This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Will we every return to the olden days?

edited March 2009 in GeekNights
Now, This may have been addressed in the podcast at somepoint, But are we ever getting back to the 4 shows a week format? I just listened to the DDOS episode again and both Rym and Scott said that the 2 show a week format was going to be temporary, but how long has it been? The point of this reduction was to give Scrym some down time to rest and time to do side projects for geeknights, such as a store for merch, videos, and other things. Suffice to say is great, and I know the new website is almost ready, but what else? You guys always say tounge in cheek that you never commit to anything but, come on, it's been six months. If your jobs are taking your time, thats fine. Real world responsibilities take priority over half promises made on the show, but tell us something.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but will there ever be a return to the old schedual? A Geeknights state of the union would be great.

Comments

• will there ever be a return to the old schedual?
    As we've said many times:

If we hit 10,000 listeners, we'll go back to the old format ;^)
  • Fair enough, how many are there now?
  • Fair enough, how many are there now?
    Between 1 and 9,999. Giving an estimate can be kinda tough, as they've said in the show. If they've got a more approximate one though, I'm also curious.
  • Give it a few years and these will be the olden days and you will be lobbying for the old two-per-week format rather than the two-per-month format. ^_~
  • two-per-month format. ^_~
    That's a better rate than Anime World Order.
  • edited March 2009
    Are the shows of a higher quality now that they're twice a week? I wouldn't know, I don't listen to podcasts anymore.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • It's funny how many of the people on this forum don't seem to listen to geeknights anymore.
  • It's funny how many of the people on this forum don't seem to listen to geeknights anymore.
    Yeah, it is. I only pick and choose episodes based on topic. I end up listening to most Mondays and Thursdays, with a few Tuesdays and Wednesdays in there.
  • I've been listening to audiobooks instead of podcasts as of late.
  • If the podcast disappeared, the community would still thrive.
    Without a doubt. I honestly do not seeing our community ever dying in the foreseeable future.
  • I think the podcasts aren't necessarily better than they were before the switch, but they're more consistently good. They haven't had any really off days with the new format, and they always sound well prepared. They made episodes just as high quality with the old format, but it was easy to tell that it was wearing on them a bit, especially in the episodes around the change.
    Without a doubt. I honestly do not seeing our community ever dying in the foreseeable future.
    Now if I left, I'm sure this place would shrivel up within an hour.
  • Shouldn't you just want to do the show independent of listeners and do it because you want to do it? I think this is a sign of Scrym losing touch of their real goal here.
  • Shouldn't you just want to do the show independent of listeners and do it because you want to do it? I think this is a sign of Scrym losing touch of their real goal here.
    Nope, it's just an MMO to them. They're just leveling up. It's like their own version of WoW, but the goal is to get listeners instead of clicking on orcs to kill them.
    Nope, it's just an MMO to them. They're just leveling up. It's like their own version of WoW, but the goal is to get listeners instead of clicking on orcs to kill them.
    What a lucid analogy.
  • edited March 2009
    Shouldn't you just want to do the show independent of listeners and do it because you want to do it? I think this is a sign of Scrym losing touch of their real goal here.
    They mostly do it to feed their egos. That, and spreading lies and deceit.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited March 2009
    Shouldn't you just want to do the show independent of listeners and do it because you want to do it? I think this is a sign of Scrym losing touch of their real goal here.
    And what exactly do you think is their real goal for doing these podcasts?

Even though I do enjoy them doing 4 shows a week, I honestly don't mind them cutting down. It's seriously amazing that they are still doing it, but yes, it's because they like to stroke their egos.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I always thought they did the show because they could. The same way that you have hobbies, you just do them because you can.
  • They mostly do it to feed their egos.
    Yes. They want hordes of adoring fans. That's all they ever wanted.
  • My desire to do the podcast has little to do with how many people listen. I couldn't even tell you how many listeners there are because I never check, and the numbers on any sort of web traffic are horrendously imprecise.

However, if I did find out we had 10,000 actual listeners, then according to the 10% rule we would have 1000 true fans. If I had 1000 true fans, it would mean that quitting my job and concentrating entirely on the podcast would be a much safer bet than it is now. Thus, you would see the return of 4 episodes per week, and much more.

As it is, we have been working on some things, and doing less shit-talking than usual. It's just that unlike some other people we

1) Try not to tease
    2) Don't promise release dates
    3) Only show our hand, when we're sure we've got a winner
    4) Keep promises

The result is that it looks like we're not doing anything simply because you don't see it happening. We will probably end up finishing a lot of things at once, and you'll see an explosion, and it will seem like we are crazy.

Also, if you think there is a contradiction when I say we shit-talk but also keep promises, you are sadly mistaken. Shit talking occurrs when you have a statement of intent, and you fail to execute. A promise is a specific declaration that includes the word "promise".
  • Scott,

"Seem like we are crazy" ??? Too late!

:-p
  • 1) Try not to tease
    You tease me!
    The result is that it looks like we're not doing anything simply because you don't see it happening. We will probably end up finishing a lot of things at once, and you'll see an explosion, and it will seem like we are crazy.
    Eh? Explosion?