This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Otakon 2010

Comments

• edited July 2009
    I had a great time at Otakon! n__n Sadly I missed a couple panels that I had wanted to go to, but overall it was a lot of fun!

Sort of went all out with the cosplay this year. If you went to Scrym's "Covering the Basics" panel, you would've seen me. I was Chii! I intended to go to the "Beyond D&D" panel but I ended up passing out at my hotel room. Pictures make you tired. ;___;

Wish I could have met up with everyone! I wanted to go to the group meet-up, but then I forgot what time it was/had no clue where Poe's grave was, and couldn't get on the interwebz (thank you Hilton, $1 per minute). I do believe I saw a couple of people from the forum though!

Any fun con stories anyone wants to share? I had a couple people propose to me and a hobo told me he "would treat me right". Then he proceeded to ask for a dollar.

Oh! And Viga, I had really wanted to go to your Yaoi panel, I heard it was hilarious! Sadly I'm not 18. :( There's always next year though!
    Post edited by bunnikun on
  • If you went to Scrym's "Covering the Basics" panel, you would've seen me. I was Chii!
    That was you? I was the guy dressed as Link (sans sword and shield at that time)! Your costume was beautiful!
  • edited July 2009
    If you went to Scrym's "Covering the Basics" panel, you would've seen me. I was Chii!
    That was you? I was the guy dressed as Link (sans sword and shield at that time)! Your costume was beautiful!
    Ahh! Playing with the tri-force! :) Thank you! Yours was great too! I've always had a weakness for any Zelda cosplays, seeing as OoT will always have a sentimental place in my heart.
    Post edited by bunnikun on
  • I am actually embarking on a massive overhaul of the costume for next year, so it should (theoretically) be much better. I will also (hopefully) have a Dark Link and Possessed Zelda in my group.
  • I really enjoyed Otakon and meeting everyone! Everyone was really friendly and that makes me more comfortable talking and posting here, hahaha.
    Also, I'm sorry if I was in any way rude or ramble-y or obnoxious due to my lack of sleep.
    I had a GREAT time, vomit-flavored cream cheese incident non-withstanding. I once again apologize to anyone who got mixed up in that.
  • vomit-flavored cream cheese incident non-withstanding. I once again apologize to anyone who got mixed up in that.
    Um.....am I missing something here? When did this happen, please tell me?
  • vomit-flavored cream cheese incident non-withstanding. I once again apologize to anyone who got mixed up in that.
    Um.....am I missing something here? When did this happen, please tell me?
    This was when I went to go get a bite to eat with a few of the other forum guys. They ended up mixing up my order at Einstein Bro's and I got a bagel with cream cheese that tasted like (not making this up) a combination of jalapenos, tuna, and pimento cheese. The cream cheese oozed out of the bagel and all down my front and I ended up having to borrow a shirt because the cream cheese smelled so bad it was making me physically sick.
  • Salmon cream cheese? Well salmon is sometimes put on bagels. I wish I was there. I'd eat it! YUM!
  • I don't know. It might have been salmon, but whatever it was, I didn't like it and I couldn't handle the smell. My nose is waaaay too sensitive for that kind of thing. I would have gladly given you the rest of it if I'd known you'd eat it/if you were there at the time.
    On a related note, does anyone know the best way to get a tie clean?
  • I had a great time at Otakon, and I spent most of it at my friend's booth in the dealer's room. Aside from that I spent some time in the dealer's room, but even though I didn't go to any panels or whatnot it was perhaps the best time I've had at an Otakon.
  • I loved Otakon dearly. Got so much great stuff. Unfortunately, drama with a friend's ride home took away almost my whole Sunday, so I still need to have another real Otakon. I got tons of swag, art, and fun panels. I had tons of fun hanging out with the Second Row Crew on Friday and Saturday! You guys are the best, seriously. All of you.
  • Most likely at the next Otakon I, Matthew John Linus (Linus was my confirmation name before I severed ties with religion) "LordYupa" Geoffino, will for the first time after years of naysaying and dismissing all kinds of cosplay (I never did it to you Li because yours was really the only one that ever impressed me) will finally cosplay. I won't tell you what it is from and what it will be but I will leave you with one word that will hint to what it will be: droog.
  • I met up with Rym, Scott, and Emily at one of their panels and they were some of the coolest people ever and I was proud to find that we were on the same wavelength. In fact they invited me to come to dinner with them which I immediately accepted. But.......the place they went to was for people 21 and older, so that was nixed. But we all saw an ultraviolent movie later that night so it was all good. Scott really didn't talk to me that much, except for a few times, Rym and Emily however were very receptive and friendly. Can't wait to meet them again at Connecticon in a few weeks.
    Nice! I was one of the other people that tagged along for dinner after the Beyond Dungeons and Dragons panel, we spent some time talking. I had the blue hoodie and the buddhist prayer beads on, I think. You didn't miss much for dinner, we couldn't go to the over-21 place anyways through a combination of 'people are jerks and wouldn't let Katsu in with his bag', and 'place turned out to be closed anyways.'

Much hemming and hawing convinced, and we finally went out for sushi.

I had a big stack of fun at Otakon, with my personal highlights probably being the rave Friday night (though it seems like I should have gone Saturday as well, from what I heard), and Beyond DnD+going out to dinner with Rym and Scott and crew afterwards. I sort of lost track of everybody after the movie started. I wandered for a bit and went to a panel I didn't enjoy because I'd heard there was a line for the Saturday rave. Then I caught the last 15 minutes of el Rave, and regretted it.

Have fun at Connecticon, Yupa. I won't be able to make it, I've got way too much summer school and far too little cash this summer.
  • Man, Otakon sounds awesome. I think I might like to go one of these days. Not being a huge anime fan, I don't know how into it I'd be, but it sounds like a good environment. Better than comic cons, anyway. I'd also love to meet some of the forumites one of these days.

What kind of artists are in the artist's alley? At comic cons it's a bunch of comic book artists, but obviously at an anime con, most of the big-name artists aren't going to be there. Is it a lot of fanart? OEL manga people? Webcomickers? Random deviantart people? And speaking of which, for those familiar with my work, how do you think it would go over at an anime con? My style is pretty far from anime/manga, obviously. But I do remember an episode of Fast Karate where Dave said that Skabs did quite well at an anime con because "he was the only one who'd bothered to develop a unique style". I don't know.
  • I plan to go to Otakon next year and possibly have a table in Artist's Alley to sell cross-stitch bookmarks and key chains. This is just an idea for now, but it would be nice if this did happen. We'll see how things go next year.
  • I plan to go to Otakon next year and possibly have a table in Artist's Alley to sell cross-stitch bookmarks and key chains. This is just an idea for now, but it would be nice if this did happen. We'll see how things go next year.
    Your items would make bank. Make enough, and you could probably pay for all the travel expenses and make a nice profit.
  • edited July 2009
    Oh mans, Ro, you would bankrupt us all if you had an artist alley table. We couldn't help but buy the cuteness.
    Is it a lot of fanart? OEL manga people? Webcomickers? Random deviantart people? And speaking of which, for those familiar with my work, how do you think it would go over at an anime con? My style is pretty far from anime/manga, obviously. But I do remember an episode of Fast Karate where Dave said thatSkabsdid quite well at an anime con because "he was the only one who'd bothered to develop a unique style". I don't know.
    Basically, artist alley is huge, but most people are selling fanart illustrations of Japanese characters. There are a lot of indie creators, however, and there is more overlap than you might think. People like you would do pretty well, especially if you were selling an actual story as opposed to just prints. Webcomics, people who work at marvel and want to promote their own stuff...lots of different people sell there.
    I've decided to stop calling OEL manga "manga" and anything in that nebulous zone is just going to be comics. Why not? I love comics! Besides, I want to promote desegregation between "manga" and "american comics." (Like Scott Pilgrim) From now on, I'm just going to call these things comic books or graphic novels. The things that I will call manga will be the comics that I buy from Kinokuniya that are from Japan, or these same comics translated.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Everyone be sure to go to the Otakon 2009 Feedback Thread in the Otakon forums. You will find a post by Daryl Surat talking about the fiasco of the craziest deaths panel and the uber-fail pocket guide. You will also find me giving an Otakon staffer a reaming for disrespecting the gofers. Give us your support, and also post whatever else you have to say.
  • Everyone be sure to go to theOtakon 2009 Feedback Threadin the Otakon forums. You will find a post by Daryl Surat talking about the fiasco of the craziest deaths panel and the uber-fail pocket guide. You will also find me giving an Otakon staffer a reaming for disrespecting the gofers. Give us your support, and also post whatever else you have to say.
    Yeah, I was at the craziest deaths panel and was kinda pissed off. That was pretty screwed up. It just shows that Otakon sucks at pre-screening its panels, and if it thought that material was 18+ only, it should have figured out before hand and changed it.
  • Yeah, I was at the craziest deaths panel and was kinda pissed off. That was pretty screwed up. It just shows that Otakon sucks at pre-screening its panels, and if it thought that material was 18+ only, it should have figured out before hand and changed it.
    Personally I want to know if there was a 18+ box that was not checked when that panel was submitted.
  • Yeah, I was at the craziest deaths panel and was kinda pissed off. That was pretty screwed up. It just shows that Otakon sucks at pre-screening its panels, and if it thought that material was 18+ only, it should have figured out before hand and changed it.
    Personally I want to know if there was a 18+ box that was not checked when that panel was submitted.
    I read his post, and that's what he said, because he didn't believe R-rated material necessarily meant 18+. He assumed it meant no hentai.
    However, he did put, in a special needs box, that there was extreme violence and gore and the possibility of nudity, but no sex. So, basically, the person who accepted his panel didn't read and just blindly said yes. Again, Otakon needs to pay more attention.
    Also, Scott, what you said about gofers was absolutely true, just like in your episode about improving conventions. That treatment towards gofers is ridiculous, and unbelievable.
  • Have they closed registration or something? I haven't gotten my email. D:
  • Registration for what? I'm confused.
  • edited July 2009
    Yeah, I was at the craziest deaths panel and was kinda pissed off. That was pretty screwed up. It just shows that Otakon sucks at pre-screening its panels, and if it thought that material was 18+ only, it should have figured out before hand and changed it.
    I read his post, and that's what he said, because he didn't believe R-rated material necessarily meant 18+. He assumed it meant no hentai.
    However, he did put, in a special needs box, that there was extreme violence and gore and the possibility of nudity, but no sex. So, basically, the person who accepted his panel didn't read and just blindly said yes. Again, Otakon needs to pay more attention.
    Also, Scott, what you said about gofers was absolutely true, just like in your episode about improving conventions. That treatment towards gofers is ridiculous, and unbelievable.
    So Otakon should have reviewed it better. Personally I find them both in the at fault. If I was running that panel I would have checked 18+ just to avoid any conflict.

And the panel ops people are being pretty cool about it saying he's more than welcome to do it next year as an 18+. Really I don't think there's any issues here. There was disagreement and miscommunication, but otakon did what it did to protect itself legally and as far as I can tell harbors no ill will toward Daryl Sarat and the panel itself. The only way this could have been done better is if they found him an open panel room to do it Saturday night as an 18+.
    Post edited by George Patches on
    So Otakon should have reviewed it better. Personally I find them both in the at fault. If I was running that panel I would have checked 18+ just to avoid any conflict.
    I do agree with you there. I personally thought the material should have been 18+, but I just feel its ridiculous that it could get past them without them noticing. I mean, if this panel wasn't pre-screened, imagine what other things could be pulled off at a panel? The staff needs to do a better job.
    The forums.
    The forums.
    Right, yeah. I think it took a few days for me. A moderator actually has to review each registration, like on these forums. It would be okay, if they didn't have many times more people than these forums.
  • I do agree with you there. I personally thought the material should have been 18+, but I just feel its ridiculous that it could get past them without them noticing. I mean, if this panel wasn't pre-screened, imagine what other things could be pulled off at a panel? The staff needs to do a better job.
    Actually, the Philosophy of Bleach panel ended up being a secret 4chan panel.

But you can't blame the staff for not doing a good job. They can't screen every panel's content, and even if they did, the panelists could change it last minute.
  • edited July 2009
    (Also, can someone list Daryl's username in the thread?) Found it.
    Post edited by Alex Leavitt on
  • I do agree with you there. I personally thought the material should have been 18+, but I just feel its ridiculous that it could get past them without them noticing. I mean, if this panel wasn't pre-screened, imagine what other things could be pulled off at a panel? The staff needs to do a better job.
    Actually, the Philosophy of Bleach panel ended up being a secret 4chan panel.

But you can't blame the staff for not doing a good job. They can't screen every panel's content, and even if they did, the panelists could change it last minute.
    Yeah. Even though it would be inconvenient for the people putting on the panel, they should pre-submit their panel information and the con should use what's sent to them. Then they can check it over before putting it up and make sure it's appropriate. But, the deadline for sending in your panel information could be later than sending in your idea for a panel. Like, you need to give them your panel once it's been accepted, and you have up until a week or two before the convention.
    Also, I heard the problem with the Bleach panel, I just didn't know specifically what it was. A 4chan panel, really? Was it just a bunch of memes or something?