the bishounen Gabe and Fruit Fucker poster, and the Scott Pilgrim poster.

Eventually, I will post the very few pictures I took at PAX. Honestly, as much as I would want to take pictures of everything, it gets in the way, and I'd rather experience PAX then have a camera in my hand all the time. I will definitely take pictures of all the awesome buttons I traded with the many buttoneers I met. Some of them are epic.

@BrutishSaucer That's unfortunate about the rude DTS players. Also, were you in line for Beyond D&D; to get a button? I hope so because I gave all ALL the buttons, except one for myself, my boyfriend, and one for someone else.
    West coast? More like best coast amirite?
    Youarerite.