This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Teleprompter

Comments

• edited March 2009
    Joe, while I agree with you on a basic level, why are your posts always steeped in a "morning scream at Emmanuel Goldstein" adversarial flavor?
    The word "adversarial" is probably the key. I've been communicating in an adversarial system for most of my working life as an adult, so it's hard to communicate in any other way. No one I know in real life thinks I'm too adversarial, but everyone I know in real life is a lawyer.

Also, I think I have a weakness for being trolled. I think that not having grown up on the internet makes me ascribe too much seriousness to internet stupidity, and this topic is a particularly maddening bit of internet stupidity.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • The real problem is that the cons are saddened by the fact that Obama makes their last president look like an idiot. Not even the best teleprompter could help GWB.
    I agree that it's not a substantive issue. I just never worried about those who believe it is. At the end of the day, who cares? If some people think that it's important, that does not mean that it will be important. Life it too short to worry about an opposition's stance that has little, if any, worth.

The reason it's interesting is that Obama himself is interesting. When you look at what he has accomplished, it's quite amazing. That's why I find the study of the man himself to be so interesting. Not everything is about politics. Sometimes it's just about the person.

Going on Leno to try to make up for the AIG mess... that's politics. Admitting the bank intervention was a failure... that's politics. Punishing spouses and weakening companies in which you have an equity interest in an attempt to fix a screwup... that's politics.

This is just for fun.
  • edited March 2009
    Dupe post. Sorry.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • edited March 2009
    Joe, while I agree with you on a basic level, why are your posts always steeped in a "morning scream at Emmanuel Goldstein" adversarial flavor?
    You said it better, Jason. I agree. Some things are just interesting and not intended to be adversarial.
  • Also, I think I have a weakness for being trolled.
    Yes you do. You're pretty easily baited.
  • edited March 2009
    Also, I think I have a weakness for being trolled.
    Yes you do. You're pretty easily baited.
    Then I should be more devil-may-care. Accordingly, I think that what this thread needs is more pictures of office products:

Everyone post a picture of your favorite office product.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Another thing that really bothers me is the dispute over his birth place, and why he is spending millions to hide his past. In my mind, he should just come out with it and quell the argument. Any thoughts?
    It's a crazy concern raised only by crazy people.
    Actually, I am also bothered by the dispute over his birthplace. It showcases the divisiveness that is inherent in a two-party system. OK, no more derailing.

Back to the teleprompter issue, I do actually wish that more public officials could deliver speeches without one. However, when you give a ton of speeches at places all over the country, it's a little unrealistic to expect you to remember every word of every speech. Notes of some sort are a necessity, and teleprompters allow the speech to be delivered more naturally.

Some people will just try to take digs at a person, no matter how desperate it may make them seem. The political arena is notorious for this dirty fighting.
  • edited March 2009
    Joe, I don't think that becoming trollish is what people meant.

Just let people talk about what they wish to. Topically debate if desired. It's as simple as that.
  • The real problem is that the cons are saddened by the fact that Obama makes their last president look like an idiot. Not even the best teleprompter could help GWB.
    Hey, Bush screwed up a lot, but at least he didn't give one of our top allies bargain DVD's that don't even work in their country...
    Hey, Bush screwed up a lot, but at least he didn't give one of our top allies bargain DVD's that don't even work in their country...
    Yes. I see your point. Bush never did anything as bad as that. Oh, if only we had Bush back in the White House.
  • Joe, stop being a twat. Really now. You're bigger than this.
  • edited March 2009
    FRC Forums, where intelligent political discussion dies..

Also, I throughly endorse the posting of images from Plaid Stallions.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • FRC Forums, where intelligent political discussion dies.
    It never sees life in most other internet forums, so I don't think anybody here should lose their smug sense of superiority. Not that they ever would anyway, but that's why we're all here isn't it?

Speaking of office supplies, this stapler is pretty awesome.

• Without my smug sense of superiority, what else do I have?

Oh, right. Beer.
    IT'S A TRAP!

• Joe, stop being a twat. Really now. You're bigger than this.
    Also, I'd like to take this opportunity to re-emphasize my earlier rant, and this applies to everyone (but especially Steve, Kilarney, and Joe): if you're going to bicker, take it to whispers or e-mail.

@Jason: Is that from Wicker Man?
  • I didn't know the wicker man has such a big.. wick.
  • @Jason: Is that from Wicker Man?
    It's from my back yard... or a Google Images search for wicker man. One or the other. I've said too much.
  • IT'S A TRAP!

Don't tell me that was from the terrible Cage movie. I absolutely despised that ending.
  • The teleprompter gets to go to school!
    I will admit that after seeing this on the Daily Show, I LOL'd. I mean c'mon...it's an elementary school! Though I'm not sure why it has 6th grade students. I guess some places have 6th grade still in elementary school?
  • The teleprompter gets to go to school!
    I will admit that after seeing this on the Daily Show, I LOL'd. I mean c'mon...it's an elementary school! Though I'm not sure why it has 6th grade students. I guess some places have 6th grade still in elementary school?
    Some school districts organize their schools so that K-6 is elementary and 7-12 is high school. Usually these are smaller districts that do not require a separate middle school.
  • Don't tell me that was from the terrible Cage movie. I absolutely despised that ending.
    Nah, pretty sure that's from the original movie. I haven't seen it yet, but I've heard from many sources that it is better than the Nicolas Cage remake. Though I still like the remake, just because of how incredibly awful it is. NOT THE BEES!!
  • edited January 2010
    Some school districts organize their schools so that K-6 is elementary and 7-12 is high school. Usually these are smaller districts that do not require a separate middle school.
    Yeah, I heard that was the way it used to be before they separated it out. Makes sense if it's a small district and they don't need as much of a transition.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • In the school photo, are those also teleprompters on the floor? I'm used to concerts, but I don't see why Obama would need speakers on the floor.
  • In the school photo, are those also teleprompters on the floor? I'm used to concerts, but I don't see why Obama would need speakers on the floor.
    You do realize he was being broadcast nationally from a school room, just because he was talking to a class of 6th graders doesn't mean they were actually his audience.
  • edited January 2010
    The photo caption says that he was "speaking to the media." It does not mention a national telecast. Where did you get that information? I was well aware that this was a media event. The caption was quite clear.

Whatever he was doing, it's just a funny photo.

As to the boxes on the floor, I'm wondering if they are teleprompters that, when used, give the appearane of the President looking down at a fictitious piece of paper on the podium.