This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Point and Click Adventures games, war stories involving them, and more

GeoGeo
edited February 2009 in Everything Else
This is a self-explanatory thread. If you were awesome and played point and click adventure games back in the day or play newer ones like Sam & Max or Broken Sword, muse about your experiences and talk about which ones you liked the most.

I'm just gonna come right out with it, Sierra Point and Click adventure always come out on top because they are meticulously made and well written. With titles like King's Quest (my favorite out of the "Quest" series), Space Quest, Police Quest, and Quest for Glory they have every right to become the best.
Anyway, here are my favorite point and click games in no particular...

King's Quest I (I don't care what you say Rym, fuck you)
King's Quest II (however I think the very recent remake is superior)
King's Quest III (it infuriated me to no end at first but it was extremely satisfying once I beat it)
King's Quest IV (I like how I could play as Rosella)
Don't even ask me about KQV because I never played it again because of that fucking owl
King's Quest VI (Best game in the series)
Quest for Glory I (Interesting game, but a little too much of Final Fantasy for me)
Everything in the Sam & Max series
The Space Quest series (Do I even need to explain why?)
LOOM (Still one of the most creative point and click games I've ever played and I am so sad they never completed the trilogy)
Monkey Island series (except the last one)
Police Quest (Interesting series but didn't do it for me because of the goddamn driving scenes)

That's all I've got right now. So come on and share with us some war stories.

Comments

• Fun Fact: As far as I know, Loom was the first ever game on CD-ROM.
    That's right! Loom was (and still is in most cases) the shit!
  • edited February 2009
    I'll just add a few titles to the list for now

Manic Mansion Day of the Tentacle
    Beneath a Steel Sky
    Post edited by Irascible on
  • Zork
    That was a text adventure, not point and click. I remember in Zork, half of the time I would just type horrible things into it to see what would happen. Like "Rape the troll" and it would always say something like "ahem, that's a strange idea."
  • edited February 2009
    Zork
    That was a text adventure, not point and click. I remember in Zork, half of the time I would just type horrible things into it to see what would happen. Like "Rape the troll" and it would always say something like "ahem, that's a strange idea."
    Fixed, but Zork was still fun, even if only for the odd messages the game would give you when you did something weird
    Post edited by Irascible on
    I always thought it was Myst.
    At least LOOM had value, Myst was just a terrible, terrible puzzle game.
    It was not. You take that back. I have fond memories of Myst, so it must be awesome. :P
  • GeoGeo
    edited March 2009
    Fun Fact: As far as I know, Loom was the first ever game on CD-ROM.
    It was not. You take that back. I have fond memories of Myst, so it must be awesome. :P
    I've got quite a few people backing me up on that, including Scrym.
    EDIT: Also Scott had fond memories of He-Man, until he was proven wrong later as an adult. But I will admit that Myst had a lush environment, but that's all you're getting out of me on that issue.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Myst wasn't about the puzzles. It was about atmosphere.
  • According to Wikipedia, the release of Loom on CD-ROM was 1991. Myst came out in 1993.
  • Myst wasn't about the puzzles. It was about atmosphere.
    And pretty, pretty pictures.
  • Manic Mansion Day of the Tentacle
    I so love Manic Mansion.
  • i guess I would have to say that King's Quest VI was the best of all Point and Click I've ever played and the one I have the most memories for. For instance, when I was climbing this gigantic cliff called the Cliffs of Logic, I had to solve these puzzles that required the guidebook to complete. It wasn't until later I learned that that was just a form of copyright protection. My friend easily solved it because he had the game too and his dad was a genius at this kinda stuff. I used to tear my hair out at that part.