This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

MobileMe to Gmail

edited February 2009 in Technology
So, I have about 200 or so contacts in MobileMe, which are mostly names and phone numbers of people (iPhone is synched to it). I'm trying to ditch MobileMe, so I need to move that contact list over to Gmail. I've tried a few things, and now I'm asking the forums for their suggestions.

Here's the deal: MobileMe exports .vcf files. They are formatted like this:
BEGIN:VCARD

VERSION:3.0

N:;;;;

TEL;type=MAIN:1-800-MY-APPLE

ADR;type=HOME:;;1 Infinite Loop;Cupertino;CA;95014;United States

ORG:Apple Computer Inc.;

URL;type=HOME:http://www.apple.com

END:VCARD
Gmail imports CSV files. A Google-y formatted CSV looks like:
"Formatted Name","Family Name","Given Name","Additional Names","Honorific Prefixes","Honorific Suffixes","Nick Name","Birthday","Home Address Street","Home Address City","Home Address State","Home Address Zip Code",[etc]
"Steph Grey","Grey","Steph","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","(925) xxx-xxxx","",[etc]
How do you recommend moving/reformating the data? I need Name, Address, Phone, and email address, at least. Should I look into some kind of scripting, and do you have any pointers? Also, as Gmail also has email address information for a lot of these people, do you know if there is any way to merge the data?

I've been searching for a while and haven't found a solution posted in the internets. I've also tried importing the .vcf into calendar/mail apps (Thunderbird, Kontact, Eudora) and exporting to CSV. I'm getting garbled results no matter what I try.

Comments