This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Beer Beer!

Comments

• Irish Whiskey: Taught a beleaguered people how to sing, dance, and make merry get into fistfights.
  • Irish Whiskey: Taught a beleaguered people how to sing, dance, and make merry by getting into fistfights.
  • Irish Whiskey: Taught a beleaguered people how to sing, dance, and make merryby gettinginto fistfights.
    I'm of Irish Stock, and I approve of this message. What, you wanna fight about it?
  • It is very likely that I will be going to Ireland this summer. I look forward to drinking Guinness in its homeland.
  • Only when it was watered down. If you drank it straight, the ancient civilizations thought you were a barbarian.
    But, wine then was often concentrated for shipment/storage in the first place. It had to be watered down to even be drinkable.
    Anyone have a dunce cap? I think I've lost my head.

This is PART of the beer list for Wolff's Biergarten und Wurst Haus. It's opening up in Albany this Thursday. I can not express to the forum how excited my liver is for this event.
  • I've never experimented with any interesting, non-grocery store type beers, but from what I've had I like Corona and Yuengling Black & Tan.
  • Franziskaner is my favorite beer. It travels quite well as well. Well at least from Germany to Britain anyway.
  • Two of my favorite beers would have to be Dragonhead Stout, similar to Guinness but smoother, and Taj Mahal Lager, a crisp golden beer great during the spring or summer.
  • Two of my favorite beers would have to beDragonhead Stout, similar to Guinness but smoother, andTaj Mahal Lager, a crisp golden beer great during the spring or summer.
    Dragonhead is pretty decent. You should try Skullsplitter, from the same brewery. It's very different.
  • Two of my favorite beers would have to beDragonhead Stout, similar to Guinness but smoother, andTaj Mahal Lager, a crisp golden beer great during the spring or summer.
    Dragonhead is pretty decent. You should try Skullsplitter, from the same brewery. It's very different.
    Sounds good I'll look for it. I've also been enjoying the Ommegang Bewery.
    Sounds good I'll look for it. I've also been enjoying theOmmegang Bewery.
    <3 Ommegang.
  • <3 Ommegang.

Word.
  • How the heck did I miss this thread when it first appeared? I love beer! While I wouldn't really call myself a "beer snob", I would definitely say my tastes turn away from the everyday mass-produced, "sex in a canoe" stuff that the big breweries try to pass off as beer these days. I didn't really get into beer until I was out of High School. I was one of the kids who never really got invited to the beer-bashes and my parent's didn't keep alcohol in the house (they weren't against it, they just didn't drink much), so I didn't really get into drinking beer until I reached college.

I, too, am interested in homebrewing. I had mentioned it a few times to my girlfriend and she got me a copy of John Palmer's "How to Brew" for Christmas. It has been a very interesting read so far. Unfortunately, my quest to brew my own has been put on hold for a bit until I can find a trusted and reliable provider of equipment and supplies. There is absolutely nowhere to get hombrewing equipment anywhere near the BFE where I currently live.

As for my personal tastes, they have changed quite a bit since my first Budweiser so many years ago. I like both ales and lagers, although I can't really tell them apart just by looking at them or tasting them. I tend more towards the amber and red end of the spectrum, with the occasional porter or stout thrown in there when the mood strikes me. I try to stay away from Belgian white brews and IPAs if possible - the former just taste wrong and the latter are too bitter for my palate. I really enjoy Leinenkugel's brews, especially the Red and the Creamy Dark. Their Honey Weiss and Berry Weiss are also very tasty on a hot summer day. I have also found myself enjoying Budweiser's American Ale and their sorghum brew, Redbridge. I also recently discovered Smithwick's, which I really enjoyed. I need to look around and see if I can find a local supplier that stocks it or can special-order it for me.

Anyone have suggestions for brews I might enjoy?
  • Harpoon Celtic Ale. I had a few glasses of this last night. Really deep rich color and flavor. Easily one of the best red ales out their. I've only had it on tap. So I can't really speak for the bottled variety.
  • Toña is one of the best I've tasted, if you visit Central America, look for it, shouldn't be more than $1.50 a bottle
  • @TheWhaleShark: We should see if Wolff's will let us bring in some German board games and maybe even let us start a German Board Gaming night at the bar. I know they are already planning on doing Darts Leagues. So I don't think it's too far of a strech that they would be interested in this too.
  • @TheWhaleShark: We should see if Wolff's will let us bring in some German board games and maybe even let us start a German Board Gaming night at the bar. I know they are already planning on doing Darts Leagues. So I don't think it's too far of a strech that they would be interested in this too.
    Wolff's doesn't strike me as a board game type place. I could see a chess league there, though.

It's worth a mention, though. Maybe the German guy that's a co-owner is a board gaming geek.
  • edited March 2009
    I have determined that 2 liters of beer (1 at 5.4% ABV and 1 at 7.2% ABV) in 2 hours puts me at my maximum level of enjoyable drunkenness.

Also, braised red cabbage > sauerkraut.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on

• I love the guy from Samuel Adams.
  • edited July 2009
    "We make angry beer. Angry beer makes for happy people."
    "If you listen to your beer, it will tell you things."

That guy is loco for cho-cho poofs!
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited July 2009
    That guy is from Stone Brewing Co. They make damn good beer but yeah they are a little crazy.

EDIT: Arrogant Bastard is in fact an angry beer.
    Post edited by Wyatt on
  • Arrogant Bastard is in fact an angry beer.
    QFT. AB is perhaps the angriest of beers. It's also very good, once you get past the rage.

I have a feeling that my philosophy as a brewer is going to wind up being somewhat similar to Stone. I can see my beers having similar attitudes.
  • I'm a big fan of Hoegaarden. It's a Belgian white wheat beer and is pretty distinctive. My beer tasting descriptions are even worse than my wine descriptions so I'll not even try. If I have to go with something more common, I'll usually pick a Fat Tire. After that, my selections are pretty random. I tried a Henry Weinhard's wheat beer the other day and it tasted like fruit loops. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing yet.
    It is quite unpleasant.
    It is quite unpleasant.
    It's not for you. :P
    It is quite unpleasant.
    It's notforyou. :P
    Because I am not an angry person, like some.
    It is quite unpleasant.
    It's notforyou. :P
    Because I am not an angry person,like some.
    I'M NOT ANGRY! FUCK YOU!
  • Drinking Budweiser Select at the moment. It's basically a Bud Lite that taste like a Budweiser. Kind of like Diet coke to a Coke Zero.
  • Drinking Budweiser Select at the moment. It's basically a Bud Lite that taste like a Budweiser. Kind of like Diet coke to a Coke Zero.
    I'm sorry, this is the thread for discussing beer. You can start a different thread for discussing the virtues of horse piss. :P