This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Otakon 2010

edited February 2009 in Conventions
Since Otakon conversation has been invading the PAX thread, here is a thread for Otakon 2009! Is anyone planning to do any panels or anything special this year?

Comments

• I submitted my Yaoi game show to Otakon. It was a big hit at Katsucon. I also submitted Otaku TV which is about otaku themed shows and a Genshiken panel. I'm also working on a panel that my BF submitted. I hope at least one gets in.
  • I really want to get an artist alley table this year, but I don't think I will have funds when the alley opens for registration. Now if anyone would like to share a table, I could get that person money before or at the con.
  • I'm thinking of getting a table myself. If I'm successful I wouldn't mind sharing. Sharing the table with an artist friend was my plan. Plus I could go to the bathroom! :P
  • I'd definitely like to get one or two tables in the AA. I've already registered and have a hotel reservation, so hopefully the Alley won't sell out before I can get a table!
  • I'm going to Otakon. Not hosting any panels, but I will be cosplaying on at least one of the days as Ness, if everything goes correctly. I've already got the hat. I will also be visiting at least one if not both of Scrym's anime panels (I'm not a table-top-player, so I'll leave Dungeons and Dragons alone for now), as I wish to meet them and hear them live. Good times.
  • I'll be hitting this up this year. It'll be my first Otakon, and my first three-con year ever.
  • I really want to hang out with whoever is going from the forums. Maybe we should trade phone numbers before the con so we can meet up.
  • Good idea. Lets trade pre con.
  • Definitely going. I'll be talking on potentially... 7 different panels. 0_o
  • I may be going...depends on if I can mooch a table off of a friend. It'll make me easy to find though. I would be the table in the Artist Alley that is screaming OSHA orange.
  • I...might be going. I might have to save up monies for the move (back to Rochacha) and go next year instead. I do know that I'm going to PAX, though (and flying to Rochester the day before classes start. I think arriving straight from PAX is the way to go).
  • Only a few days left to pre-register for Otakon 2009. Also, plenty of new awesome guests, like Ishiguro.
  • I've been pre-registered for a while. Looking forward to this Otakon so much! It'll be my first. *Squee.*
    Also, these new awesome guests are awesome. The list keeps getting longer. I don't think they can announce any more awesomeness, though I have been wrong before.
  • Not going. Doing far too much shit in July as it is.
  • Heading down to the con once again. I imagine that I'll be spending most of my time in line for autographs this year considering the guest list. And then hit up a panel or two or even a concert if time permits. Other stuff like the dealer's room, masquerade, and the art room I'll just skip out on since, over the past five years I've been going, it's becoming very "been there and done that" for me.
  • I think for the second time in my life getting an autograph is important. I'm buying a poster just for that.
  • I got very excited when I saw Ishiguro added to the guest list. I'll admit that I haven't seen as much of his work as I would like to (I've seen some episodes each of LoGH and SDF Macross and been watching the 1980 Astro Boy recently), but I very much respect the man based on what I see in the list of his body of work.

Will also be pumped to see Kanon Wakeshima, who I think is a very talented rising artist. I'd been looking for an ALI Project-like artist or group with better vocals for a while up until last year, and upon getting the Vampire Knight ED single, I could tell she fit what I was looking for perfectly. Plus cellos are just awesome. ;) I'll definitely be buying her album.
  • I'll be there like shareware!!
  • I'll be straddling contents - literally. So, I shan't be there.
    Bummer, I wanted to meet you. Anyway, I just pre-registered today (I know it's late) so I will definitely be there. I will be staying in Baltimore instead of having my mom or some other unwilling participant drive me, so I will be able to go to late night stuff this year. Yay!
    Awwww man!! Echoing Li_Akahi's comment, I too wanted to meet you.
  • You guys are sweet. I will be at other events and I did meet Li_Akahi at Otakon previously, but it was only briefly. I hope everyone has double-awesome-super-crazy-'Xtreme fun!
    Oh, does anyone know if Peter S. Beagle will be there again this year?
  • Oh, does anyone know if Peter S. Beagle will be there again this year?
    Wait wait wait wait! Do you mean the Peter S. Beagle?! The Peter S. Beagle who wrote the book that became the awesome movie The Last Unicorn?! Oh mans! If he is there, I will flip out and will be a passable substitute for when I couldn't get Art Spiegelman's autograph at the NYC Comicon.
  • Oh, does anyone know if Peter S. Beagle will be there again this year?
    Wait wait wait wait! Do you meanthePeter S. Beagle?! The Peter S. Beagle who wrote the book that became the awesome movieThe Last Unicorn?! Oh mans! If he is there, I will flip out and will be a passable substitute for when I couldn't get Art Spiegelman's autograph at the NYC Comicon.
    Yup, him. He was a guest last year. I haven't heard anything about him coming back, though.
  • edited July 2009
    Last year he did commentary during a showing of The Last Unicorn. It was like a DVD extra but LIVE! We bought two books of his. It was a great turnout for Sunday morning.

Also, an Otakon related event.http://i43.tinypic.com/2u5x1dz.jpgI'm into that type of scene so I might hit it up.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • He never showed up at Anime Expo. He was slotted after my OP/ED panel, but he canceled, so I got 40 extra minutes to talk. Wondering if he'll pull the same thing with Otakon.
  • We have our Otakon panel schedule:

Know Your Creators
    Friday, 7/17/09
    1000AM - 1100AM
    Panel 4

Cover Your Bases: Anime You Should See
    Saturday, 7/18/09
    415PM - 515PM
    Panel 6

Beyond Dungeons & Dragons
    Saturday, 7/18/09
    645PM - 745PM
    Panel 6
  • Well, I'm definitely hitting up Know Your Creators, no questions asked. And I'll probably go to Anime You Should See.
    Also, when's the official Front Row Crew meet up going to be? You talked about that in the last episode. I assume you're waiting for the schedule so you can pick a timeslot that doesn't conflict with anything, but just making sure.
  • Should I see Beyond DnD at Otakon or Connecticon? I'm assuming Connecticon since Luke Crane will be there.
  • Anyone have any ideas as to which panels they want to go to? I am definitely going to hit up the "Let's Talk Animation! with For Tax Reasons," "Your Favorite Video Game Character Sucks 2: Electric Boogaloo" and one of the cosplaying panels.