This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX 2009

1235»

Comments

• ... letting people bring in outside food.
    What? They don't let that happen at other convention centers? Weird.
  • What is the relation of H1N1 morbidity/mortality rates when compared with the seasonal flu this year?
    I don't have definite morbidity rates but I can tell you compared to seasonal influenza H1N1 pandemic flu has been found in the intestines in addition to all the normal areas of the body you find seasonal influenza. That's why more people are complaining of diarrhea and vomiting with this flu, it's affecting the gastrointestinal tract.

Seasonal influenza mortality ranges from ~0.05%-0.21%. H1N1 pandemic flu mortality is currently ~1.1%, and it spreads just as easily as seasonal influenza.
  • Well, I'm feeling like I'm on the upswing, but I'm still wheezy and achy. Going to the doctor to get screened tomorrow, so I can tell PAX and the airline companies what flights to watch out for, to help track the spread of the disease. Other than that, Alex and I are working from home until we am officially testing negative, because the boss has a baby, and while I think I beat it, I'm not about to head into Manhattan and give it to everyone within coughing range.
  • I just hit up the doc. Pig flu free. The lady said that everyone has been coming in all day with the same business. My friend also had "flu like symptoms" and 101 temp, but no flu. They gave him a shot in the ass and a pat on the back after a blood test. Remember, you don't have any flu unless your fever is something like 100.

I'm glad so far no one is reporting hella flu. Whew!
  • I hope that Rym and Scott's Review isn't them saying OMG PAX was so great and other conventions should do this and other conventions suck because they are not like PAX.
  • I hope that Rym and Scott's Review isn't them saying OMG PAX was so great and other conventions should do this and other conventions suck because they are not like PAX.
    Guess what? It is!
    Guess what? It is!
    Oh Noes ;(
  • I just tested pig-flu-positive. As advised by the doctor, I'll be hiding in a cave with my antiviral meds for the rest of the week.

(Honestly, for me it's been no worse than the regular flu, just trendier.)
  • edited September 2009
    I just tested pig-flu-positive. As advised by the doctor, I'll be hiding in a cave with my antiviral meds for the rest of the week.

SELLOUT!

EDIT: Also, holy shit, I hope you feel better.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Awesome. I may be asked to stay home for the rest of the week as a result of this.
  • I just tested pig-flu-positive.
    I've gone ahead and reported your case to Robert, who is coordinating the tracking effort of the spread out of PAX. I'll assume that Emily will also test positive.
  • edited September 2009
    What is the relation of H1N1 morbidity/mortality rates when compared with the seasonal flu this year?
    I don't have definite morbidity rates but I can tell you compared to seasonal influenza H1N1 pandemic flu has been found in the intestines in addition to all the normal areas of the body you find seasonal influenza. That's why more people are complaining of diarrhea and vomiting with this flu, it's affecting the gastrointestinal tract.

Seasonal influenza mortality ranges from ~0.05%-0.21%. H1N1 pandemic flu mortality is currently ~1.1%, and it spreads just as easily as seasonal influenza.
    It's been a while since I've had a good explanation of H1N1 and why we should or shouldn't be concerned. Could you give me (and the rest of the forums) a quick overview? What parts are media hype and what parts aren't?
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • What is the relation of H1N1 morbidity/mortality rates when compared with the seasonal flu this year?

It's been a while since I've had a good explanation of H1N1 and why we should or shouldn't be concerned. Could you give me (and the rest of the forums) a quick overview? What parts are media hype and what parts aren't?
    You don't think a jump of mortality from 0.05 to 0.21 to 1.1% isn't cause enough :-p
  • edited September 2009
    Good luck getting into the Hilton for Otakon, they're going to be the first to go. Luckily, my friends and I got rooms right as they opened up. That's going to make my cosplaying (3 costumes for next year, whoo!) much easier!

Also, Splosion Man is awesome. Especially it's multiplayer.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • Alex and Emily, feel better soon!

You don't think a jump of mortality from 0.05 to 0.21 to 1.1% isn't cause enough :-p
    Well, of course that's significant. I'm looking for a more detailed explanation from the doctoral candidate whose focus is influenza research. :P
  • I just tested pig-flu-positive. As advised by the doctor, I'll be hiding in a cave with my antiviral meds for the rest of the week.

The "H" in H1N1 stands for haute couture.
  • Well, thanks, everyone.

I'm mostly feeling better already, actually. The worst of it was concurrent with travelling across the country on Monday (flying with sinus headache and fever == maximum suck).
  • Is Action Castle something that would be playable on the forums? I really want to play it...
  • GeoGeo
    edited September 2009
    Is Action Castle something that would be playable on the forums? I really want to play it...
    On Jared Sorensen's site, I think it's giving the hint that a book on how to play it will be sold or something. I'm not sure as it's very vague and only the logo is shown. Plus mad props to Jared for making a clever homage to Zork on the logo.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Alex and Emily, feel better soon!
    Yes, I hope you guys feel better. I'm sorry Seattle hurted you two. >.>

As for myself, I'm sick of sleeping. My voice comes and goes, and I fear coughing.
  • It's been a while since I've had a good explanation of H1N1 and why we should or shouldn't be concerned. Could you give me (and the rest of the forums) a quick overview? What parts are media hype and what parts aren't?
    A really awesome paper came out of the Kawaoka lab in the last few weeks in Nature. I might dig it up and summarize it for you guys. Two other H1N1 papers came out before that in Science but, the CDC's one is super weak (in my opinion) and the other one was super short. In short, if you're gonna look it up yourself, go for the Kawaoka one. If I do it it'll be in the other flu thread though (or a special podcast).
    Looks like you guys aren't alone.
  • Yeah, I laughed at that.
    Alex and I pretty much had the same progression of the swine flu. We are mostly better now.