This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090303 - Quake Live

edited March 2009 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we have an interview with Luke Crane about the new Mouse Guard RPG. Then we review the Quake Live beta.

Scott's Thing - LÖVE
Rym's Thing - Pac-Man Dossier

Comments

• I think I'll listen to this episode.
  • Cool show, though the popularity of Quake Live does lead me to wonder if other old FPSes like Quake II or Tribes II will get a similar treatment
  • ... the popularity of Quake Live does lead me to wonder if other old FPSes like Quake II or Tribes II will get a similar treatment
    I don't think so. The reason Quake Live is as popular as it is now is because of the novelty. A lot of people are going to play it once, maybe twice. Another big group of people who wouldn't normally played Quake live will keep playing because they enjoy it.
  • That game, where you have to drop the chandelier on the boss: You Have to Burn the Rope.

And, man... I thought I'd be able to jump right back into Q3. It still felt slow, but my aim has gotten really bad!

My handle on there (if I happen to go back on) is zTDGz.
  • I don't think so. The reason Quake Live is as popular as it is now is because of the novelty. A lot of people are going to play it once, maybe twice. Another big group of people who wouldn't normally played Quake live will keep playing because they enjoy it.
    Actually it's more that Quake III was designed straight up as a multi-player game so it lends itself to easy online play (with little work from the developer). I think Ill actually be playing a good deal of Quake III, because it lowers the effort of getting the game going and finding a server. Think about it this way, you and your friends are looking for something to do, you could all download a game and play it online (to mixed results) or you could all log onto Quake live and within a few minutes you could be playing together easily. It's the convenience that makes Quakelive special and why I've logged in and played it almost everyday since finding out about it.
  • I don't think so. The reason Quake Live is as popular as it is now is because of the novelty. A lot of people are going to play it once, maybe twice. Another big group of people who wouldn't normally played Quake live will keep playing because they enjoy it.
    Actually it's more that Quake III was designed straight up as a multi-player game so it lends itself to easy online play (with little work from the developer). I think Ill actually be playing a good deal of Quake III, because it lowers the effort of getting the game going and finding a server. Think about it this way, you and your friends are looking for something to do, you could all download a game and play it online (to mixed results) or you could all log onto Quake live and within a few minutes you could be playing together easily. It's the convenience that makes Quakelive special and why I've logged in and played it almost everyday since finding out about it.
    I totally didn't say what I meant, but luckily you did. I agree with what you said.
  • Im sorry to be off topic but im very curious to find out if you guys (Rym and Scott) have watched the Watchmen motion comic?
    It's online on torrent sites if you want to"preview"it.Anyhow I think they did a great job on it and I would love to hear your opinion.
  • I tried setting the viewing area (I forget what it's actually called, even though it's only 1 in the morning, I'm not thinking straight) to 120 degrees and it's actually awesome looking. I think I'll practice my aiming in Quake Live some, because I've been sucking ass in Counter-Strike lately.
  • Is there a way to make the game fullscreen? I hate all that wasted space on the edges.
  • Is there a way to make the game fullscreen? I hate all that wasted space on the edges.
    It's right there in the graphics settings. :P
  • Scott, are you sure you can stand this game? It has ACHIEVEMENTS. :O
  • The Mouse Guard RPG sounds pretty great, but I think I'll read the comic first. Can't wait to hear the GeekNights review, though.
  • Scott, are you sure you can stand this game? It has ACHIEVEMENTS. :O
    OH SNAPS!
  • Hay guys great review ive allways been big into fpsing since the first time i played counter strike when i was 10 but ive allways been better at the twitch style fpses than the slow ones thanks again and hopefully i will see you guys around on quake live.
  • edited March 2009
    I got to the Expert skill level in the initial test.
    Following this, the bot killed me 7 times straight, but then I killed it 15 times straight.

I also did the tutorial a second time and found "a spooky secret."

So far I haven't had the time to play a game online, but it does seem like fun.
    I have no Quake experience to speak of, but I'm sure I can get used to it.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Rym's Thing -Pac-Man Dossier
    To add more to this, I found this from Geek Crafts. It's an illustration illustration of the source code for Pac Mac. The person who made it, has more source codes of other various Atari games.
  • Man, suddenly I was kicking ass in Quake Live. Then I look at my stats, and I realize it's because I've been dropped down a tier. :)
  • You've...gotten me addicted to it now. Got up to Advance in practice mode, where the Bot and I are more or less evenly matched at the end. Not to mention I haven't played Quake at all, maybe just a demo, but that was so long ago.
  • Man, suddenly I was kicking ass in Quake Live. Then I look at my stats, and I realize it's because I've been dropped down a tier. :)
    Where does it mention your tier? I can't find it anywhere.
    Where does it mention your tier? I can't find it anywhere.
    I don't think you're supposed to -- I found this in the forums: http://www.quakelive.com/user/load and do a find for "tier".
  • Seems that I'm tier 3.
  • edited March 2009
    Tier 2. How embarrassing.

[Edit]"TIER":"2","TIER_CTF":"3","TIER_DM":"3","TIER_DUEL":"3","TIER_TDM":"3","TIER_CA":"3"
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Tier 3 here. What does that mean? I take it Tier 3 is bad, because I suck balls at Quake.
  • Tier 3. Don't know if higher is better, or what.
  • TIER:2,TIER_CTF:3,TIER_DM:2,TIER_DUEL:3,TIER_TDM:3,TIER_CA:3
  • I was tier 3, but I stunk up the place and got dropped to tier 2. As I understand it, it only goes to tier 4 right now, but there's a tier 5 that hasn't been "opened" yet.
  • I would say that higher is better, because I suck and I'm 2, and Scott's pretty good and he's 3.
  • edited March 2009
    I haven't figured out how you play with your friends yet. My friend and I wanted to play against each other but couldn't figure out how.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I haven't figured out how you play with your friends yet. My friend and I wanted to play against each other but couldn't figure out how.
    I'm pretty sure that you add them to your friends list, and then you can see what game they're playing, and join that one.
    I would say that higher is better, because I suck and I'm 2, and Scott's pretty good and he's 3.
    Higher is better. I know because A) people in the forum said so, and B) I was doing pretty poorly when I was at 3, but whupping on everyone at 2.
  • I haven't figured out how you play with your friends yet. My friend and I wanted to play against each other but couldn't figure out how.
    I'm pretty sure that you add them to your friends list, and then you can see what game they're playing, and join that one.
    Ah. I guess I'm just used to being able to create rooms and such for friend games.