This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Otakon 2010

Comments

• I'm interested in the Steampunk panel, provided it's not the same people running it that ran it at Animazement. It was funny for the first while, when they were just sort of casually rambling, but then they decided to talk about construction of props and armor and it was mostly, "Dumpster-diving is completely amazing blahblahblah dumpster armor blah" and "antique stores are awesome but pieces require lots of cleaning. Antiques are old. Blah."
  • Let's Talk Animation! with For Tax Reasons
    Definitely! My Senpai's panel!

Did I tell you I ran into Matt on the 6 train randomly a few months ago?
  • Definitely! My Senpai's panel!

Did I tell you I ran into Matt on the 6 train randomly a few months ago?
    I believe you told that story on an older episode.
    We should try to get all of the people who want to see the panel together and go as a group!
  • Oh right the For Tax Reasons guys have a panel. I ended up meeting to one of them at NY Comic Con this year, I forget which.
  • Is there a schedule that I'm not seeing here? Sure you can see the listings of which panels, but I need to see a schedule to plan in advance.
  • Is there a schedule that I'm not seeing here? Sure you can see the listings of which panels, but I need to see a schedule to plan in advance.
    Panelsts know their own schedules. I don't believe that there is a public schedule yet.
    Panelsts know their own schedules. I don't believe that there is a public schedule yet.
    When I'm at the Q&A; Session, I'm gonna ask them to put up their schedule earlier.
    When I'm at the Q&A; Session, I'm gonna ask them to put up their schedule earlier.
    I believe they would if they could. We probably can't imagine the amount of scheduling conflicts they find themselves in constantly. It takes forever to build a coherent schedule, and that still probably goes through so many changes.
  • I'm doing three panels! I hope you can come! I hope it's okay to pimp them here. I hope I do well. ((o_o))

The Yaoi-ing Game
    Day: Friday, 7/17/09
    Time: 1100PM - 1200AM
    A game show all about yaoi! Come see if you are a true fujoshi or another self proclaimed pairing fangirl. The audience is encouraged to SQUEE, AWWWW, and can participate for little prizes. That way not only the contestants have a chance but you do too!

Otaku TV
    Day: Saturday, 7/18/09
    Time: 430PM - 530PM
    A video panel all about anime about anime fans. Lets get meta as we see our favorite medium acting like we do.

Genshiken: The Panel of Modern Visual Culture
    Day: Saturday, 7/18/09
    Time: 545PM - 645PM
    A panel that is part video, part info and part discussion about the anime Genshiken. A must see for Genshiken fans. A great supplement to Otaku TV.

Then on Sunday I am helping with my boyfriend's Anime Evolves. 10am in panel 5.
  • The Yaoi-ing Game
    Is it worth attending if I don't particularly like yaoi?
  • The Yaoi-ing Game
    Is it worth attending if I don't particularly like yaoi?
    For some comedy yes, but there a high high VERY HIGH chance of penises. If you really are uncomfortable with yaoi I wouldn't recommend it.
  • For some comedy yes, but there a high high VERY HIGH chance of penises. If you really are uncomfortable with yaoi I wouldn't recommend it.
    Unless you're me, and are friends with her co-panelist, in which case you have no choice.
  • edited July 2009
    I'm also doing three panels (maybe five, because I have 2 on the list to replace any that drop out last minute).

I got kind of screwed with early panel times, but here you go:

On the schedule:
    1) Without Watching the Anime: Opening and Ending Themes – Sunday at 10:15 am in Panel 3
    2) The Impact of Evangelion – Saturday at 9:00 am in Panel 1
    3) Anime & Manga Studies – time slot & location unknown

Potential:
    4) The Problem with Otaku
    5) Japan (& Anime) Outside the City
    Post edited by Alex Leavitt on
  • For some comedy yes, but there a high high VERY HIGH chance of penises. If you really are uncomfortable with yaoi I wouldn't recommend it.
    Unless you're me, and are friends with her co-panelist, in which case you have no choice.
    Squee! You're coming too! How did she talk you into it! I'm still surprised I got my BF to go to the one at Katsucon.
  • How did she talk you into it!
    You say "talk us into it" as if we were presented with a choice. :P
    Squee!
    Someone really needs to do a panel about the works of Jhonen Vasquez, cause that would rock the house!!
  • The schedule is live now. They've done a cool thing, and they made an interactive schedule that will update live. That means you can go to the site during the con to see the latest changes. You can also click on any event on the schedule to see the description.

They've also done two bad things. One is that this interactive schedule is pretty much impossible to print properly. Even with a fancy schedule, we still need a PDF! Get on it!

Also, whoever entered the panel descriptions obviously didn't read what we e-mailed them. This is a recurring problem we have with conventions. They just copy and paste paragraphs from the e-mails we send directly into their con books and schedules without reading them. The result is that paragraphs of text that are directed from us towards the panels staff of the convention are used as the panel description. The paragraph of text that is actually supposed to be the panel description gets lost. If the wrong thing ends up in the printed con book, we are going to give them such shit.
  • If the wrong thing ends up in the printed con book, we are going to give them such shit.
    Connecticon still has the prize for this. One of our panels one year basically said "This is a new panel for us, and we can run this either of two ways... Let me know what you think, and we'll provide the appropriate panel description."
  • edited July 2009
    Also, whoever entered the panel descriptions obviously didn't read what we e-mailed them. This is a recurring problem we have with conventions. They just copy and paste paragraphs from the e-mails we send directly into their con books and schedules without reading them. The result is that paragraphs of text that are directed from us towards the panels staff of the convention are used as the panel description. The paragraph of text that is actually supposed to be the panel description gets lost. If the wrong thing ends up in the printed con book, we are going to give them such shit.
    I always think that would happen so I write a panel description that can double as both an explanation to panel ops and a con goer.

Also, EVERYONE is talking about the lack of printing. A box of pocky says it's going to be fixed today.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Otakon 2009 Panel Descriptions

The descriptions for AYSS and KYC can pass for panel descriptions. However, it is painfully obvious that the language we are using is to sell our panel to the panels staff. We would use much different language to sell the panel to the con-goers. The D+D panel is the worst offender. "Either of the above titles works."

Anime You Should See
    This is a frank, entertaining presentation and discussion of the "core" anime that any self-describing anime fan should have seen at least once. Presented in the "TED" style much like our Beyond Dungeons and Dragons event, it's snappy, focused, and runs up to 55 minutes. Fans will leave with a handout noting all of the anime we discuss with a not-so-subtle "checklist" attached.

Know Your Creators
    This is a simple lecture which will take the audience through the major creators (directors, character designers, composers, etc...) in the anime industry, beginning with Osamu Tezuka. Filled with anecdotes about both their lives and their work, it's a lively and entertaining event that will hopefully leave the audience at least somewhat edified.

Beyond D+D
    This is a slick, professional lecture on the nature of role playing games, with a focus on the idea that the systems most people use (D&D or, more appropriately for Otakon, BESM) in no way facilitate by nature good or enjoyable role playing: the game and the roles are not intrinsically intertwined. Either of the above titles works.
  • Did you use the site form to submit? Maybe there should be a type box for explanation only for panel ops instead of just using the panel description box.
  • Wow, Anime You Should See is at the same time as the Kanon Wakeshima concert...She's the only music besides VAMPS that looks any good...
    I've already seen a few shows you'll talk about, like Escaflowne, and I know that I need to watch Cowboy Bebop and Trigun...Should I go see you guys, or the concert? Not that you'll be biased towards yourselves or anything.
    Also, with an official schedule out, what's the plan for an official Front Row Crew meetup that you mentioned in the podcast?
  • edited July 2009
    Wow, Anime You Should See is at the same time as the Kanon Wakeshima concert...She's the only music besides VAMPS that looks any good...
    I've already seen a few shows you'll talk about, like Escaflowne, and I know that I need to watch Cowboy Bebop and Trigun...Should I go see you guys, or the concert? Not that you'll be biased towards yourselves or anything.
    Also, with an official schedule out, what's the plan for an official Front Row Crew meetup that you mentioned in the podcast?
    I would see the concert, you can listen to them banter about AIYSS anytime and plus you can pretty much just read the slides that are already available.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Wow, Anime You Should See is at the same time as the Kanon Wakeshima concert...She's the only music besides VAMPS that looks any good...
    I would see the concert, you can listen to them banter about AIYS anytime and plus you can pretty much just read the slides that are already available.
    Good point. The concert it is.
    I would see the concert, you can listen to them banter about AIYS anytime and plus you can pretty much just read the slides that are already available.
    Good point. The concert it is.
    Seconded
  • Also, whoever entered the panel descriptions obviously didn't read what we e-mailed them. This is a recurring problem we have with conventions. They just copy and paste paragraphs from the e-mails we send directly into their con books and schedules without reading them. The result is that paragraphs of text that are directed from us towards the panels staff of the convention are used as the panel description. The paragraph of text that is actually supposed to be the panel description gets lost. If the wrong thing ends up in the printed con book, we are going to give them such shit.
    I always think that would happen so I write a panel description that can double as both an explanation to panel ops and a con goer.

Also, EVERYONE is talking about the lack of printing. A box of pocky says it's going to be fixed today.
    I seriously don't understand this, I mean why can't they just read the stuff you send them. What have they got to do that is ore important than reading information that can improve their con in ways that would blow peoples' minds and make their con experiences more enjoyable overall?
  • GeoGeo
    edited July 2009
    Okay, here is a preliminary checklist of which people will be at Otakon.

Viga
    Axel-of-the-Key
    Neito
    ayameiris
    Li_Akihi
    Yosho Katana - Might or might not be
    Kiey
    Not Alex
    A good majority of the FRC (Rym, Scott, Emily, Pete, etc)

Am I missing anybody?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Looking at the schedule there is only one panel I plan to see, which is the For Tax Reasons animation panel. I'll probably just catch Rym & Scott's panels at Connecticon instead.
  • We should set up our meet up.