This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Problem with the book club

edited February 2009 in GeekNights
To be frank, my problem boils down to the book club episodes being all final thoughts with little to get you motivated into actually wanting to reading the featured books. If the stated goal is to get more people to read them, going with the review format and hyping the book up ahead of people reading it would serve the purpose better.
This is just how I perceive things and would like to bring my views to your attention.

Could someone please explain why sticking to doing only final thoughts helps get more people reading a book than a pre-read review or a mix of the two?

Comments

• I agree. The episodes would probably be better if they were 1/2 final thoughts and 1/2 hyping up the next book.
  • That's something to think about.
  • I agree. The episodes would probably be better if they were 1/2 final thoughts and 1/2 hyping up the next book.
    But that would require them to read the book that they were going to review next before they do the review eps for the book they read before it...
    But that would require them to read the book that they were going to review next before they do the review eps for the book they read before it...
    Unless it's a book they've already read, which is more or less always the case (since, had they not read the book, they would not recommend it).
  • edited February 2009
    They could just do the Movies You Should See method of putting a spoiler point half way through the review.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • They could just do theMovies You Should Seemethod of putting a spoiler point half way through the review.
    I think that would defiantly be an improvement on the formula because it would allow for Rym and Scott to do their thing where they talk about how cool and awesome the book it without completely spoiling. I mean the current formula is why I don't want to listen to the Prince of Nothing book-club shows, because I want to read them unspoiled, but I'm not going to drop all of my other books to read them right away.

I'm also behind a book club devoted to the Odyssey or Paradise Lost
  • I don't really understand the "Club" part of the book club. At first Rym and Scott talked about bringing other FRC members or even guests from the forums onto the book club episodes episodes. What happened to that? I'd love to hear more discussion about the books with people other than Rym and Scott. It's their podcast though, so whatever.
  • I have a question that may or may not be construed as a problem (depends on your view), but I've noticed that many of the books you have reviewed are primarily geek books. Would you ever review any other book that doesn't necessarily have the aroma of geekery or being labeled as such? You stated that your goal was to get people to read, not necessarily read geeky books. With that statement in mind, you could review just about any book that comes to mind. Little Women, Little Men, The Divine Comedy, Pride and Prejudice, any Icelandic saga, Faerie Queen, Beowulf, and the works of Homer could all be considered fair game in that regard. Could clarify on what your game plan that you have in mind or are acting on already?
  • I guess they think it's easier to get geeks to read geeky books. They're mostly right.
  • edited February 2010
    Cutting out the classics gives geeks more time for video games and SCIENCE. Classic novels have no place in modern society. [[fnord]]
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I would argue that Beowulf is, at least on the surface, pretty geeky. Warrior hero guy going about slaying monsters to save his peoples? Sounds right up the alley of your standard fantasy book-reading geek.
  • edited February 2010
    I would argue that Beowulf is, at least on the surface, pretty geeky. Warrior hero guy going about slaying monsters to save his peoples? Sounds right up the alley of your standard fantasy book-reading geek.
    Beowulf is one of the best fantasies I have ever read. Read the Seamus Heaney translation, all others suck.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I would argue that Beowulf is, at least on the surface, pretty geeky. Warrior hero guy going about slaying monsters to save his peoples? Sounds right up the alley of your standard fantasy book-reading geek.
    Beowulf is one of the best fantasies I have ever read. Read the Seamus Haney translation, all others suck.
    What about the Robert Zemeckis translation?
  • What about the Robert Zemeckis translation?
    I found it deeply philosophical with well-developed characters, and I thought it stayed incredibly true to the story.

Dohohoho.
  • What about The Sun Also Rises? I know Rym adores it.
  • GeoGeo
    edited February 2010
    What aboutThe Sun Also Rises? I know Rym adores it.
    He adores Hemingway...simple as that.
    I guess they think it's easier to get geeks to read geeky books. They're mostly right.
    Ignoring personal taste (as taste is subjective), shouldn't geeks want to read any book they can get their hands on?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Ignoring personal taste (as taste is subjective), shouldn't geeks want to read any book they can get their hands on?
    Considering that you can get your hands on basically any book you want, no, absolutely not.
  • edited February 2010
    I guess they think it's easier to get geeks to read geeky books. They're mostly right.
    Ignoring personal taste (as taste is subjective), shouldn't geeks want to read any book they can get their hands on?
    You're overgeneralising as to the meaning of "geek" there. Plus, personal taste has far too much of an impact to ignore.
    EDIT:
    Considering that you can get your hands on basically any book you want, no, absolutely not.
    is better.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Considering that you can get your hands on basically any book you want, no, absolutely not.
    is better.
    Thanks, but
    is better. :)
  • Oh noes, the return of Dragon Heat!