This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What's going on with my computer? (The computer help thread)

Comments

• Now for two stupid questions:

3) Always use encryption when necessary.
    What does that mean? :B
    6) Don't download any e-mail attachment EVER.
    Does that include attachments I send myself from work?
  • So, on this new laptop, I don't have any form of MS Office, but I'll need it for school. I can get the Enterprise edition for about $45 from our student Webstore, but I'm curious as to whether OpenOffice is a better choice (I'd like to save the money). Anyone have any experience there?
  • Can someone explain to me which NAT router to buy and how to set it up properly in layman's terms? I really want to figure this stuff out, but I'll be looking on Google, too.
  • edited September 2009
    I would recommend Netgear WGT624 for Wireless-G.

On the linksys side I would go for Linksys WRT54GL for Wireless-G.

Both are rather easy to setup. If you go linksys you can also install dd-wrt firmware for that router to give you more functionality. If you just want something simple I would go for the netgear. I use them at work and no issues with that router so far.
    Post edited by Alan on
  • edited September 2009
    Now for two stupid questions:

3) Always use encryption when necessary.
    What does that mean? :B
    Does that include attachments I send myself from work?
    Using encryption when necessary means that whenever you login to anything on the Internet, make sure there is encryption. Most of the time this means checking to make sure the security lock icon has appeared in your web browser. If the browser complains about certificates, and that sort of thing, do not log in. Just run away.

As for e-mail attachments you send yourself from work, they are safe. However, instead of using e-mail, just get a USB stick to do that instead. If you need a USB stick, I can give you one.
    Can someone explain to me which NAT router to buy and how to set it up properly in layman's terms? I really want to figure this stuff out, but I'll be looking on Google, too.
    Get a Linksys WRT54G. It comes with brain dead instructions. All you have to do is plug one end into the cable/dsl modem. Then plug all of your computers into the router. If your computers are wireless, connect them to the router wirelessly. Make sure you secure the router. The routers should use the correct wireless encryption by default. Just to make sure, you should be using WPA encryption with AES (not TKIP).
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Awesome, I'm going to get the Linux compatible one too because I will be using both Windows and Linux. I'm listening to the old NAT Geeknights episode right now, too.
  • Awesome, I'm going to get the Linux compatible one too because I will be using both Windows and Linux. I'm listening to the old NAT Geeknights episode right now, too.
    Uh, it's impossible to get a router that isn't Linux compatible. Networking is platform independent.
    Uh, it's impossible to get a router that isn't Linux compatible. Networking is platform independent.
    I realize that, but what is the difference between that and the others? As far as I've read there is a firmware difference or something.
  • I've sorta got a problem already. Both times I've had itunes playing on this computer for more than 10 minutes, the speakers have gone wrong. A rumbling sound accompanies any audio output from the speakers, no matter how loud or soft the volume is. I've had videos playing on this computer for 20 minutes or more, and that hasn't happened. Yet when the rumbling sound appears with use of itunes, it doesn't go away even after itunes is turned off. I can only get it to stop by restarting. I definitely haven't mishandled or roughhoused this laptop at all yet, and I haven't abused the volume either. The computer is an Acer Aspire 6920-6898 laptop. Any idea what could be causing this?
  • - CCleaner
    - Defrag as often as possible
    - Customise power settings to your specific needs
    While these things are helpful for keeping your computer in good shape, they have absolutely nothing to do with keeping them virus and spyware free, which is what your post made it sound like.
    Meh...seriously, gmail does a good job telling you what kinds of attachments you're getting. If it's a picture from a trusted friend or family member that is really no big deal. But gmails "view now" thing helps, which prevents you from actually having to download a lot of attachments.

Also, your points are pretty valid about an antivirus program, but I still think the immunization shit that Spybot offers is pretty good.
  • As for 7, if you need to, install a virtualizer. GiveSandboxiea try. It's also useful for checking out potentially dangerous sites.
    Damn, a 64-bit version isn't possible. Maybe it's just me, but encountering "features" like these makes me regret "upgrading" to 64-bit.
  • If it's a picture from a trusted friend or family member
    You would not belive the dodgy emails I get from assorted members of my family
  • If it's a picture from a trusted friend or family member
    You would not belive the dodgy emails I get from assorted members of my family
    QFT.
  • Ok true but again GMail lets you preview photos and shit. I figure that's pretty much harmless.

But I usually just delete chains that my family sends me.
  • I'm putting together a cheap media center PC for the living room, and I'm thinking about skipping the case and just putting the thing together on a piece of cardboard in one of the entertainment center's drawers. Is this a stupid idea?
  • I'm putting together a cheap media center PC for the living room, and I'm thinking about skipping the case and just putting the thing together on a piece of cardboard in one of the entertainment center's drawers. Is this a stupid idea?
    Yes, it is stupid. You should get a tiny PC for the media center. A Mac mini is a good choice. A more recent, possibly better, choice is the Fujitsu Esprimo q1500 Like a Mac mini without the Mac, plus Blu-Ray.
  • Is this a stupid idea?
    YES. A case costs nothing anyway, so why skip it?
  • edited September 2009
    A Mac mini is a good choice. A more recent, possibly better, choice is theFujitsu Esprimo q1500Like a Mac mini without the Mac, plus Blu-Ray.
    Those are far too expensive for me, for this.
    To avoid having one more thing on the shelves.

EDIT: More specifically, is there some reason that it wouldn't work, or that it would be harmful?
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • A Mac mini is a good choice. A more recent, possibly better, choice is theFujitsu Esprimo q1500Like a Mac mini without the Mac, plus Blu-Ray.
    Those are far too expensive for me, for this.

EDIT: More specifically, is there some reason that it wouldn't work, or that it would be harmful?
    I'm no expert, but it'd be difficult to maintain the parts temperatures, keep them from getting too dusty, etc...
    The cases protect the parts from the environment, which is highly damaging.

• EDIT: More specifically, is there some reason that it wouldn't work, or that it would be harmful?
    Putting it in a drawer is harmful because of heat issues. not putting it in a case makes it vulnerable to damage. Computer parts are fragile, and they need to be protected from dust, static electricity, electromagnetic interference, and other physical objects. Also, a case creates a tunnel of proper airflow. Even if your drawer is ventilated, it won't have the right flow. Also, a case keeps your computer quiet by keeping noise inside.

An Acrylic Cowboy is awesome for display, or testing. It's not something you should use for a long term period of time.
  • @Apreche -- Alright, awesome, thanks. I will not try it.
  • Scott already handled the important parts.
    Where were you going to put the parts? A case would take up less shelf-space and you could potentially put small things on top of it. Try to do that with spread out computer parts.
  • Where were you going to put the parts?
    Like I said -- in a drawer.
  • Like I said -- in a drawer.
    I somehow flunked that one. There's nothing preventing you from putting it, case and all, in a drawer (with the back tapped out).
  • There's nothing preventing you from putting it, case and all, in a drawer (with the back tapped out).
    It's a pretty small drawer. :) I'm just gonna stick it in an old case and find a place for it. This wasn't a big deal, I was just wondering if it was feasible.
  • For 100 Picarats:
    Two different monitors, two different graphics cards, yet still, the computer outputs no kind of video signal.
    I can hear the hard drive spin up and the heads move once but that is all.

I'm beginning to suspect a dead motherboard which, in this case (It's a special, small motherboard in an HP Pavilion Slimline.) is probably going to end up meaning a new computer.
  • I'm beginning to suspect a dead motherboard which
    Ditto.
    New computer or old one?
  • If you have one lying around, it might be worth to replace the power supply. The motherboard is more likely to be at fault, but it's still worth checking the cheaper option.
  • edited September 2009
    I found a picture of a similar system.
    That thing at the bottom is the PSU, I could try taking the computer all apart and hooking it up to another power supply, I suppose. In the meantime, I'm going to try using the POST (Power On Self Test.) card I got a while ago and see if that can tell me anything.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited September 2009
    Well, well, well.. I pull out the POST card and the error code I get is "FD" which I find, in the manual (Available here.), means "Program flash.". I think we may have the geek's worst nightmare, a bricked bios!

Is there any way I could flash or maybe even replace the bios chip?

Well, surprise, surprise, this is the motherboard I'm dealing with but, unlike the following picture, the bios is soldered onto the board..
    Post edited by Omnutia on