This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Otakon 2010

Comments

• edited July 2009
    Okay, here is a preliminary checklist of which people will be at Otakon.

Viga
    Axel-of-the-Key
    Neito
    ayameiris
    Li_Akahi
    Yosho Katana - Might or might not be
    Kiey
    Not Alex
    A good majority of the FRC (Rym, Scott, Emily, Pete, etc)

Am I missing anybody?
    Anrild (who is now mostly lurking) will be there on Saturday.
    We should set up our meet up.
    We should also trade phone numbers (via whispering) as so we can reach people for other hanging out times during the con.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • We should set up our meet up.
    Do you have any ideas Viga? I've never been to Otakon before so it'll all be a new experience for me. I was thinking of getting a name tag with my handle on it, but your idea sounds a lot better.
    Do you have any ideas Viga? I've never been to Otakon before so it'll all be a new experience for me. I was thinking of getting a name tag with my handle on it, but your idea sounds a lot better.
    If we were to have a Geeknights Meet-Up, it would have to be some place that no one really goes to for the majority of the con. I was thinking the third floor of the main building (the floor where the Con Feedback panel and the Cosplay Photo Shoot room). Anyone have any other ideas?
    If we were to have a Geeknights Meet-Up, it would have to be some place that no one really goes to for the majority of the con. I was thinking the third floor of the main building (the floor where the Con Feedback panel and the Cosplay Photo Shoot room). Anyone have any other ideas?
    Edgar Allan Poe's grave. Seriously. It's just up the street.

If you don't like that idea, maybe you could go to the Geppi Museum, which is full of geeky pop culture artifacts. That is literally right across the street from the Convention Center.

If you don't like that idea, maybe you could go to the Geppi Museum, which is full of geeky pop culture artifacts. That is literally right across the street from the Convention Center.
    Any of those are fine with me. I would like to have it on Saturday so I can be in my Ness costume. Although if you want to have it another day, I could just wear my Boota hat that day. Provided some of you have seen Gurren Lagann, you'd catch the reference. But I figure more people will recognize Ness.

That would be closer, but Poe's grave would be much more epic. If Poe is the choice, someone has to bring a battle of cognac as per the tradition of going to Poe's grave.
  • I say we should vote on a day. I think Sat is best. Poe's grave sounds too epic for words. I hope you don't mind walking with a gothloli.

My idea was for us all to grab a bite somewhere that's not too crowded, but in retrospect that seems impossible. One tip for any of us meeting up in the BCC. NEVER choose the lobby. NEVER!
  • I hope you don't mind walking with a gothloli.
    Perfect for the occasion!
  • edited July 2009
    Directions to Poe's grave (Basically for anyone at the Convention Center, just walk up Howard, then turn left on Fayette)

Poe House & Museum (close to grave) + street map
    My idea was for us all to grab a bite somewhere that's not too crowded, but in retrospect that seems impossible.
    It might just depend on how far away you're willing to walk. O'Shea's Pub is great, has a large interior space, and is usually not crowded on weekends during the day. It's just far enough off the beaten path (but not too far away - about a half mile) that other convention goers might not be there.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Alright, that sounds like a good plan. I don't mind walking with a gothloli so long as none of you mind walking with a Conservative Christian punk kid. Just don't talk to me about religion or politics and we'll get along great.
    I vote Saturday, perhaps from 6 to 7 PM or so? Unless you wanted dinner in that range, and we could do 5 to 6. Or whenever you guys wanted. I have some panels I want to go to, but I can blow a few off.
  • So, punk or Punk? SLC Punk?
  • edited July 2009
    Alright, that sounds like a good plan. I don't mind walking with a gothloli so long as none of you mind walking with a Conservative Christian punk kid. Just don't talk to me about religion or politics and we'll get along great.
    I vote Saturday, perhaps from 6 to 7 PM or so? Unless you wanted dinner in that range, and we could do 5 to 6. Or whenever you guys wanted. I have some panels I want to go to, but I can blow a few off.
    The Cemetery closes at dusk.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Alright, that sounds like a good plan. I don't mind walking with a gothloli so long as none of you mind walking with a Conservative Christian punk kid. Just don't talk to me about religion or politics and we'll get along great.
    The Cemetery closes at dusk.
    Hmm..Earlier then? I can make time then too...
    So, punk or Punk? SLC Punk?
    No, no, not that kind of punk. I mean, I'm a punk kid, as Scott has already called me. I'm young and don't know the ways of the world.
    Also, I will be cosplaying as Ness on Saturday, as aforementioned. So, if that bothers you, which it shouldn't, be forewarned.
  • An old guy, an artsy girl, a goth loli and Ness. We are forming quite team! :P
  • An old guy, an artsy girl, a goth loli and Ness. We are forming quite team! :P
    Yeppers. The makings of a great RPG party.
    *Goes and writes fanfic.*
    You forgot me! I probably won't be going in costume (my shield is far too unwieldy) but I will definitely be attending!
    You forgot me! I probably won't be going in costume (my shield is far too unwieldy) but I will definitely be attending!
    Okay, add a so-called Link to the party. I'm not sure what purpose you fulfill, though...
    Just kidding.
  • Anrild (who is now mostly lurking) will be there on Saturday.
    ..Jerk. Doesn't mean I can't speak up for myself.

Anyway, I'm going as a not-so-flashy version of Card Captor Sakura. If anyone remembers the green and yellow outfit Sakura wears in the first movie while she's walking around Hong Kong, that's the one I'm making. I'm debating about whether or not to tote my wand... because while it's awesome and would increase my recognizably a LOT, I'm not sure if it would end up being too much to carry or not. It wasn't a problem at Animazement with my other Sakura costume, but that con is much smaller and I was distracted by the fact that people kept running into my wings.
    In any case, if I don't have my wand, I'll be pretty easy to recognize by my big red heart-shaped backpack with wings on it.
    Don't forget the film student!
  • With Link and the film student we have created a sentai team of...stuff?

I hope none of this conflict with my panels. TT_TT
    Viga you made me LOL with this comment.

We are TEAM...RANDOM STUFF!

-random smoke bombs go off in various colors along with a ringing hollow echo-
  • Okay, here is a preliminary checklist of which people will be at Otakon.
    [List Snipped]
    Am I missing anybody?
    My son and I will be there for at least some of the con.
  • edited July 2009
    With Link and the film student we have created a sentai team of...stuff?

Let's figure out our call formation!
    With the power of a thousand bats...Ranger Axel!
    With the power of endless knowledge and experience...Ranger Joe!
    With the power of the darkest fashion sense...Ranger Viga!
    With the power of...The Master Sword...Ranger Akahi!
    With the power of a pencil and sketchpad...Ranger Gomidog!
    With the power of movies and plotlines...Ranger Yupa!
    With our powers combined, we Are Team Random Stuff! The random is yours!

Okay, I stole that last part from Captain Planet. But the rest could totally be Sentai.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • GeoGeo
    edited July 2009
    With Link and the film student we have created a sentai team of...stuff?

With our powers combined, we Are Team Random Stuff! The cabbage is MAROON!!!!!!!
    Okay, I stole that last part from Captain Planet. But the rest could totally be Sentai.
    The last phrase should go a-like-a that!! It's random AND funny!!!!
    Post edited by Geo on

With the power of fake Clow Cards in a plastic book... Ranger Anrild?

With the power of fake Clow Cards in a plastic book... Ranger Anrild?

Works for me.
  • Non-sequitur humor never really appealed to me.
  • I love that I have the power of darkest fashion sense.
    Non-sequitur humor never really appealed to me.
    Depends on the moment. All the time is overkill. The spontaneous non sequitur every now and then is great.
  • I love that I have the power of darkest fashion sense.
    Non-sequitur humor never really appealed to me.
    Depends on the moment. All the time is overkill. The spontaneous non sequitur every now and then is great.
    I think it's great all the time. But then again, that may just be because that's all a lot of the people I know can do. They only understand the art of the random, and nothing else.