This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Storm collision

edited July 2006 in Everything Else
Wow, that was a close one.

I was almost hoping they would actually collide. That would doubtless be some crazy shit.

Aah, APOD what would we do without you?

Comments

• I don't think those storms had a good chance of colliding. Do you understand how big Jupiter is? Those storms are actually crazy far apart, even though they are relatively close.

/IANAA (I am not an astronomer)
  • Those storms were are roughly 1/4 the diameter of the earth apart (approx. 3,189Km).
  • Well it's not like it's going to be the apocalypse.
  • It would be a pretty titanic event, though, if they were to collide. If I remember correctly, I think the great red spot is something like 3 times the diameter of Earth. Remember when Shoemaker-Levy hit? That put a pretty big dent in Jupiter. With the sizes and speeds associated with space, pretty much ANY event is a big one.
  • I watched the end of The Day After Tomorrow the other day (it was shit). It was all high drama "oh my God North America and Europe are destroyed" "oh my God civilization is at an end" "arghhh". I asked my friends who had seen it before what was happening to the Southern Hemisphere and they said nothing, which firstly doesn't make sense (I'm not a climatologist but if fuckloads of bad weather shit was happening up the top of the world you'd think that maybe there would be something happening in the bottom half as well even if the equator was fine), secondly, civilization is at and end because the Northern Hemisphere is destroyed? Fuck you arrogant Hollywood movie makers.
  • edited July 2006
    "Crazy far apart" is of course an extremely relative phrase. So they were 1/4 Earths diameter apart... Do you realize how fucking huge the entire planet is? 1/4 Earth diameter is shit compared to the surface of those storms let alone the planet as a whole. All you have to do is look at the picture... Those two storms are really really damn close to each other relative to the rest of the sphere and the power behind them.

I guess we're saying the same thing, essentially, though from different perspectives....

I see them as being damned close regarding their power and speed... You see them as being very far apart regarding the overall size of the failed star we call a planet...
    Post edited by Nazhuret on
  • Jupiter's diameter = 13 times Earth's diameter. In other words...FRIGGING HUGE!
  • edited July 2006
    Well considering that if we have a planet that big one side of the earth (In my half cooked theorem) would be way colder and the other would be way hotter....I said I like the size of our planet.
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • I watched the end of The Day After Tomorrow the other day (it was shit). It was all high drama "oh my God North America and Europe are destroyed" "oh my God civilization is at an end" "arghhh". I asked my friends who had seen it before what was happening to the Southern Hemisphere and they said nothing, which firstly doesn't make sense (I'm not a climatologist but if fuckloads of bad weather shit was happening up the top of the world you'd think that maybe there would be something happening in the bottom half as well even if the equator was fine), secondly, civilization is at and end because the Northern Hemisphere is destroyed? Fuck you arrogant Hollywood movie makers.
    And you're all like: "WTF, Mate?" ~_^
  • Actually I went, "So we're OK? Then I no longer care." Then I wondered if my father would have died, but then I remembered that he lives in San Diego and would have just run over the border.
  • End of the world reference. Shouldn't assume everyone here's seen everything I have... Link!
  • I enjoy being on the inside of an inside joke. I laughed for about 5 minutes when I read that comment.

Alaska can come too.